Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   INTERPLAY: Alive? And remaking classics? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/5027-interplay-alive-remaking-classics.html)

CMetaphor March 12, 2008 07:00 AM

INTERPLAY: Alive? And remaking classics?

Just discovered by my brother:

Interplay Entertainment Corp.

:shok: Looks like Interplay might be making a comeback. With remakes of Descent (the original 3D shooter - Blue orb pictured on top left of teaser banner), M.D.K. (Middle left) and Earthworm Jim (Top Middle). I, for one, am totally psyched for a new version of Descent ( Or possibly freespace :clap: Oh man I loved freespace 2, hehe). Let's encourage them on, since they made some of the most revolutionary games of the time way back when. Go Interplay!

Mars March 12, 2008 08:46 AM

I think they want to make sequels rather remakes. However, they're running on virtually zero capital now, though they did manage to pay off most of their debts with their sale of the Fallout series to Bethesda.

CMetaphor March 12, 2008 08:55 AM

Whether its remakes or sequels I'm happy. hehe. I should try to find a copy of freespace 2 somewhere and see what FPS my current system will get, lol.

Mr. Cipher March 12, 2008 09:25 AM

I loved descent so much since it was one of the few games that I could play on my mom's mac when I was a kid. I can't wait to see what they can come up with.

llama_egg March 12, 2008 09:56 AM

And yet no one mentioned carmageddon, come on! A racing game with mindless slaughter? Sign me up!

Anywho, it should be interesting to see them come back, I've played pretty much every game they have come out with, and they where always a good publisher, but still, god, I swore they dead for good o_O

Thund3rball March 12, 2008 10:11 AM

MDK I think was the first shooter I ever played? Hard to remember now *scratches head* Anyways would be fun to have updated version or sequels to these. EWJ I played on SNES. It wasn't bad but not one of my faves :\

sswilson March 12, 2008 10:22 AM

Descent was the one with the full 3D motion that made folks sick wasn't it??? :)

llama_egg March 12, 2008 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 45574)
Descent was the one with the full 3D motion that made folks sick wasn't it??? :)

I didn't know it made people sick, but yes. completely 3D, it was an amazingly super extreme fun game :haha:

CMetaphor March 12, 2008 11:35 AM

Yeah, and it was a full 3D game back when 2D games were the norm (like Duke nukem/Shadow warrior/Doom) so they were the pioneers of the technology. Im so psyched!!! Thinking more carefully about descent though I hope they dont go all-out graphics... because one of the best parts of the whole descent series were the amazing framerates and (in descent 3) those same fast frame rates were carried from indoors to outdoors with ease (something games like Oblivion and other graphics-heavy games still have trouble with to this day).

sswilson March 12, 2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by llama_egg (Post 45588)
I didn't know it made people sick, but yes. completely 3D, it was an amazingly super extreme fun game :haha:

Yeah, folks weren't used to the idea of a completely 3d environment and there was a little bit of vertigo/motion sickness going on when they first saw it. :)