LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2012, 01:54 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
True,

I wish more board partners would do AMD. I miss DFI, I hate having to wait for Egg to have new Foxxcon and the old days of Biostar.

-ST
What about the 2 awesomest of awesome MSI and ASUS they make good AMD boards gotta say I do like the look of the Sapphire AMD 990FX boards but I'm not going to be buying a new tower for a long time now... I hope
Contests will be done on there from now on :)
http://realhardwarereviews.com/
Always up for a Beer in Calgary or Area

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”
Old September 21, 2012, 04:03 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

They need a substantial improvement in gaming FPS and power consumption...hopefully this will be a step in the right direction. My x3 710 is only going to last so long, and intel is in my future unless they can fix those points.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
Banned

My guess is knowing that probly with steamroller & future there going to probly redo the 10xx chipset so it will launch with steamroller & on a new socket.

They've realized us the comsumer like the fact we can use the same socket for 2-3 revisions/newer models ... which is why they stated that with the new FM2 Trinity boards they will be futureproofed systems as all the A series chips will be on the same socket.
Old September 21, 2012, 04:38 PM
Banned

Given the price points (IF they remain around what is displayed), what a recently published online trinity moble review showed ....... These vishera's SHOULD be between a i5/i7 sandy/ivy* bridge in preformance.

Either way .... as long as US that choose to use/support amd cpu's keep a realistic mindset on them we shouldnt be disapointed by them .... in fact i think this is just the starting point of where we start seeing things get better & hopefully the next generation cpu they are designing will evolve from this design/liano's into a stronger overall solution for consumers period.

Take this 1 with a grain of salt .. but they have rumored a 10 cored FX chip as well based on vishera for this round of cpu's ....
Old September 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soullessone21 View Post
What about the 2 awesomest of awesome MSI and ASUS they make good AMD boards
I already own the Crosshair V, so I think I'm gone build a new one with the MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
Old September 21, 2012, 05:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Given the price points (IF they remain around what is displayed), what a recently published online trinity moble review showed ....... These vishera's SHOULD be between a i5/i7 sandy/ivy* bridge in preformance.

Either way .... as long as US that choose to use/support amd cpu's keep a realistic mindset on them we shouldnt be disapointed by them .... in fact i think this is just the starting point of where we start seeing things get better & hopefully the next generation cpu they are designing will evolve from this design/liano's into a stronger overall solution for consumers period.

Take this 1 with a grain of salt .. but they have rumored a 10 cored FX chip as well based on vishera for this round of cpu's ....
Well I wish them luck, but I sure as heck won't be pre-ordering one until I see the benchmarks on them. If they really want to do themselves a favour, they can start with a little truth in advertising by changing what they're calling a core.

At the very least we can hope that this round of procs will be able to ourperform the PHII line without requiring massive amounts of power.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old September 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Well I wish them luck, but I sure as heck won't be pre-ordering one until I see the benchmarks on them. If they really want to do themselves a favour, they can start with a little truth in advertising by changing what they're calling a core.

At the very least we can hope that this round of procs will be able to ourperform the PHII line without requiring massive amounts of power.

+1 when you buy a new gen intel cpu you know what you are getting, when you pre-order amd you're throwing the dice for the most part.
Old September 21, 2012, 05:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post

I agree with you there in your post accept for the bolded point. Not to try to get this debate going again .... but to me .... intel is more guilty of doin so back in the day then amd is. As for why i disagree with you is simple .... if you have 1 lego "block" its 1 ... but put 4 of them together its still called a "block". IF you wanted to go 1 step further ... what they SHOULD actualy call it is a "cluster core" as it does contain more then 1 core/head in a modual.
Old September 21, 2012, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Shake_ View Post
+1 when you buy a new gen intel cpu you know what you are getting, when you pre-order amd you're throwing the dice for the most part.
It's only current fx CPU that have had this issue. For the most part their CPU have always progressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post

But other than bragging rights of number of cores, what is the point if they perform worse than a competing companies 4 or 6 core? That said I would love it if they had a ten core CPU that was comparable to an i5 or i7 in performance and power consumption. I have only had and in my desktops and would like to keep I that way.
Old September 21, 2012, 05:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If they want to call it a core cluster then fine, that works for me, just don't call each individual unit a core unless it has all the resources it needs to act independantly. The main problem (IMO) with BD's release was that what they were calling an 8 core unit could barely hold it's own against their own previous hexacores. I also don't see how intel's naming convention isn't honest about the number of cores... it's clearly stated that hyperthreading is not a full fledged core and listed as 4 cores / 8 threads.

Now, OTOH, if (and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to demonstrate this) AMD processors can perform more simultaneous "low/medium usage" threads without a performance penalty then quite frankly there's probably a strong market for that as most folks aren't like us enthusiasts and they aren't running their gear @ 100%. Maybe we need to rethink how we benchmark, or at the very least attempt to come up with a method of testing general "snappiness" under medium loads rather than only looking at max loads.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP