IVY Bridge Cometh...
***Updated with some info in regards to possible pricing & launch date listed below***
Found this little article about the incoming IB processor lineup.
From what the article states, it doesn't sound like a dramatically large performance jump.
However I'm sure more than a few, will likely wait for the LGA1150 (Haswell) to be released after IVY Bridge, before their next upgrade.
ps: I'm interested to see how that i7-3820 performs.
Sorry for delay in updating.:haha:
Update - Pricing
For the most part it seems pricing will be similar to existing products.
One has to wonder if this means that Intel may actually drop the SB chips down a few dollars putting even more pressure on AMD?
Many people have commented there may not be large gains in performance and overclock numbers, as Intel's main focus was to die shrink & reduce power consumption.
Launch date speculated to be around April 8th, 2012.
I think Ivy Bridge will be great, I heard intel had to cut features so people wouldn't buy it over x79
Realistically 2011 is the enthusiast platform, why add special/enthusiast features on mainstream cheaper CPUs and Mobos.
I think it's fine to not pay for unused/not needed features at the mainstream level. It may be the difference between a $300 i7 and a $450 i7
As for Ivy bridge will the shrink get us better overclocking? Will we see a higher multiplier than 56? Somehow I don't think anything is going to be impressive enough for people with golden 2600ks to upgrade to a new mainstream platform for at least 3 years.
Im starting to dip my toes with Intel. But one thing that confuse me, is IB backwards compatible with SB sockets? Or do you need to buy a different mobo to support IB?
Im really have my eyes on the Asus Maximus IV - goes along with my CHV :biggrin:
So long as your board comes with a BIOS to support it you should be able to just drop it in and go.
Ill be getting a IB CPU for MB review purposes but other than that I would skip IB totally. iGPU performance and power saving is at the bottom of my care list.
I am waiting for Ivy Bridge so that I can upgrade to the latest chipset. I currently have a 790FX AMD build going on, and I am hoping to upgrade to SATA 3, USB 3, and PCI-E 3. If Ivy Bridge is a little faster and more efficient then hooray for me.
Okay, so for someone like me coming from AMD - its much better for me to head over to SB instead of IB since the performance between the 2 isnt worth the extra $$$?
If you are switching now a I would say 2600k or 2500k are still the best chips on the market for price:perf ratio. If you feel like waiting another 5 months then you can go with IB.
Ok gotcha. I guess your comment is for current users of SB thinking to mover over to IB?
Makes sense and thanks.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:41 AM.|