Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 11, 2012, 07:34 PM
Banned

Default Vishera FX suposivly @ 5 ghz at amd demo

Take it for what its worth this was posted on amd's fb page:

" We spent our first day in the St. Regis San Francisco Presidential Suite briefing journalist on our latest AMD technology! One of the most popular demos is our “Vishera” FX chip running at 5GHz on water cooling! Check out this picture of the rig!"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/AMD

Looks like again self sealed single 120 mm water solution being used ..

Old September 11, 2012, 07:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

To me its not about the Hz's achieved, its how well the 'cores' are utilized and what that means real world.
Let me see some improvement on that front and I'll be happy. I really am looking for a reason to have an AMD rig again.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
To me its not about the Hz's achieved, its how well the 'cores' are utilized and what that means real world.
Let me see some improvement on that front and I'll be happy. I really am looking for a reason to have an AMD rig again.

-ST
Agreed. The 8150 could hit 5GHz, and the 2500k smoked it at the same clock with half the cores. Jump to an i7 and it gets destroyed. I'll reserve all judgement until I see some real world benchmarks lined up to purchase price.
Old September 11, 2012, 07:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

the only issue i have with that is, when at 5ghz is it as fast as a competing ivy or sandy chip at the same clock speeds or is it some kind of dick waving contest?
Old September 11, 2012, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Not sure if I can post this link but, a little more info here:AMD
Old September 11, 2012, 08:08 PM
Allstar

As someone that has a 8150 to play with, and have tried this on a few... hitting 5Ghz on a closed loop water kit is pretty damn rare and not a 24/7 OC. This was one of the big claims they made for the 8150 was the massive OC room. I would say standard OC is 4.6-4.8Ghz for 24/7. So I take even the Ghz as a grain of salt.

They make it run cooler and give that 15-20% performance jump with a real world everyday OC at 5Ghz I will be happy in the short term. It would help repair some of the rage.
Old September 11, 2012, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
As someone that has a 8150 to play with, and have tried this on a few... hitting 5Ghz on a closed loop water kit is pretty damn rare and not a 24/7 OC. This was one of the big claims they made for the 8150 was the massive OC room. I would say standard OC is 4.6-4.8Ghz for 24/7. So I take even the Ghz as a grain of salt.

They make it run cooler and give that 15-20% performance jump with a real world everyday OC at 5Ghz I will be happy in the short term. It would help repair some of the rage.

That is what they are saying there shootin for .... If the trinity based A series chips have shown anything ... it should be about so ...

What has me curious is if there gonna launch a 5 unit (10 core) desktop version of it ..... Also sounds like steamroller will be a revised packaging by the anouncement of 10xx series chipsets being pushed back to 2H 2013.
Old September 12, 2012, 01:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

The 15-20% jump is nothing new. That has been on AMD's "road map" for a while now. Even with the magical improvements on Steamroller, where some claims have been made of 50% improvement (which would be great), as a result of the architectural improvements; there are two factors that influence enthusiasts' decisions - real-world performance and price. Unless you have some actual reason to care for price-per-watt performance (and alike) BS metrics, all that does is just there to muddy the waters. Vishera is not going to be anything earth shattering. And by the time Steamroller, rollers around, you will most likely need a new motherboard due to a new socket - would be nice if not.
Old September 12, 2012, 06:36 PM
Banned

According to fud's interview with the 1 amd rep, seems they plan to keep the FM-2 socket around for awhile ...

And yes hopefully they change over in 2013 to the new chipset/socket & plan to again leave it like that for awhile. Also now that they will have a fab friendly design with pile & steamroller its gonna make getting the chips produced easier then it has been.