Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 23, 2012, 05:57 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You guys, like most people talking about this on PC enthusiast forums, are just not looking at this properly. 90% of the console gaming world does not have $1000+ to build an enthusiast grade PC and then add another $200+ for a bigscreen monitor. Most people CAN afford $300-500 for a console and then use it on the big screen LCD TV which most of us already own. This is simple economics and a large majority of the world will continue to buy 720p optimized consoles that offers most of the same experience that a PC costing 3X (or more) over buying an expensive PC.

The problem with PC gaming is still the PC. The problem with console gaming is that people that own PC's think a small low price box should perform the same as their PC.

I also have a HD6670 in my new PC and it games very well at 1600X1200 so for those that doubt the newer GPU's you are just again not looking at the big picture.
Old March 23, 2012, 07:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

+1

After Blackops, MW3, BF3 and all my PC upgrades this round I'm officially done with PC gaming. I think im starting to fall into the category of only wanting to spend $600+/- for 6-10 years of gaming with mediocre graphics then pay anywhere from $500-$1200 every 2-4 years for hi-res graphics and shitty supports.

PC titles just arent the focus anymore in todays industry and I can only see it getting worse in the years to come.
Old March 23, 2012, 08:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
No it isn't. Not if you're over 12. :P
Hey, Mario is great, and Donkey Kong is good too.

But yes, that vast majority of games on the Wii are better for kids.

Old March 23, 2012, 09:42 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I spent less building my entire PC than it costs for a high end graphics card. I will just not buy into the viscous PC upgrade cycle anymore to play games. I am out of the hobby, I just want to play the games that I like and I don't need $500+ video cards to do it. TO each their own, but high end PC's are a massive waste of money.
Old March 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post
+1

After Blackops, MW3, BF3 and all my PC upgrades this round I'm officially done with PC gaming. I think im starting to fall into the category of only wanting to spend $600+/- for 6-10 years of gaming with mediocre graphics then pay anywhere from $500-$1200 every 2-4 years for hi-res graphics and shitty supports.

PC titles just arent the focus anymore in todays industry and I can only see it getting worse in the years to come.
Well there is your problem. You need to play more than just FPS. Reasons why I love the PC is you wont find Total War, or Hearts Of Iron 3 on consoles. You also wont find Planetside 2. Not to mention the lack of mods. PC is by far the best. There is no comparison. Oh and last I checked there are better FPS's than MW3 and BF3. Not to mention sure you can play BF3 on consoles but you are limited to 24 players. Sure you could play Skyrim on consoles but you don't get any mods. Not to mention both look MUCH better on PC especially Skyrim when you add graphical mods.

Every once in awhile I fell the same way as you. Then I play a console game and don't turn back for another 5 years.

Oh and the part about money. Last I checked most people have computers. Most kids I know have a laptop and most of those laptops can play the majority of PC games. Not to mention if people put a few hundred extra into their PC they would be able to play games. I mean all it take is an $800 desktop or $1000 laptop and you should be set. Not to mention people will save money on games. Free to play is huge on PC and most PC games go on sale quickly and are cheaper on launch.

Lets say someone buys a respectable 6 games a year. So $360 worh for console (6 games at $60 some games are now $70 and you may buy a collectors which may be more). On PC those same games would be anywhere from $170-$300. Not to mention some may even be free.

Or there could be another scenario where you mostly played free to play games and only bought a couple non FTP games. So $60 a year on games. So every year you could put in $300 into your PC.

Not to mention PC has so much better social aspects to it. Most of my friends are on their PC's a lot of the weekend and some week nights. We are always on skype, facebook, steam chat or something else. Voice communication is hands down better on PC. We also host our own servers and that is a lot of fun. Also if I am working on something I can upload it and they can download it(like a minecraft world or a picture of your mom).

Then the accessories are so much better on PC. If you love racing or flying or even war sims the PC dominates. From better joysticks to racing wheels, to ir face tracking cameras. You can get better immersion. Here is a great example and wish more games supported it. TrackIR5 & ArmA2 Premiere (TrackIR 5) - YouTube

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 26, 2012, 05:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No, no, no and just plain no.

I have 2 kids under 18. #1, they won't be getting gaming laptops anytime soon. Second, I won't be spending even $800 each on PC's anytime soon. Gaming computers are OK for people that can afford them. I can't and neither can the majority of people who buy consoles.

As for the social stuff, that is why I make my kids go outside to play. Social networking is not meant for kids. They need actual physical interaction and actual physical playtime.

Gaming PC's is a hobby. It is a very small part of the PC market. You gotta upgrade semi-anually to keep up with the latest games unless you want to turn the graphics down to console levels. Sure I used to love my high res gaming. I simply cannot afford it at all.
Old March 26, 2012, 05:44 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtokaos View Post

I simply don't find it possible to play FPS on console at a more than average level. You can't respond as fast, aim as quickly and accurately... the whole point and excitement just isn't there.
Old March 26, 2012, 09:13 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post

I have 2 kids under 18. #1, they won't be getting gaming laptops anytime soon. Second, I won't be spending even $800 each on PC's anytime soon. Gaming computers are OK for people that can afford them. I can't and neither can the majority of people who buy consoles.

As for the social stuff, that is why I make my kids go outside to play. Social networking is not meant for kids. They need actual physical interaction and actual physical playtime.

Gaming PC's is a hobby. It is a very small part of the PC market. You gotta upgrade semi-anually to keep up with the latest games unless you want to turn the graphics down to console levels. Sure I used to love my high res gaming. I simply cannot afford it at all.
I think the trade off is about even if you play enough games to be able to take advantage of all the insane sales that PC games have (steam, etc). You don't often get the chance to buy console games for $2.50 - $5 each so if you play often, you'll probably save in the long run. And that's not counting if you pirate your games.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old March 26, 2012, 10:18 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Who buys children $800 gaming PC's?, for under $500 you can build a solid machine to last years, and the money argument is moot. We all know PC games are a ton cheaper, and if you buy titles like I do, you would actually save by gaming on a computer(I buy around 3-5 games per month under$30, but if it were for console it would be 50-60 a piece). Also, I was gaming in 720p years ago on my first ever PC, and sadly it looked better then the clips of people gaming on the xbox 720.
Old March 26, 2012, 12:23 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post

Well when I grew up we didn't each have our own computers. We had the "family computer." So $800 is pretty cheap for a family computer. I worked as a kid and bought most of my games except for Christmas and my birthday. I remember spending $60 a month on games. Pretty much every penny I and my 2 brothers made. Back then computers were pretty expensive. My dad had like a $2500 desktop and that could barely play 3d games. Now PC's are so cheap. Literally you can build a cheap $500 PC and play most games. Especially if you get used parts. The biggest problem though is that you will want to play games that your friends are playing. So that will most likely mean consoles. I remember my first PC. I saved money doing things like sears catalogues and working various jobs and it cost $800 including everything. It could play all the latest games. I was 15 then.

While I agree face to face social interaction is best but this day and age you will get far more social interaction than any other time period in history. I was making a point that on PC the social interaction is better than consoles. Now that I am much older I can't see my friends every day let alone once a month. I find I am much more social now than I was in high school thanks to things like skype and facebook. I would like to spend time with my friends but everyone is busy. In school that is different as you see them almost every day at school and usually at least once a week at somebodies house. Don't know where I am getting at so will leave it at that.

As far as the last point. I agree that it is a luxury. I agree that if you can't afford it don't do it. That is a wise thing to do. That same $800 may be better spent on a family vacation which I think spending time with your family is very important and a lot of kids don't get a lot of that.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."