Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 29, 2012, 10:41 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will admit that I am an nvidia fan but I think it is funny that in 2012 ATI finally beats nvidia's card that was released in 2010 and you non stop hearing it from ATI fans. I think you should wait and see what the competitor has before you say ATI has the top card. I have no doubt nvidia will release a card that is more powerful than the 7970. I just think it is funny comparing a brand new card to something that is well over a year old.

Personally I don't care about any of the new cards. Probably not going to upgrade till 2013/14. Only metro 2033 at max makes my cards feel underpowered. Till games start getting more demanding or if I go triple displays I wont even think of upgrading. Some of you guys say the 480 was a failure... Well the only flaw was the heat they produce and I water cooled them so thats not really an issue. They have lasted me 2 years and still are going strong.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 29, 2012, 11:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I will admit that I am an nvidia fan but I think it is funny that in 2012 ATI finally beats nvidia's card that was released in 2010 and you non stop hearing it from ATI fans. I think you should wait and see what the competitor has before you say ATI has the top card. I have no doubt nvidia will release a card that is more powerful than the 7970. I just think it is funny comparing a brand new card to something that is well over a year old.

Personally I don't care about any of the new cards. Probably not going to upgrade till 2013/14. Only metro 2033 at max makes my cards feel underpowered. Till games start getting more demanding or if I go triple displays I wont even think of upgrading. Some of you guys say the 480 was a failure... Well the only flaw was the heat they produce and I water cooled them so thats not really an issue. They have lasted me 2 years and still are going strong.
Well put my good man, I only have 1 480 and that's still running strong with a nice overclock of course. Heat was never a problem for me because of the heatsink I bought for it. I think people who sold their 480's for the 580 is a fail. The performance increase was not worth the money people put out.
Old January 29, 2012, 11:53 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

It's completely fair to put the 580 up against the 7970 as that is what is currently available and AMD does have the strongest card on the market at this point in time. Just as how Nvidia will have the dominant GPU on the market next year.

But bickering about who's brand is better and who's dad can beat up your dad is just plain silly.
Old January 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

I would agree if both companies released cards at the same time, but generally they don't. You always end up comparing a newer card to an older card (speaking in terms of months to a year basically). A few months from now Nvidia will have a faster card...then AMD will release a dual gpu card that will take the crown, then Nvidia, then a new series of cards will be released....etc,etc,etc.
Old January 29, 2012, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Eh, any comparison of known performance/price is valid. Both companies currently available single GPU flagships which are priced similarly is an excellent comparison. When car mags do a comparison of whatever type of cars they don't give the older model bonus points for making the market first and they don't give the new model bonus points for using "newer tech" unless it confers some real benefit. The problem is when you try to take those comparisons and use them for the my dad/your dad arguements about the general strength or business acumen of companies that we really aren't connected to, not invested in (most of us anyways) and don't even really know a whole lot about how they operate or what they have under their hat so to speak.
Old January 29, 2012, 09:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibz View Post
It's completely fair to put the 580 up against the 7970 as that is what is currently available and AMD does have the strongest card on the market at this point in time. Just as how Nvidia will have the dominant GPU on the market next year.

But bickering about who's brand is better and who's dad can beat up your dad is just plain silly.
+1 Yeah, I'm sorry, if I go out and want to buy something today, I look at what I can buy today or maybe within the next few weeks.

Unless nvidia can bring out a faster new GPU in a month, then there is absolutely no reason NOT to compare the best currently offered by AIT against the best currently offered by nvidia. There is no "free ride" for older products because they are old. That is like saying "you crossed the finish line first in the race, but I win because I'm older than you and my body doesn't work as well as a young one."
Old January 30, 2012, 06:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree that it is perfectly fine to compare what you can actually buy but what I don't think is fair is to say ATI beat nvidia as nvidia hasn't released their current lineup. Thats all I was trying to say. I have no doubt nvidia will do it even if it means double the power and a closed water cooler on it lol.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 30, 2012, 06:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

7970 is the current king of the hill......then it will be nv.....then it be ati.....then nv...then ati....then nv........whats the point? Provided your GPU config works well with your chosen Resolution its "All Invanerial As Far As I'm Circumsized"......really ;)

Old March 6, 2012, 10:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

NVIDIA Kepler power circuitry, 300W TDP :: TweakTown USA Edition

Take what you will, nothing to useful in this "rumor" afaik.

Quote:
I agree that it is perfectly fine to compare what you can actually buy but what I don't think is fair is to say ATI beat nvidia as nvidia hasn't released their current lineup. Thats all I was trying to say. I have no doubt nvidia will do it even if it means double the power and a closed water cooler on it lol.
So it's fine to compare what you buy but it's not fair to compare the current lineup from each person? You really contradict yourself there mate.

Either way, look at how long nvidia too to release dx11 cards compared to ATI, what would you have done in that case? I don't think it's even close to fair to say "The ATI cards aren't the best unless they can beat what nvidia releases in 1 year..." (don't try to get too literal here or caught up in the details)
Old March 10, 2012, 03:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It's not 100% clear on the performance gains of Kepler, but nvidia is sure trying to make it sound like they've been able to make a huge leap in performance from the 580 Articles: Epic Shows Samaritan Demo Running On Next-Generation NVIDIA ?Kepler? GPU - GeForce

It's really hard to say for certain, but as they point out, they went from 3x580 to a single Kepler card. As noted though, this is not a 3x more powerful card as they were able to reduce the workload through a new AA mode. Kinda sick either way. I just hope this isn't going to be another, "we show our next GPU running something, but make you wait months for it to actually come out" scenario...