Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You will just have to play ARMA 3 on PC in 2013/4 instead of getting BF4 for Xbox 720!
:P
Old January 29, 2012, 01:36 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
I think that in many ways, the pace of PC GPU development has now out-paced the ability of large dev teams to adapt to regularly. This is the case for PC only games too. But AMD and nvidia need to sell us something new every year regardless.

My hope for PC gaming isn't that we get version 10 of the same old crap, but that developers innovate and do something new - something disruptive that eventually changes mainstream gaming like PC gaming of the late 90s has.
Of course that would be a best case scenario, but most of what we get will be ports. I have no doubt that anything based on the 6670 will work great in a console when it comes out, its the games 1 or 2 years after the 720 is released that I am wondering about.

It could very well be that they want to go back to releasing a new system more often then once every 8 or 9 years though.
Old January 29, 2012, 06:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agafaba View Post
Of course that would be a best case scenario, but most of what we get will be ports. I have no doubt that anything based on the 6670 will work great in a console when it comes out, its the games 1 or 2 years after the 720 is released that I am wondering about.

It could very well be that they want to go back to releasing a new system more often then once every 8 or 9 years though.
I don't know about that, Microsoft definately made a crapload of money off the 360 and it's longevity definitely had a lot to do with that. When you can compete without putting much money into RNG (which I'm only assuming they haven't otherwise we would've had a new console for a couple years now) and without bringing out new products you are in really good shape.

It is kind of like where intel is at right now, Intel doesn't have to spend the money, they are pretty much 5 years ahead right now so if they really wanted to they could just make a crapload of cash for 5 years off of IB and IB-E.

What is fortunate for Microsoft is that Sony is on the same page, they aren't pushing the envelope because Xbox isn't so for them it isn't worth the risk.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:51 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

great, my computer is still going to waste with all these console ports
Old January 30, 2012, 02:38 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I don't know about that, Microsoft definately made a crapload of money off the 360 and it's longevity definitely had a lot to do with that. When you can compete without putting much money into RNG (which I'm only assuming they haven't otherwise we would've had a new console for a couple years now) and without bringing out new products you are in really good shape.

It is kind of like where intel is at right now, Intel doesn't have to spend the money, they are pretty much 5 years ahead right now so if they really wanted to they could just make a crapload of cash for 5 years off of IB and IB-E.

What is fortunate for Microsoft is that Sony is on the same page, they aren't pushing the envelope because Xbox isn't so for them it isn't worth the risk.
They did work on the 360 even after it was released too, several reworkings of the insides and the 360 slim of course, there was also a fair bit of work put into the kinect. The PS3 did the exact same thing with several revisions and the PS move. Both have had several reworkings of the software as well, so while I doubt they are spending as much as starting from scratch, the spending never really stopped.
Old January 30, 2012, 06:50 AM
Top Prospect

Here's hoping they find a way to bump up the e-dram from 8mb to like 32mb and make it work, and not cost a fortune :P
Old January 30, 2012, 06:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hopefully we can see Xbox 360 and 720 games playable on Windows 8 machines. At least the kinect will be available to run on Win 8
Windows 8 Kinect notebook prototypes spotted - SlashGear
Old January 30, 2012, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Wow started reading comments on a console website to see their reaction. Most are still arguing if their shitbox 360 or peice of shit 3 is better. Glad I am not a console fanboy. Their life must suck if they have to troll over the same crappy box for 6+ years. I feel like making a video of "Xbox 720" graphics and just have it as Metro 2033 or heaven benchmark maxed. See what their reaction would be for current PC graphics.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 31, 2012, 01:26 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiato View Post
How well custom hardware might perform in a commodity Windows PC is irrelevant. The PC can be an awesome general purpose device, but it is always far from efficient. Console hardware is so tightly integrated that there are no reasonable comparisons such as "the Xbox 360 has the same power as a GTX xxx." Statements like that will only be true in vague, very general way and therefore are effectively worthless. How the hardware is utilized is too different.

PC gaming is a topic on its own. I don't believe that consoles "hold back" any PC games. There is no "what if" scenario; if gaming consoles didn't exist today, they'd be invented tomorrow to solve the abundant flaws in developing, supporting and playing games on a PC.

Don't get me wrong: I love PC gaming. But at the heart of PC gaming isn't Giant_Publisher_X, Big_Game_10 or GPU_10000GTXSETi. The heart of PC gaming is the freedom for devs and gamers to be disruptive by trying new things that may not be possible for purpose-built gaming hardware.
-PC's have minimal performance overhead if they're running in an optimised environment without unnecessary background tasks INITIATED BY THE USER. Windows itself and any other essential programs that run in the background of a PC use, being generous, 1.5gb of ram and maybe 5% CPU which isn't sufficient performance overhead to adversely affect gameplay on a modern day PC.

-Statements of equivalency between PC hardware and console hardware are valid, in fact I remember Capcom drawing parallels in one of their staff releases. The only time such comparisons are invalidated is when there is poor porting between systems.

-There are no major complications with PC game production, I have no idea where you got that from. The Direct X libraries for PC are the most versatile of any platform and system compatibility is basically ensured what with AMD/ATI/INTEL dominating the market and reducing component diversity. According to Valve the PS3 is the hardest platform to code for and in practicality this was evidenced by the fact that it took almost 3 years of exclusive title development for it to reach its somewhat maximal graphics potential.

The only time that games are poorly delivered on PC is when they are ported instead of developed in consideration of each platform. Fact is a PC developed game WILL PERFORM WELL, even an optimised port WILL PERFORM WELL, the only time PC doesnít perform well is where the porting is shoddy. And this is not a PC only problem the PS3 suffered for a large portion of its life from 360 ports, achieving significantly lower framerates that it could achieve because of shoddy porting. And this is why everyone in this forum is concerned about the 720 despite your insistence that consoles donít hold back PC gaming. Inadvertently devs will port games from the 720 and they will not be optimised for PC but almost a replica of their console counterparts. The more powerful the 720, the better games we get ported and the less we get held back.
Old January 31, 2012, 08:29 AM
Top Prospect

A lot of this could be fixed if PC's were simply the lead platform for all multi-platform games again.

Then for console ports they can start with lower quality textures, and disabling effects or using lower quality effects for the console version. BF3 sales sure haven't sucked on the console despite it being an absolute joke compared to PC.

Then again with the console versions outselling the PC version by such a large amount, someone at EA is going LOLWUT for sure.