Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   AMD 7000 series low profile/HTPC card (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/54070-amd-7000-series-low-profile-htpc-card.html)

MARSTG May 8, 2012 11:42 AM

AMD 7000 series low profile/HTPC card

Will AMD release low profile/HTPC cards from the new 7000 series? I would really like to upgrade my old workstation with something beefier than just a GT430. I am constrained to low profile form factor for space consideration.

Adzsask May 8, 2012 12:08 PM

Here you are sir, the best single slot card made, not sure where to find one though.
AFOX

JJThomp May 8, 2012 12:28 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but 1 slot =/= low profile... Low profile actually has a different mounting bracket and has a smaller width as well I think.

moocow May 8, 2012 01:40 PM

Low profile is actually a half height card. You can see those in low end cards like my old Nvidia 9400GT where you can unplug the VGA and swap to a half height bracket.

EmptyMellon May 8, 2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 627672)
Will AMD release low profile/HTPC cards from the new 7000 series? I would really like to upgrade my old workstation with something beefier than just a GT430. I am constrained to low profile form factor for space consideration.

At this point in time there appears to be no LP AMD 7000 series cards. Even if you got a LP kit from HIS or XFX, the card's PCB is full hight.

MARSTG May 8, 2012 03:54 PM

I wouldn't mind the full height profile but can you attach a LP kit to a full height card? Adzsask : single slot is not low profile, is just single slot.

EmptyMellon May 8, 2012 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 627723)
I wouldn't mind the full height profile but can you attach a LP kit to a full height card? Adzsask : single slot is not low profile, is just single slot.

I don't see why not. Of course you would loose a port or two, depending on your new card's video connector layout and the type of LP bracket you would use (Newegg.ca - XFX Low Profile Bracket Kit Model MA-BK01-LP1K). So, if you only use DVI there is nothing to loose - plus or minus a display port or HDMI.

MARSTG May 9, 2012 07:22 AM

Indeed, is just that the lowest DVI port needs to be followed by an HDMI or DP port otherwise with 2 DVI ports close the LP bracket won't fit. And I see that 7750 does not require a 6 pin power plug either.

EmptyMellon May 9, 2012 11:47 AM

There are few cards these days that have dual DVI connector layout (i.e. nVidia Quadro 2000D); I don't think any current (2012) generation cards even have dual DVI. Plus you can pre-view the prospective card(s) before purchase, so you should not have any surprises, should you decide to go that route.

Another option, try to contact XFX, ASUS or any other LP producing vendors (through their customer service) to see if they are planning on pushing out any LP versions of the HD 7000 series. Mind you, if you can fit a full-sized card with a LP bracket in your system, it would be lot nicer to have a full-sized HS fan then those squealing LP versions.

MARSTG May 11, 2012 07:18 AM

Yeah, I hear you, I might even go for the reviewed model of HD7750, the HIS iCooler because it would allow me to install a LP bracket that would give access to the DVI and HDMI port. the HDMI port serves to nothing for me and the LP bracket is just to serve as attaching point to the case so it would stay safe in position. But I will wait a bit for AMD to next wave of price cuts. I heard the WEI of the HD7750 is 7.4 while my GT430 with 296.10 driver gives just 5.7