Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 2, 2011, 02:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
Ah, first time I've heard that one... damn not even 8 true cores... :(
Ah yes, however, if the future is multi-threaded then who'll give a hoot about that, if the software is there to take advantage of what BD has to offer - I am sure we're not far from actual publishable BD performance numbers by all the tech sites out there. Time will tell.
Old October 2, 2011, 03:05 PM
Allstar

I agree. I'm not too concerned about single thread performance so if the other numbers are even close to what's being shown it looks like I'm heading back to the AMD camp.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old October 2, 2011, 03:17 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

SSE performance is a little better. I was hoping for something as good as Sandy Bridge in that regard though, so BD falls short there.

I am not optimistic about Bulldozer being competitive with Sandy Bridge in folding performance if these numbers hold true. An improvement over PII, but not as good as SB.
Fold for team #54196
Old October 2, 2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

And SSE1 is important why anymore ??? as others have pointed out .... multi core/thread IS the standard now & if you go by the rumored bf3 info ... anything with more then 4 core's/threads are gonna see major preformance benefits in the game ... Also again anyone using win 7 or the upcoming win 8 will have preformance boosts in games/aps with it. Like the 1 poster said ... single core preformance is dead ... multi core preformance IS the present & future of ALL software.
Old October 2, 2011, 04:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

My question is how valid is the BD score in that chart? Are these based on a ES chip? If they are they really don't mean anything. If they are based on a retail chip then where are the reviews? Unless somebody is violating an NDA.

Either way in a another ten days or so we will know for sure (if the most recent release date is solid).
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old October 2, 2011, 04:34 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
And SSE1 is important why anymore ??? as others have pointed out .... multi core/thread IS the standard now & if you go by the rumored bf3 info ... anything with more then 4 core's/threads are gonna see major preformance benefits in the game ... Also again anyone using win 7 or the upcoming win 8 will have preformance boosts in games/aps with it. Like the 1 poster said ... single core preformance is dead ... multi core preformance IS the present & future of ALL software.
Well, I believe chrisk has a stake in SSE benchmarks because:

Quote:
Gromacs is built for speed. Everything about it has been optimized to be the very fastest MD code on the planet. For example, it uses the SSE instructions on Pentiums to get a 3x speed increase. 3D-Now! is supported on AMD chips. Altivec is supported on Macs. The inner loops are hand coded in assembly. It has algorithms creatively designed for speed. It's an amazing feat. For us to include all of these optimizations into our current scientific code did not seem a judicious use of our programming resources (why reinvent the wheel?) and we instead decided to collaborate with the Gromacs team.
source: Folding at home Gromacs FAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
My question is how valid is the BD score in that chart? Are these based on a ES chip? If they are they really don't mean anything. If they are based on a retail chip then where are the reviews? Unless somebody is violating an NDA.

Either way in a another ten days or so we will know for sure (if the most recent release date is solid).
Hence the Rumor Mill section. This was only provided as a point of interest, I would not get too worked up about any of these numbers. Poster on the xtremesystem's forum already pointed out that the FP Math numbers don't jive either, as they should be a lot higher. Plus, if these are ES BD based numbers or actual retail chips, it is unlikely that they had their BIOS flashed with the BD version, which most likely will not comeout until release date. So eitherway, these numbers are promising; initial release date reviews will tell us if BD will be a Bulldozer or Bulldigger.

Last edited by EmptyMellon; October 2, 2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old October 2, 2011, 05:45 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Well, I believe chrisk has a stake in SSE benchmarks because:

source: Folding at home Gromacs FAQ
This is exactly why.

I am not saying BD will be a flop...I am just saying that if these charts are true, then the folding boost that I was really hoping for might not be.

Folding cores are hand-optimized by the Gromacs group for SSE, so this benchmark is most important for us folders.

Here is a good discussion of Bulldozer and the speculation around its implications for F@H:
Folding Forum • View topic - AMD's XOP and FMA4
Fold for team #54196
Old October 2, 2011, 06:11 PM
Top Prospect

I am very suspicious.... ram amounts, disk space....

Old October 2, 2011, 06:16 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
This is exactly why.
Here is a good discussion of Bulldozer and the speculation around its implications for F@H:
Folding Forum • View topic - AMD's XOP and FMA4
Interesting indeed; now I am even more looking forward to the official BD performance numbers - I am sure they are going to be extensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NI3 View Post
I am very suspicious.... ram amounts, disk space...
Yah, a poster at xtreme already caught that too, a bit biased one would say. At leaset they did not hide the numbers.
Old October 2, 2011, 06:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well, if that is anywere close the reality, it would be nice especially since AMD can sell their chip pretty cheap compare to Intel. But those number are susicious and definatly biased due to HDD and ram...

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Closed Thread

Tags
amd , chart , fx-8150 , xtremesystems