Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31 (permalink)  
Old January 25, 2012, 06:12 PM
ipaine's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 2,055

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Avenger View Post
Yea it is overkill but I can always dream. I do agree there are some horrible graphics out there but for the most part console graphics aren't that terrible.
While it is true you can say that the graphics aren't terrible, the cause is because they don't have a current generation gpu. They would look way better than they do now if they had something with the same type of power as something like the 580 or the new 7900 series.

And now they are going to put a last generation chip into something that won't even be out until next year (as a guess). So really by the time it comes out it will already be two generations old or damn close to it. So again they consoles will be behind right off of the bat.
__________________
"Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong."


Reply With Quote
  #32 (permalink)  
Old January 25, 2012, 07:31 PM
JD's Avatar
JD JD is offline
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 6,896

My System Specs

Default

The reason why consoles don't look terrible is mainly due to it being displayed on a (relatively) low resolution screen from which you are sitting quite a distance from. TV's typically have better internal processing than monitors as well, which helps to lessen the blow. I believe the console itself also includes hardware upscalers to take the rendered image and transform it to 1080p output.
Reply With Quote
  #33 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2012, 07:24 AM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,066

My System Specs

Default

It will be interesting to see what the end result is, but I'm still saddened that such a small graphics unit is going into something that has been in development for so long.

-ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #34 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2012, 07:25 AM
Bao Bao is offline
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 227
Default

While I had high hopes of the next gen consoles being capable of native 1080p/60 with high details.

As JD mentions, that's not all that important.

As long as it can handle a lot of higher end PC gaming features/effects, and have a minimum resolution and performance standard of 1440x810, 60FPS (bear in mind many games are not even 1280x720, Battlefield 3 is Sub HD on PS3 & Xbox 360 ). All the Halo games and COD games are sub HD as well. COD is like 1024x611 or something weird like that.

--

Regarding MW3... since I am on the cheap drugs, I have MW3 on a decent gaming PC and the Xbox 360. Setting MW3 to max details, and textures to "Native" (Native setting tells the game to use the larger textures). The game looks great, nothing like BF3 great, but it definitely shows the difference between PC and console. Granted, I prefer to play online on Xbox Live than PC for this game (rampant aim botters on PC).

--

And console vs PC is such an old argument. I like both equally, my PC is connected to a Yamaha receiver + a Jamo 5.1 speaker set, 24 inch IPS monitor, above average performance at high details. I love it.

But sometimes it's just as fun, for different reasons to relax on the couch with a 7.2 channel setup and a 64 inch plasma with the console. I could run an HDMI cable from the gaming PC to the home theatre for games playable with gamepads... but I just prefer not to.
Reply With Quote
  #35 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2012, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,382

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bao View Post
And console vs PC is such an old argument. I like both equally, my PC is connected to a Yamaha receiver + a Jamo 5.1 speaker set, 24 inch IPS monitor, above average performance at high details. I love it.
I don't think it is the argument we are concerned about here, it's just that many of us like to play on max graphics with all the eye candy turned up. Because console gaming is such a large market more games are made specifically for console and then ported to PC (these games in all honesty look like crap compared to native PC games). So consoles really hold back the PC gamer, it isn't about "oh well this game on 1080p looks okay", it's about "this game could look so much better and we expect that because we pay for it to look better".
Reply With Quote
  #36 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2012, 09:26 AM
Silent_Avenger's Avatar
MVP
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 472

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I don't think it is the argument we are concerned about here, it's just that many of us like to play on max graphics with all the eye candy turned up. Because console gaming is such a large market more games are made specifically for console and then ported to PC (these games in all honesty look like crap compared to native PC games). So consoles really hold back the PC gamer, it isn't about "oh well this game on 1080p looks okay", it's about "this game could look so much better and we expect that because we pay for it to look better".
Yea I wish it was the other way around. Games made for the PC then ported to console with nurfed graphics.
__________________
Main System //// Dedicated Folding PC 1 //// Dedicated Folding PC 2 //// Laptop

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/DarkDivinityPC

I fold for a cure. Team 213366 and 54196.
Reply With Quote
  #37 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2012, 09:34 AM
Bao Bao is offline
Top Prospect
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 227
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
I don't think it is the argument we are concerned about here, it's just that many of us like to play on max graphics with all the eye candy turned up. Because console gaming is such a large market more games are made specifically for console and then ported to PC (these games in all honesty look like crap compared to native PC games). So consoles really hold back the PC gamer, it isn't about "oh well this game on 1080p looks okay", it's about "this game could look so much better and we expect that because we pay for it to look better".
It's unfortunate I guess. But oh well, these guys aren't your friend, they only care about profits.

Even the great PC game, BF3 isn't exactly selling very well vs the spayed and neutered console version.

1.31 million on PC, 5.17 million on Xbox 360, 4.27 million on PS3. (VG Chartz).

Of course the PC share on BF3 is much better than MW3 did. Only .96 million PC gamers for MW3. But I would have expected at least a 2-3x lead for BF3 since it's clearly the better PC game of the two.

PC Gaming isn't likely to die anytime soon, but I don't feel slighted at all about the console ports.

I spent a large amount of money on the PC, which was my decision, buying a higher texture port of a console game is also my decision.

And the true PC exclusives that I enjoy (Blizzard games), well they don't require a high end machine anyway.

I would prefer more console super stars like COD to have a proper PC version like BF3, but I can see why Bobby doesn't give a #%!@.
Reply With Quote
  #38 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2012, 09:36 AM
"Quote This..."
F@H
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hell
Posts: 3,828
Default

I was expecting this. But as long as they are at least dx11 compliant the ports we get are going to be better than the crappy dx9 with deferred rendering and no AA that we have been getting.
Reply With Quote
  #39 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2012, 10:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,382

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeetard View Post
I was expecting this. But as long as they are at least dx11 compliant the ports we get are going to be better than the crappy dx9 with deferred rendering and no AA that we have been getting.
It will be better for sure but in a year and a half we will be pretty far ahead of the 6670.
Reply With Quote
  #40 (permalink)  
Old January 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
belgolas's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Thomas Ontario close to london
Posts: 3,924

My System Specs

Default

While this is disappointing you have to remember that consoles can get low level access to the hardware. So while they are running a low end GPU I suspect it will perform more like a high end GPU of its generation. So it isn't as bad as it sounds.

You have to remember that the 360/PS3 are roughly a 7800 GTX. If you had a 7800 GTX for PC there is no way for could get PS3/360 graphics even though you would be running the same hardware.

Now when it comes out just like every time in history a top of the line PC will beat it but a console will be equivalent to a medium end PC.
__________________

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Intel HD Graphics with Graphics Card MoUnit CPU's and Motherboards 4 August 6, 2011 03:54 PM
AMD Extends Graphics Performance Lead, Launches World's Fastest Graphics Card? Again! FiXT Press Releases & Tech News 2 March 8, 2011 02:32 PM
PS3 vs XBox 360 sswilson Gaming 72 May 24, 2009 03:37 PM
This is how you fix your Xbox 360 Infiniti Off Topic 7 February 22, 2009 02:26 PM
WTB: Xbox 360 GregH Buy/Sell & Trade 10 November 19, 2008 04:00 PM