Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
No, no, no and just plain no.

I have 2 kids under 18. #1, they won't be getting gaming laptops anytime soon. Second, I won't be spending even $800 each on PC's anytime soon. Gaming computers are OK for people that can afford them. I can't and neither can the majority of people who buy consoles.

As for the social stuff, that is why I make my kids go outside to play. Social networking is not meant for kids. They need actual physical interaction and actual physical playtime.

Gaming PC's is a hobby. It is a very small part of the PC market. You gotta upgrade semi-anually to keep up with the latest games unless you want to turn the graphics down to console levels. Sure I used to love my high res gaming. I simply cannot afford it at all.
Only takes 1 $500-800 computer and a $100-$250 monitor to play 90% of PC games on max, you don't need to upgrade semi-annually unless your PC is an e-peen extender.
Old March 28, 2012, 01:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
You guys, like most people talking about this on PC enthusiast forums, are just not looking at this properly. 90% of the console gaming world does not have $1000+ to build an enthusiast grade PC and then add another $200+ for a bigscreen monitor. Most people CAN afford $300-500 for a console and then use it on the big screen LCD TV which most of us already own. This is simple economics and a large majority of the world will continue to buy 720p optimized consoles that offers most of the same experience that a PC costing 3X (or more) over buying an expensive PC.

The problem with PC gaming is still the PC. The problem with console gaming is that people that own PC's think a small low price box should perform the same as their PC.

I also have a HD6670 in my new PC and it games very well at 1600X1200 so for those that doubt the newer GPU's you are just again not looking at the big picture.
If gaming at 720p is what you looking for, you can get a great PC for that at about $500. And then the games are cheaper.

Last edited by GT7R; March 28, 2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old March 29, 2012, 03:54 PM
Rookie

Doubt they would use a 6670 or anything from the 6000 series, prob looking at a 8000 series custom card
Old March 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
If gaming at 720p is what you looking for, you can get a great PC for that at about $500. And then the games are cheaper.
And then you get all the PC related headaches too!
Old March 31, 2012, 03:27 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DkRk View Post
And then you get all the PC related headaches too!
Which are? Having the option to choose your controls (keyboard & mouse, controller, etc), or the fact that you can tune the graphic performance to eliminate any input lag? Or maybe the fact that you can modify pretty much anything you want? And that's just the start ;)
Old April 2, 2012, 01:52 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

While I think the 6670 is severely underpowered for a next gen console (I was thinking 7770) you have to remember what happens when a dev company tries to build a PC exclusive game that is up to date with the latest hardware: Duke F***ing Nukem. The stability that a console lasting 5+ years brings can be a good thing, studios don't have to adapt every ten minutes when a new GPU comes out.
Old April 3, 2012, 04:58 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by maneil99 View Post
Doubt they would use a 6670 or anything from the 6000 series, prob looking at a 8000 series custom card
6670 APU is all but confirmed, it is already in production.
Old April 7, 2012, 12:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Officially confirmed though?
Old April 7, 2012, 06:32 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vect0r View Post
Officially confirmed though?
no, but they are already in production and leaks have come from the source. Not to mention since they are already in production and have been since before the 7000 series came out it is definately a 6000 series card.
Old April 28, 2012, 09:31 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
That is BS, Microsuck has yet to confirm anything and here are the latest rumors to debuff your claims.

Latest rumours suggest that the console will contain a revision of AMD's 7000 series graphics, which is based on its 28nm Graphics Core Next (GCN) Southern Islands tech.
Anonymous sources are being quoted on VG247 as saying that the graphics setup in the Xbox 720 will be "like two PCs taped together" which sounds like waffle to us. What does that even mean?
The same sources say that the two GPUs in the Xbox 720 "aren't structured as they are in a normal dual PC set-up," with each chip working separately to draw different items simultaneously.
Again, this sounds rather wooly to us, so let's try and make some sense of it...
Perhaps it depends what the source is referring to as different 'items'. The traditional usage of multi-GPU tech is Alternate Frame Rendering (AFR) where each GPU renders a frame in turn; if the source is saying that is not the case in the Xbox 720 then it will be a whole new usage of twin graphics chips.

Next-gen Xbox console to get 16-core CPU?

The next-generation Xbox console, which may or may not be called the Xbox 720, may be powered by a 16-core CPU, SlashGear reported on Friday. That CPU may be branded as IBM Power PC, and be paired with one or two GPUs that has comparable processing power to AMD's Radeon HD 7000. That power will be needed to run next-generation games and the Kinect successor, which is said to be able to read lips and fingertips as well as track multiple players and thus require at least four cores.