Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   AMD 7990 ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/55211-amd-7990-a.html)

bgf July 3, 2012 11:16 AM

AMD 7990 ?
 
I have been waiting for the 7990 it seems for ever. I heard it would be released in April, May, June and then at Computex but still nothing. Has anyone heard of any new rumors about this cards release date ????

GT7R July 4, 2012 03:26 AM

Nothing seems to be in the horizon... AMD probably realized they won't be able to compete with the 690 for the dual GPU crown (power, heat performance) and was concentrating on improving the 7970 (GHz edition) for a much more selling potential.

bgf July 4, 2012 02:44 PM

Thanks GT7R I was thinking the same thing, but I am hoping for a better price than the 690. I guess I will just have to wait and see. Thanks again.

powerbench July 8, 2012 06:53 PM

7970
 
It loks like AMD has to make a more powerful statement to buy back marketshare.

dandelioneater July 8, 2012 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powerbench (Post 640716)
It loks like AMD has to make a more powerful statement to buy back marketshare.


I think they have reduced prices enough in the last month or so to reflect their cards performance in relation to the competition. NCIX has xfx 7970 Double D's right now for $430, and the cheapest 680 around these days is about $100 more than that. I think with good pricing they can do ok.

pentiumvi July 12, 2012 08:02 PM

Like above posters have said, I don't really think AMD is in a good position to release the 7990.

Keywork July 13, 2012 06:33 AM

I think more people are waiting for the GTX 660 and such to drop.

great_big_abyss July 16, 2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GT7R (Post 639363)
Nothing seems to be in the horizon... AMD probably realized they won't be able to compete with the 690 for the dual GPU crown (power, heat performance) and was concentrating on improving the 7970 (GHz edition) for a much more selling potential.

Sigh, more speculation. There could very well be a market for an AMD dual GPU solution. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there is a gap between the GTX680/7970 ($500) and the GTX690 ($1000). And it's a pretty HUGE gap. AMD doesn't HAVE to compete with the GTX690. All they have to do is come somewhere between the GTX680 and the 690. Maybe a dual 7950 solution priced at $800. They could do a 'crappy' (i.e. not up to the standards of the GTX690) reference heatsink solution, and then let their board partners come up with pimp cooling solutions.

powerbench July 16, 2012 08:55 AM

They may be working on something big to take back the crown

Soultribunal July 16, 2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by great_big_abyss (Post 642517)
Sigh, more speculation. There could very well be a market for an AMD dual GPU solution. I'm not sure if you've noticed, but there is a gap between the GTX680/7970 ($500) and the GTX690 ($1000). And it's a pretty HUGE gap. AMD doesn't HAVE to compete with the GTX690. All they have to do is come somewhere between the GTX680 and the 690. Maybe a dual 7950 solution priced at $800. They could do a 'crappy' (i.e. not up to the standards of the GTX690) reference heatsink solution, and then let their board partners come up with pimp cooling solutions.

I'd honestly say we haven't seen one yet because of the power envelope of either a dual 7950/7970 setup is too much for a single card, at reasonable clocks. Same reason for no 490's back in the day of Fermi.
Not to say there isn't something in the works, one is always hopeful but I bet they are running into issues.

-ST


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:23 PM.