Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2012, 08:24 AM
Rookie

look at the GFX we're getting with an X1800 varient in the xbox 360, why are people upset about this? it should have enough graphical power to produce what PCs produce today, Consoles are highly optimized vs PCs since there is always a single hardware set per platform.
Old May 10, 2012, 09:26 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananax View Post
look at the GFX we're getting with an X1800 varient in the xbox 360, why are people upset about this? it should have enough graphical power to produce what PCs produce today, Consoles are highly optimized vs PCs since there is always a single hardware set per platform.
It is because a high end PC will crush anything that is made for 360/720... don't forget a 360 runs at 720p max and a lot of games are even less namely the COD series. They really aren't that well optimized they just run at low resolutions and people who sit far away from their screens never notice. It is a major misconception that xbox's actually run games at 720p.

DX9 xbox games don't even challenge a good PC system. If you read the entire thread you would see that our problem is not with consoles because without them we would have a lot less games being produced. It's the fact that companies won't even put the effort in to making a higher end version that PC users can play.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:14 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
It is because a high end PC will crush anything that is made for 360/720... don't forget a 360 runs at 720p max and a lot of games are even less namely the COD series. They really aren't that well optimized they just run at low resolutions and people who sit far away from their screens never notice. It is a major misconception that xbox's actually run games at 720p.

DX9 xbox games don't even challenge a good PC system. If you read the entire thread you would see that our problem is not with consoles because without them we would have a lot less games being produced. It's the fact that companies won't even put the effort in to making a higher end version that PC users can play.
even if they run at 720p or sub 720p, this is still an old, slow gpu in there, and the kind of GFX you can get out of it, is fairly decent. Look at some games like forza 2/3/4, The Witcher 2, BF3, all of them look very good coming out of a 360, sure not as good as the pc, but considering the GPUs in the PC are 5-6 generations ahead, it's not surprising.
Old May 10, 2012, 01:32 PM
Top Prospect

If the issue is that devs are going to be lazy about making proper pc ports, then well we can just about quit talking about it anyway. That will never change.

However if the next gen consoles can offer the majority of the high end PC graphics features (albeit at lower resolution and texture qualities), then we'll be just fine on the PC.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananax View Post
even if they run at 720p or sub 720p, this is still an old, slow gpu in there, and the kind of GFX you can get out of it, is fairly decent. Look at some games like forza 2/3/4, The Witcher 2, BF3, all of them look very good coming out of a 360, sure not as good as the pc, but considering the GPUs in the PC are 5-6 generations ahead, it's not surprising.
Put a TV playing Xbox beside a TV playing a PC game then get up nice and close and you can see those 5-6 generations trust me.
Old August 4, 2012, 11:44 PM
Rookie

I see benefits to many parties from mediocre attempt to port console games. Gamers replace graphics cards frequently, buy console games, and they make more sales on game on all platforms. Win-win-win! But sucks for us PC gamers.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I believe there are only two or three games that have a native 720p rez for the 360, most are around 420p-500p. (roughly)
I have my 360 set up with my Panny Plasma 50" GT30 and I'm quite content with it (RAGE looks amazing on it), I personally prefer a dedicated platform as it keeps my Gaming budget in check vs a PC where I would be tempted to upgrade frequently.
Old August 6, 2012, 10:37 PM
Top Prospect

I love gaming on my PS3 for sports games and your typical console games. I will never play a hack/slash rpg aka diablo on a console or an mmo for that matter. One thing I miss big time is FPS gaming on my PC. My PC is very outdated (5 years ish) and I am barely able to play most games on this. Thankfully im only at 1680x1050 res..... I wish i had the money to upgrade but sadly I am a broke joke. I miss the old pc gaming days when all the best games were on pc :(
Old January 10, 2013, 01:22 AM
MVP

My System Specs

The rumors keep changing ,All the one I have seen is that there will be two versions ,a 8 core and a 16 core CPU and the GPU will be a version of the HD8000 chip from AMD. That should help AMD/ATI Sells if they get the Xbox 720 and I heard that the play station 4 would be useing the AMD GPU also ,so I can see why they don't care if the make the top dog chip in the PC market since there a lot more money to be made from lower end products. Most of the time the top chips for the PC is very competitive, they had a few misses but so has NVidia. even I heard that is would run at 1920 x 1080 ,that shouldn't be a problem since we have so many fast GPU now, plus they only have to worry about one system a HDTV and they look pretty dam good now running at whatever the true resolution is. IMO the next consoles that come out make it hard to buy a high price computer if you are just a gamer.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old January 10, 2013, 11:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

as long as it has the memory for for high res textures I'm sure they can make it work. Along with some heavy use of tessellation.