Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 2, 2012, 07:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well the vast majority of gamers will never play on those setups. So of coarse there are the extreme enthusiast that will have crazy resolutions.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 3, 2012, 03:01 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I got a question....

Who really needs more power right now? If you need more just get a second GPU. If you already have dual GPU's you are set. Games just aren't pushing graphics like they used to.
Think of it the other way around... Game makers don't want to publish a game which will work only on 50% of the gaming PCs out there. Even with the beautiful BF3 I can see so much room for improvement on the graphics department, but then it would have required everyone to run 580s in SLI in order to get smooth gameplay.
I think if you'll give the game developers twice the rendering power, ah they WILL make good use of it
Old January 3, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
Dunno if that's strictly true even for nvidia, Geforce to Geforce 2 was double or better, Geforce 3 to geforce 4 was better than double, 8800 was a huge leap over the 7800, but yeah, 1.5x better or less seems to be the status quo now.
They have completely hit the wall with heat and this is their NEW gpu architecture. AMD is gonna run over them again.

120fps for bf3 @ that resolution. Nevah...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 3, 2012, 10:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I got a question....

Who really needs more power right now? If you need more just get a second GPU. If you already have dual GPU's you are set. Games just aren't pushing graphics like they used to.
I got an answer... try playing games in surround on SLI 570s... some games choke pretty bad if you try to max them. Also, kepler will bring large performance/watt increases due to 32nm fab and ??? so that will be very nice for folding.
Old January 4, 2012, 10:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

All I am saying is that it is a niche market to need more power right now. Even a single 570 can max out 99.9% of games at 1080P. I just wish we had the days where there was at least 1 title that even the 2 highest video cards couldn't max at 1080P.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 4, 2012, 11:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry, but there's no flipping way Nvidia is going to release a card that doubles the existing performance. Even if the GPU was capable of it, they'll play with the clock speeds or disable cores so that it's just faster than the AMD cards by a few percent and gets them back the "Top Dog" spot.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:06 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
All I am saying is that it is a niche market to need more power right now. Even a single 570 can max out 99.9% of games at 1080P. I just wish we had the days where there was at least 1 title that even the 2 highest video cards couldn't max at 1080P.
Or get badly coded ones. WoT even makes my 580 max....

As for the constant Back and forth..I highly doubt it is the level of improvment stated in the charts. AMD is on top right now and good for them. WIth the failure of their BD setup they need something going for them (pending driver issues).

Beyond that Kepler is going to be a whole new beast, if they manage to get 50% above a 580 then they will have it in the bag.
But, its not about this high end crap to me. I want to know how their midrange cards do. Their 460's were undoubtly a success. They need to repeat this to make it stick. Top dog is nice for bragging rights, but budget is where its at to bring in the real $$$$$$.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 4, 2012, 07:00 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Without big jumps at the high end we're not going to see much change in the mid range. I can't see ever spending more than about 300 for a video card either but if the GTX780 or whatever it's called only beats the 7970 by 5% there isn't going to be a hell of a lot of change in the 100-300 range.
Old January 5, 2012, 01:15 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
Without big jumps at the high end we're not going to see much change in the mid range. I can't see ever spending more than about 300 for a video card either but if the GTX780 or whatever it's called only beats the 7970 by 5% there isn't going to be a hell of a lot of change in the 100-300 range.
I tend to disagree. I think it will scale accordingly. You will have say a 25% increase across the board on like for like models coupled with higher efficency. So say you GTX760 is 15-25% faster than a 560 and only needing 1 6-pin PCI-e (Pipe dreams I know).
Likewise with whatever AMD brings out in the midrange too.

This is a whole new process on a whole new Fab so, it looks to be good for both companies and we need it to be good for both so we get good pricing.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 5, 2012, 02:09 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I tend to disagree. I think it will scale accordingly. You will have say a 25% increase across the board on like for like models coupled with higher efficency. So say you GTX760 is 15-25% faster than a 560 and only needing 1 6-pin PCI-e (Pipe dreams I know).
Likewise with whatever AMD brings out in the midrange too.

This is a whole new process on a whole new Fab so, it looks to be good for both companies and we need it to be good for both so we get good pricing.

-ST
I hope you're right :)