Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2008, 01:11 PM
Top Prospect

Well I don't know were I saw it for 2009 buy I did quickly find this. Intel pledges 80 cores in five years - CNET News.com
Old April 19, 2008, 05:21 PM
Top Prospect

I don't really believe that. But we'll see when we get there, I suppose.
Old April 23, 2008, 11:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdf22 View Post
I don't really believe that. But we'll see when we get there, I suppose.

I agree I don't think were going to see them anytime soon. Quad Core heatsinks are big enough,I am not sure I want to see what the heatsink on that thing looks like.
Old April 23, 2008, 12:03 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Actually, when you think of what most folks are doing with their computers these days, multi-cores makes a lot more sense than higher clock speed.

Multi-cores might not benefit most gamers as those are looking for pure processing power, but imagine how well multi-cores work for the average computer user who wants to run 6 or 7 non-intensive apps at once. Rather than having to share processor time, each app can have a dedicated core all to itself.

I'm not sure if XP is smart enough to do that, but folks who know a bit about the way things work can easily set it up in task manager to run individual apps on separate cores.

That my freinds (IMO) is the wave of the future!! :)
Windows does process affinity automatically; you can bypass it to run on a particular core if you want though with the Task manager.
Its actually thread affinity that XP does though, meaning if a process opens multiple threads they may run on different cores, if allowed.
Right now I have 51 processes, with 507 threads. If I open Outlook, I have 52 processes and 521 threads.
Most programs are multi-threaded, and windows will automatically assign them to the cores available according to load.
I wont even go into games here,
but Id love to have my 500+ threads spread out over 12 cores rather than just 2.
Old April 23, 2008, 09:53 PM
Rookie

It,s definately getting interesting I remember reading intel talking about a 80 core cpu last year.. But sandy bridge due out in 2010 I believe is scalaeable to possibly 32 cores at upto 4GHZ on each core..The next few years are going to be interesting I just hope the software developers can keep up with the hardware..
Old April 29, 2008, 04:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yea Intel said they would have around 88 cores i read in article but im not sure if the date was 2009 i think they said something like 10 years from now or 5 years from now i read it awhile back.
Old May 25, 2008, 06:09 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuxTux View Post
Didn't Intel say that there going to have 80 or 88 cores by the end of 2009?
Well they're saying Larrabee will have between 4-24 cores, based on the Pentium MMX if I'm not mistaken. Not sure how many the gfx card version of Larrabee will have, probably more than fewer.
Athlon 64 3400+ Clawhammer Core @ 2.2GHz
Mobility Radeon 9700, 128mb. 1680 by 1050
1024mb PC2700
60gb 7200 Hitachi HGST Travelstar
Old May 27, 2008, 06:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default why is it so difficult.......

Just wondering why it is so difficult to make use of 4 plus cores for gaming--not a rant or anything. Just curious as to what the constraints are on the programmers.

Seems like software programming is pretty inflexible for some reason when it comes to games-is it to do with the 32 or 64 bit operating system?

Supercomputers seem to make use of 10's of thousands of cores to run simulations but I guess they have some serious resources available for software development and branched off from the "architecture" that we use a long time ago.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.

Last edited by magictorch; May 27, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old May 27, 2008, 05:28 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideleader View Post
When did they say that?

As impressive as 12 cores sounds for mainstream computing, AMD seems to be lacking power and most games are not even quad core optmized yet, by the end of this year, we might start to see some quad-core optmization, not 6 core and far from 12 cores.

Though 12 cores on one die will be great for businesses and servers, games now are mostly GFX reliant anyway.

i was under the impression software was either designed for single core use or multiple core use.....as in it doesn't matter if you have 2 cores or 200000000000 cores because once the software is designed for multiple cores it will use all the available cores

please someone do correct me if im wrong
Old May 31, 2008, 12:04 PM
Rookie

Ill wait for 128 cores in 2018