Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 05:12 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default HD RADEON 7000 series delayed until Q1

Looks like the rumors of a pre-christmas launch were false: http://www.fudzilla.com/home/item/24...ries-this-year

I guess I'll drop the cash on a pair of Sapphire HD Radeon Toxic 6950's to prepare for Skyrim/BF3.
I ask Hardware Canuck members:

With this news, what GPU are you going to throw at Skyrim and the graphic titan BF3?
Old September 21, 2011, 10:14 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I'll be SLI'ing my 570. My previous plan was to get two 78XX versions and crossfire.

BF3 is my main reason behind this decision.
Old September 21, 2011, 11:03 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

This is what happens when you listen to early rumors from sites that troll for hits.

Then those same sites come out with an "xxxx was DELAYED" article closer to their assumed launch date to ensure more traffic comes their way...
Old September 21, 2011, 11:13 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

So you don't believe there is a delay? Or you don't believe any of the rumors about it's launch period? In one comment you sort of denounced your belief/involvement concerning rumors. This begs the question concerning this paradox: Why do you visit/comment on a rumor forum?
Old September 21, 2011, 12:46 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikan S-087 View Post
So you don't believe there is a delay? Or you don't believe any of the rumors about it's launch period? In one comment you sort of denounced your belief/involvement concerning rumors. This begs the question concerning this paradox: Why do you visit/comment on a rumor forum?
I can comment because a rumor based on a rumor serves perfectly as a cautionary tale to people who base their hardware purchases upon what MIGHT be rather than fact.
Old September 21, 2011, 12:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikan S-087 View Post
I think Sky can and should comment because unlike most of us, he is one who knows things before any leaks happen. He is one who respects the rules by following the agreement he has with companies. He has all rights to comment and to a certain point be frustrated with those who, unlike him, are unable to respect the same rules he cares for.
Old September 21, 2011, 03:12 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'm a little confused. Was I wrong to post? What did I do? lol
Old September 21, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I don't think you were wrong to post what you did, I mean this is the rumor mill afterall, but I felt like a comment you did was disrespectful, sorry if it wasn't meant to be.

Quote:
This begs the question concerning this paradox: Why do you visit/comment on a rumor forum?
Old September 21, 2011, 03:54 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Nope, you did nothing wrong...otherwise your post would have been removed by a moderator.

Since there has been no official announcement from AMD about the release date anything seen floating around the net is a rumour. Those rumours have two sources. The first is somebody who thinks they know, so throws something out there to drag up visits to his site...the trolls. His news gets picked up other sites and spreads around the net. The second source are those who actually have access to some form of official information but are bound by a non disclosure agreement. Since some these people can not for whatever reason respect that NDA they start dropping hints. Until products start hitting store shelves the info these people have access may not be exactly correct as product specs change constantly until release. Either way until product release, or an official announcement then all that info is just that... rumour.

All Sky is saying is that those dudes that actually know something should shut the hell up and respect their NDAs, and those dudes that think they know something should just shut the hell up period.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 21, 2011, 04:09 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Certainly not. I re-read it and it did not come out well. However, I pm'd him with some questions.
My issue is this: to my eyes, he seemed to casually brush off my post and look down at what I did as if he knew the truth. Is he a AMD-ATI CEO? I don't think so. On other threads concerning the new cards he goes about in the same manner: shooting down speculation, calling BS as he pleases without ever validating his qualifications. I see he is a "Hardware Review Editor". This title implies he gets his hands on hardware before the public and therefor has knowledge others do not.
If this is so: doesn't meddling around in the rumor mill, knowing the truth but not being able to share do to "agreements with other companies", seem a little pointless? . For example: If he knows the specs/release date of the HD 7000 series (example here, not saying he does) doesn't going into a rumor thread about said radeon cards and shooting down speculation seem a little childish? Its the equivalent of a kid in a playground yelling "guess what the teacher told me?!" "I know and YOU don't!" . Even if that is not the case, his remark seemed a little condescending to me. This was disrespectful.

Additionally, my point stands: Yes it is a rumor. In a rumor mill. My theme of this thread was assuming this rumor were true, what GPU(s) would people be using? That's a fair question, and makes for interesting conversation. Then he comes along, and basically says: Pfft! Making hardware decisions on a RUMOR! HA!

I asked a question based on the scenario that the HD Radeon 7000 cards were indeed delayed. If you cannot speculate on rumors, what is the point of this rumor forum? If he is indeed in the "know" as it were, I can understand his implied "knowing otherwise". But he can't magically expect new people to know his backround, nor can you. The internet has no real hierarchy with titles nor the associated benefits. But from what I have seen, he just *hit on a perfectly good thread. The tone of my reply was due to the fact I was insulted by his.

If this Now you imply he is in the know. I am new here so I respect that.