Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2011, 09:02 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
earlier speculated prices of around $300 for the i7-3820, ~$583 of i7-3930K, and ~$999 of i7-3960X Extreme Edition.

But even these estimated prices (not pre-order prices) are pretty high.
These are accurate within a few dollars, pricing has been on (and mostly back off) a few big US online retailers.

It's the same as X58 launched at, within a few dollars (OK, to the penny on the $999 top end). The SandyBridge we mostly know and love is not considered 'enthusiast class' - fewer cores, fewer memory lanes (than even X58), etc etc. X79/2011 is Intel's top of the heap, and when has the top of the heap NOT been expensive? Nothing new to see here, in that sense, on to the next topic.

Intel can't rape and pillage even if they end up a monopoly, too much anti-trust legislation and enforcement in the USA. That said, we're not exactly looking AMD's imminent demise in the face...they'll be around. Whether they can or even want to compete for the top end is another story that remains to be seen.
EVGA GTX 580 SSC
Caviar Black 1TB x2 RAID0
Corsair Gold 850W
Corsair H80
Corsair 600T Graphite
Old November 6, 2011, 09:07 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
And their normal pricing scheme has always been 'bad' for us. Intel likes profit margins of 45% or more... (I think I read that on Anandtech)

That pricing is what had led me to wait for BD instead of getting an SNB build.
If AMD had anything really competitive their prices would be just as high.
Old November 6, 2011, 01:20 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, sure, you can try to justify intel's prices by saying it's an 'enthusiast' line, but that still doesn't mean they're just making a bigger profit margin because they can. Pretty much everyone is expecting the hexa core to start at $550-590 when it comes out, which is I price I'll pass on. The stupid thing is that most gamers won't see any performance differences between the platforms unless they're doing dual 590s or something like that. It's hard to justify spending that much more on an enthusiast part that doesn't offer that much more real world performance (except when looking at extreme scenarios like tri/quad GPUs).

If AMD came out with a competitive part, they would slightly undercut intel pricing due to the fact that they need more sales and market share (they're under 20% atm). The only way you'd see AMD charge more than intel is if they had a superior product.