Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 20, 2012, 02:53 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default socket G34 to replace AMx socket family

i found this on techpower up today and it seems pretty interesting AMD Vishera Packs Quad-Channel DDR3 IMC, G34 En Route Desktop? | techPowerUp. but one thing that im wondering is 1. will it have significant ipc increase and 2. how the hell will they fit a G34 socket on and quadchannel memory on an atx board?
Old January 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Nice little tidbit youve found there. I don't see why they couldnt fit a G34 processor on a ATX mobo really, Just might to get a little creative or make it E-ATX for some breathing room.

In regards to your first question, the inclusion of "Hypertransport Assist" might help performance some and the extra 2 module couldnt hurt either.

As always with rumors though, its "wait and see"
Old January 20, 2012, 02:58 PM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

How to fit a G34 and quad channel on an ATX board you say? I have one right next to me, actually. This one: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8SGL-F
It's the Wife's new rig.

edit: here - A brother for Deux?
Old January 20, 2012, 04:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
How to fit a G34 and quad channel on an ATX board you say? I have one right next to me, actually. This one: Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Aplus Products | Motherboards | H8SGL-F
It's the Wife's new rig.

edit: here - A brother for Deux?
interesting board. but i see issues with clearance on ram and between the cpu and gpu when using a tower heatsink.
Old January 20, 2012, 05:12 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
interesting board. but i see issues with clearance on ram and between the cpu and gpu when using a tower heatsink.

Welcome to the wonderful world of quad channel.

As more and more peeps are finding out its just plain easier to go for a sealed water unit than "bother" with air towers. Just look at the socket 2011 mobos for proof. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old January 20, 2012, 06:10 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of quad channel.

As more and more peeps are finding out its just plain easier to go for a sealed water unit than "bother" with air towers. Just look at the socket 2011 mobos for proof. ;)
thats why i have an h100