Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   Acer to enter Console Market? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/5120-acer-enter-console-market.html)

Babrbarossa March 17, 2008 08:02 AM

Acer to enter Console Market?

This article reports that Acer is going to build 'open standards' based gaming consoles which could turn out to be anything, but I, for one hope it works out- not because I want to buy one of the hunks of junk, but because it will be a boon for PC gaming if they are in fact based on open standards and do end up selling well.

Acer eyes future desktop systems, including game machine

March 13, 2008, 10:14 AM

Over the next year, Taiwan-based notebook PC maker Acer will start to produce desktop units under the Acer brand...and a senior Acer official told BetaNews yesterday that a PC-based game machine is one of the ideas being bandied about.
NEW YORK CITY (BetaNews) - Right now, the Acer brand name is still equated with PC notebooks only, despite Acer's acquisition of Gateway. But in an interview with BetaNews at its press event on Wednesday, Acer's senior vice president, James T. Wong, said that his company has a game machine in mind, and that it will be based on "open standards."

"If you look at most of the other game machines that are out there right now -- Nintendo's, the Xbox -- they are 'closed' and proprietary systems," he told BetaNews.
Wong said that, beyond "openness," all of the Acer-branded systems being eyed right now, including the game machine, are envisioned as offering new and innovative form factors and applications.
In addition to its future Acer-branded desktop PCs, however, Acer will also provide desktop systems under the Gateway name, as well as under the eMachines and Packard Bell brands inherited through the Gateway buyout, according to the senior VP. The Acer, Gateway, eMachines, and Packard Bell desktop systems will each incorporate two separate line-ups, one for consumers and the other for SMBs (small to medium-sized businesses), he said.
During a press conference attended by BetaNews earlier on Wednesday, which focused mainly on Acer's notebook PC products and strategy, officials cited Gateway's expertise in desktop systems as a big reason for buying that company.
But Wong told BetaNews that Acer had already been making desktop PCs for other vendors, anyway, with desktop systems constituting some 30 percent of Acer's huge OEM business.
Acer, though, will not be offering either desktop or notebook PCs geared to enterprise use, at least for now, according to the executive.
"You need different kinds of resources for [enterprise systems], and we don't have those kinds of resources right now," he told BetaNews.

From BetaNews

Thund3rball March 17, 2008 08:09 AM

I am not sure I get this.. Acer wants to build a console that is essentially a PC? If that's what this means then how do they expect this to go over? People buy consoles because they are virtually trouble free gaming. PCs usually require some form of user intervention to get the game to run properly (i.e. patches, drivers, modifying files etc...). Might as well buy a PC no? Maybe I am missing something :\

Cheator March 17, 2008 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thund3rball (Post 46536)
I am not sure I get this.. Acer wants to build a console that is essentially a PC? If that's what this means then how do they expect this to go over? People buy consoles because they are virtually trouble free gaming. PCs usually require some form of user intervention to get the game to run properly (i.e. patches, drivers, modifying files etc...). Might as well buy a PC no? Maybe I am missing something :\

I think thats the point. I've always felt that a PC Console would make sense. Imagine if you have joe shmoe that needs no intervention to play his games? No drivers, no setup, and he is guarenteed to be able to play a game that he buys, because his system guarentees the minimum requirement, even if he doesn't know what that means.

I don't know how well it would go over, but its a good idea.

Mr. Cipher March 17, 2008 08:29 AM

Awesome. I don't really like consoles and am tired of seeing amazing ads for games that I want to get, but cannot because they are not for PC.

James_8970 March 25, 2008 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Cipher (Post 46543)
Awesome. I don't really like consoles and am tired of seeing amazing ads for games that I want to get, but cannot because they are not for PC.

Yup, same here.
James

vinister March 25, 2008 08:10 PM

This is kind of the beginning of incremental platform changes for PC's. Imagine, instead of random technologies emerging at random times creating thousands of possible system configs, imagine an annual or bi-annual hardware spec revision. PC 1.0, PC 2.0, PC 3.0, etc etc equivalent to (eg) playstation 1, ps2, ps3, etc etc. So the games would be created to run on PC 2.0, and they would be guaranteed to run, so long as your hardware 'brand' has stuck to the PC 2.0 spec. You could still have a better 'PC 2.0' than your buddy, and you would just get higher framerates, but you will both see the same game with the same features because you are on the same 'spec'. This would work well with current DirectX development, which seems to be every 1.5 to 2 years between versions.

This would also help new technology innovations 'line up', so users could take advantage of new tech sooner rather than waiting for all the supporting tech to follow. Like in 2008 the big leaps would be DX10, Blu-ray, Quad-core, multi-gpu cards, and the supporting tech (mobos etc). If these had been grouped together into a spec package, then games could be designed that spec instead of for "thousands of random systems cobbled together from new and old parts". Games would run much better and more predictably, and more time could be spent coming up with creative content instead of wasted on trying to get the last game to play correctly on xx hardware config.

Some say this would slow down hardware development, I say the opposite, because pc's would be so much less mystical and a much better alternative to consoles. Consoles don't evolve often enough, computers too often, this would be like a happy medium. And since PC 3 would not have to be compatible with PC 2, the new motherboards would not have to work with the old parts, thus there is much less time spent integrating and troubleshooting, and much more time to work on PC4, etc. By having everyone working towards a common platform, we could eliminate so much compatibility bullshit and concentrate on making the hardware and software better for the next revision.

The only problem is getting these competing companies to work together on a common platform... and well, hasn't that been the problem with computers since the 70's?

Good for Acer, if they get the right partners, I think so far its not a bad idea at all.

Babrbarossa March 26, 2008 04:30 AM

Acer responded to this story yesterday and claimed that it was a miscommunication and that they don't intend on building a console.

Keir April 19, 2008 12:54 PM

There are already too many consoles. Trust me.

Xbox, Xbox360, PS2, PS3, PSP, Wii, Nintendo DS, Cell Phones ( yes they count, big money ). A common console would rule all, but its very unlikely to happen. The only people that really want it are game developers, and the answer is generally a resounding " tough shit " kind of thing. To some degree console competition is a good thing, innovations like the Wii, may not have happened without this competition.

I'll agree that this ' exclusivity ' is bullshit though, I'm sick of games coming out for all the consoles but not a PC. When you can be GUARANTEED that it was running on a PC at some point in its development. The main reason is the fact that PC games are often pirated, and sales are extremely low. At the same time, they do very little to stop people pirating it, when they release it a year later and its not new content anymore.

Para_Franck April 19, 2008 01:52 PM

If I remenber correctly, a few days after this rumor was posted, it was crashed by ACER representatives. It was stated taht by this information, they ment that ther will focus more on gaming notebooks, not a gaming console.

sswilson April 19, 2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Para_Franck (Post 52688)
If I remenber correctly, a few days after this rumor was posted, it was crashed by ACER representatives. It was stated taht by this information, they ment that ther will focus more on gaming notebooks, not a gaming console.

Look up!!! :)

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...html#post48282