Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2012, 07:36 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
What about the 2 awesomest of awesome MSI and ASUS they make good AMD boards gotta say I do like the look of the Sapphire AMD 990FX boards but I'm not going to be buying a new tower for a long time now... I hope
MSI board will be in a computer I own once hell freezes over.

I think I'll wait till Foxconn has something nice out for this new proc type.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 21, 2012, 08:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
If they want to call it a core cluster then fine, that works for me, just don't call each individual unit a core unless it has all the resources it needs to act independantly. The main problem (IMO) with BD's release was that what they were calling an 8 core unit could barely hold it's own against their own previous hexacores. I also don't see how intel's naming convention isn't honest about the number of cores... it's clearly stated that hyperthreading is not a full fledged core and listed as 4 cores / 8 threads.

Now, OTOH, if (and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to demonstrate this) AMD processors can perform more simultaneous "low/medium usage" threads without a performance penalty then quite frankly there's probably a strong market for that as most folks aren't like us enthusiasts and they aren't running their gear @ 100%. Maybe we need to rethink how we benchmark, or at the very least attempt to come up with a method of testing general "snappiness" under medium loads rather than only looking at max loads.
NOW you've hit the nail on head !! .... This is the biggest problem nowadays is that there is not 1 test that can be ran that is not somehow influenced/optimized by Intel/Amd/Nvidia ...... Thats why for the most part I refer back to as skymtl has shown ...... fraps as a defaulter of things. Same as my argument with why nvidia drivers sometime preform better cause there optimized to run based on clock rates of a cpu & not the driver itself allowing the cpu indipendantly affect preformance.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
MSI board will be in a computer I own once hell freezes over.

I think I'll wait till Foxconn has something nice out for this new proc type.

-ST
Hey I said the same thing about Asus motherboards ... but unfortunately look what im running now ... ..... Then again with the deal Soul gave me on it ... its shocked me with how good this board ACTUALY is vs the gigabyte 890GX I had before it.

Same as Jetway & biostar are ususaly boards peaple steer away from but they seem to always come in as "sleeper" ones for preformance just like the new AsRock board has set the ib oc crown recently ... LOL
Old September 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
At the very least we can hope that this round of procs will be able to ourperform the PHII line without requiring massive amounts of power.
Indeed. Outperform Phenom II 980/1090/1100T and I'll more than gladly upgrade the ASUS 990X Evo board, running at home, to a Vishera. Good (enough) benchmarks first, upgrade second.
Old September 23, 2012, 12:10 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I think Piledriver is going to be disappointing to those looking for big CPU performance gains, unless the chip can clock like hell. Hoping for i5-like IPC seems a bit optimistic, considering PD is BD 2.0 architecture. Having said that, performance-per-watt and GPU performance should get good boosts.
Old September 23, 2012, 02:27 AM
Banned

Default Update

Xbitlabs further reports today:

" AMD plans to formally unwrap its long-awaited performance chip code-named Vishera on the 23th of October , according to a source. The launch details are scarce at the moment and we do not exactly know whether the company intends to unlock embargo on product reviews only, or start a massive product launch with high-availability. In previous cases, the company started to sell the product in high volume in the channel the same day as produce reviews hit the Internet."

Read more here:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/display/20120921231354_AMD_Sets_the_FX_Vishera_Launch_Date .html
Old September 23, 2012, 04:19 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
I think Piledriver is going to be disappointing to those looking for big CPU performance gains, unless the chip can clock like hell. Hoping for i5-like IPC seems a bit optimistic, considering PD is BD 2.0 architecture. Having said that, performance-per-watt and GPU performance should get good boosts.
Disapointing probably isn't the most appropriate word. I personally won't be disapointed if they don't perform as I'm not really expecting to see much out of this launch.

OTOH, I'll be pleasantly surprised (and pleased) if they do actually manage to pull a rabbit out of their hats and squeeze more than 20% performance gains with greatly lowered thermals. If the initial finger pointing over BD is to be believed, they had easy (relatively) gains in performance to be had just by getting real hands onto the design process rather than depending on software. That should have been their baseline for this release and then improvements over and above from there,

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP