Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 28, 2011, 01:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well, they were over a year if not more behind with Fermi... so I doubt they'll be worried about rushing kepler unless they can't seem to get it out the door in 2012.
Old November 28, 2011, 06:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think you guys have to think of it in a different perspective.

NVIDIA can take their time on this one because of GF110's strength in the current lineup. AMD's high end Tahiti cores have to come up with at least a 20% performance increase over Cayman just to draw even with the GTX 580, let alone overclocked versions thereof. That is no small feat.

Plus, if you don't think AMD is having some serious issues with 28nm fabrication, you'd be pretty far off base. Remember that with Fermi, NVIDIA went through the process of completely redesigning their architecture for a DX11 environment. AMD meanwhile has essentially been using the same architecture since RV600 with a few bits and pieces added or tacked on for basic DX11 functionality. Tahiti (and possibly all of the Southern Islands family) is their first true ground up DX11 part and they are surely going through the same issues as NVIDIA did when designing Fermi: low yields, massive die size, etc.

To make matters even worse, TSMC's cancellation of the 32nm process has led directly to a ton of pent up demand for 28nm wafer production. This means everyone from Texas Instruments to Qualcomm to AMD to NVIDIA are going to be fighting for 28nm fab space. You can only imagine what that is going to do for GPU production quantities...
Old November 28, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

NVIDIA can take their time on this one because of GF110's strength in the current lineup. AMD's high end Tahiti cores have to come up with at least a 20% performance increase over Cayman just to draw even with the GTX 580, let alone overclocked versions thereof. That is no small feat.

Plus, if you don't think AMD is having some serious issues with 28nm fabrication, you'd be pretty far off base. Remember that with Fermi, NVIDIA went through the process of completely redesigning their architecture for a DX11 environment. AMD meanwhile has essentially been using the same architecture since RV600 with a few bits and pieces added or tacked on for basic DX11 functionality. Tahiti (and possibly all of the Southern Islands family) is their first true ground up DX11 part and they are surely going through the same issues as NVIDIA did when designing Fermi: low yields, massive die size, etc.

To make matters even worse, TSMC's cancellation of the 32nm process has led directly to a ton of pent up demand for 28nm wafer production. This means everyone from Texas Instruments to Qualcomm to AMD to NVIDIA are going to be fighting for 28nm fab space. You can only imagine what that is going to do for GPU production quantities...
Thanks for sharing that neat bit of information. Didn't even think about the fact that AMD basically has to do a complete revamp where nvidia doesn't (sort of). Sucks about the 28nm space because that might just lead to higher prices or low stock :(
Old November 28, 2011, 12:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:

Thats my thoughts exactly......although some say the current line of GTX 580 is "long in the tooth"...( I guess it is in the GPU World), it still kicks some serious butt and judging by availability (of pretty much all the Enthusiast level 580's), I would say that nv is having no problems at all ensuring the Retailers can sell the product, the Retailers seem to still have trouble keeping lots of Stock available....personally, until I upgrade to an X79 platform, I could care less whether Kepler is released this May / June 12 or Dec 12....with a couple of 580's and a single 2560 x 1440, I haven't come across a game yet that doesnt run "like butter" with everything cranked.....and until I have to start looking at lowering gameplay settings, I'm not sweating it ;)

Old November 28, 2011, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

Ah, thanks for the fresh perspective, and bigger picture, I was getting a bit narrow minded in the way I was seeing things.
Very very good points!
Old December 11, 2011, 04:28 PM
MVP

My System Specs

God I should have just upgraded to the 500 Series a few months back. I had it in my head that they would be coming out around Christmas for whatever reason (reading fake/bad estimations and letting my hope blind me lol..) now I'm reading May/June from opinions that I trust although I still know they're speculation. Not that I am yet seeing any performance issues with my GTX480 in all games running ULTRA on 1920x1200 although it is starting to show signs. The major killer for me is the heat output after a while of gaming on some GPU intense games my PC almost stands a fair fight against my air-con now days (I think it's got hotter) but I suppose it does have the Australian sun outside backing it up.

Still I want to see a 600 Series with great power consumption and low heat output while still maintaining a nice bump in performance from the 500 Series, It was the lack in performance increase that made me not bother with a 580. But if results are even slightly better than current gen heat, power and all I will be buying two 680's off the bat and will probably be putting them on liquid too.

Rambled enough for one post I think, apologies!
Old December 14, 2011, 04:31 PM
Top Prospect

I hope we hear something about the new AMD line soon, or even a price drop in tonight's NCIX sale. I would be more then happy to pre-order a 7970 or a 7990 right now but I know they don't have the pricing sorted out yet.
Old December 29, 2011, 06:44 PM
Rookie

GK112 looks tasty. But it's 1 whole year away :(
Old January 22, 2012, 05:43 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Cant wait till the new series. and water blocks for some 680's or 690's. i do hope when they drop a 690 they dont make it a slow sli verson of 680's
Old January 29, 2012, 07:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If I don't hear some solid release expectations for spring or sooner I might just try ATI when their stock issues are fixed up...