Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2012, 05:10 AM
MVP

Default Boxee Box dead in Oct.

A recent post on the Boxee forums points to the Boxee Box being discontinued as of October this year. According to a Best Buy employee he found the end of sale date in their computer system. There is also rumors of a Boxee Box 2 to come out at the end of this year.

Personally I sold my Boxee Box as Boxee has pretty much stopped supporting it months ago. None of the long outstanding bugs are being fixed and the JIRA hasn't budged in ages.

The boxee team has started banning people who complain about the bugs not being fixed on their forums as well. Quite pathetic.

It was a great product with a lot of great potential. Its too bad it had such a crappy team behind it.

I switched to XBMC and will never look back.
Old July 8, 2012, 04:35 PM
Rookie

I have a Boxee box. I like it, there are some issues with it but it was only like 150. My sister wanted one but I build her a HTPC instead. COst like 300 total for good components including case and added a 2tb hd.

Works awsome, installed SickBeard to auto download tv shows from newgroups and XBMC.
Old July 8, 2012, 09:30 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I own one, no issues- but really it only streams MKV's from my WHS and plays Netflix.

Other than the remote, I'm quite happy with it.

Old July 10, 2012, 05:19 AM
MVP

I loved it when I bought it but then it was one bug or lost feature after another.
First it was audio problems in netflix, then audio problems with HD audio, then it was the lack of a flash update and 75% of the shows I watched disappearing(adobes fault), and then there was RTMP no longer working. Soon after that it became impossible to turn off the box with the remote, and turning it off by holding the button down damages external harddrives. Unless you wait 30secs at the home screen you can't turn it off with the remote.
The box would never scrape my media properly, XBMC picks up 99% compared to boxee picking up 50%(feeling generous with that figure).
They've also removed features for no appearent reason too. Like custom zoom. You can still zoom but only at pre-defined lvls, you used to be able to zoom however you wanted.

I bought it to use as advertised and wanted a bit of every feature it said it could do. Today it can only do the bare minimum well. The same bare minimum that devices half its price are now capable of.

Team Boxee needs to take their head out of the cloud and start focusing on fixing the current box before releasing the next gen. I for one will never buy anything with Boxee written on it not unless Team Boxee acknowledges how they've been a complete failure with the original box. Imo anyone who owns the current box should be giving a next gen box when they are produced. Folks are pretty pissed with boxee, even going as far as discussing class action law suits.

Its sad what a great device has been reduced to just because of a terrible team behind it.
Old July 21, 2012, 04:02 AM
MVP

Folks over on the boxee forums are dumping boxees left right and centre since XBMC made the announcement that its now available for Android.
Still no word from Boxee on any bug fixes what so ever. I'd be rather peeved if I still had my Boxee. Glad I switched to XBMC ages ago.
Old September 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
Rookie

I just wish they would keep selling the standalone remote with RF dongle. That remote rocks. Sadly, it has been discontinued already.
Old September 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
MVP

I agree. The remote is awesome. I own a Rii Mini N7 right now for my htpc and its decent. Kids lost it somewhere about 2 months ago. Been eyeing the Lenovo N5902A as a replacement. Looks pretty good and not much bigger than the boxee remote.

Lenovo N5902A Wireless Multimedia Remote With Keyboard