Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 21, 2011, 05:16 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I'd also like to add I do not disrespect SKY, I am merely requesting a little validation for his implied knowledge. There are a lot of self-appointed 'experts' or 'connected people' on the internet who use false credentials to facilitate 'their being right'. He made it sound like I had said Hey guys, the radeon 7000's are not coming out this year. I went and bought X instead. What are you getting. I had merely proposed a speculative scenario based on a rumor. If this is ill-advised, MODS please get rid of the 'rumor forum' as it serves no purpose....
Old September 21, 2011, 10:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

@Rikan:

Relaxx, mannn...

The Rumor Mill is for sharing tidbits of gossip about this hardware and that hardware that float around the net. In other words, everything posted here is open to debate. SKYMTL's purpose in coming in here and metaphorically saying "I know something you don't" (or at least the impression you get) isn't to make everyone look foolish. He's simply trying to remind people that this is all rumor and speculation based on sources with little credentials to back up their statements.

Yes, SKYMTL is a product reviewer. Yes, he's probably got access to either information, hardware, or both pre-launch. I'm sure he would love to tell us how things really are given there wasn't an NDA somewhere in the mix, so for now all he can do is call BS and remind us that once again, it's all rumor and speculation.

I don't want to write an essay, so to sum it up:

HWC is a computer forum full of intelligent, open-minded, mild-mannered people. Nobody means any offense to anyone, though sometimes things come off a bit wrong and things get *slightly* heated (as they seem to be now). I'm sure you don't mean to sound harsh in the other post, and I'm sure SKYMTL didn't mean to be condescending in his, etc. etc. Relax, man.

Now on topic: They're already talking about 7000 series cards? I don't think they'd be able to pull it off by Christmas if that's what was originally planned, not to mention that there would be more hype by now (I would think) if it were really coming. I give it until AT LEAST April or May of next year. I'm more curious as to what NV's gonna do now. IMO Fermi's getting long in the tooth, spanning two generations and having minor upgrades along the way. ATI redesigned their architecture in the last two generations. I WANT A DIE SHRINK! I WANT A 7990! I WANT A GTX 680! Too bad mah machine went kaput, gotta start all over. It's still nice to dream...
2x XFX 7870
Adata SX900 256GB
Toshiba 1TB
Galaxy 1000W
Antec One

Last edited by ImmaPC; September 22, 2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old September 21, 2011, 10:40 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
I guess I'll drop the cash on a pair of Sapphire HD Radeon Toxic 6950's to prepare for Skyrim/BF3.
I ask Hardware Canuck members:

With this news, what GPU are you going to throw at Skyrim and the graphic titan BF3?
I'm going to wait for the reviews on BF3. Then I will make a GPU and/or CPU upgrade decision based on what the results are from the hardware tested with this specific game. I too have the upgrade bug, but would prefer waiting to get some actual data to base my decision on.
Old September 21, 2011, 11:52 PM
Hall Of Fame

fact. I will be buying either a 7xxx or 6xx card.
rumor. The cards have been delayed.
fact. These cards will come when they come.
Old September 22, 2011, 01:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't see where anyone is getting the whole "I know something you don't" or how his post was offensive.

From how I read his comment it was entirely based on the threads title.. That is to say that the 7xxx is delayed.. When, in fact, there has been nothing but rumors about a release date.
Therefore How can a product that the manufacturer has not released info for a release date of.. be considered delayed.

At which point you got all upity and had a poke at him..
Then he had a poke back saying speculation about buying stuff when you know nothing about the product is a bit idiotic (which it is)

At which point you got on a high horse and decided that you'd try and make him look bad because he "attacked your post".

I really wish people would actually READ what people post before getting all shit out of shape.
Old September 22, 2011, 05:45 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Boy, all of this and all I did was refer to Probationer's post...

The long story behind my post is actually quite short: there are some sites out there which post every rumor they can think up. They then justify said "rumors" later down the road by posting yet more false info (ie: "delays" have occurred). The operative words here are "they can think up" since many times these posts are simply made to drive traffic to the site rather than relay any info from legitimate sources.

Until a product is officially given a release date, it cannot be delayed. The issue is that some people (no one on this thread I might add) base purchasing decisions off of these false claims. This not only hurts consumers but also gives a black eye to sites which have legitimate info but are shouted down due to people's bad experiences with rumor monger sites.

Back on topic guys.
Old September 22, 2011, 06:06 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

I've been reading further regarding your views and see where your coming from SKY. I think why I interpreted what you initially said (Dzzope I did read, it was misinterpretation/cool that you have never done that) as negative is attributed to the fact I did not know your backround. I also never considered the business end of site/traffic; something I know little about. Had we had this conversation in person, I'm sure your tone and inflection (among other linguistic mechanics) would support your good intentions. I apologies for the misinterpretation and will add it is cool to participate on forums that are occupied by people with industry connections. I thank you for the information regarding the 7000's and for clarifying damaging rumors.
Old September 22, 2011, 06:25 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Boy, all of this and all I did was refer to Probationer's post...

The long story behind my post is actually quite short: there are some sites out there which post every rumor they can think up. They then justify said "rumors" later down the road by posting yet more false info (ie: "delays" have occurred). The operative words here are "they can think up" since many times these posts are simply made to drive traffic to the site rather than relay any info from legitimate sources.

Until a product is officially given a release date, it cannot be delayed. The issue is that some people (no one on this thread I might add) base purchasing decisions off of these false claims. This not only hurts consumers but also gives a black eye to sites which have legitimate info but are shouted down due to people's bad experiences with rumor monger sites.

Back on topic guys.

Word........
Old September 22, 2011, 07:41 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Now that we are sorta, kinda on track, let's talk about upcoming GPUs.

Do you guys really believe that upcoming games will really push current cards past their limits? Maybe BF3 but from what I hear, it will be running some highly optimized DX11 code which will allow it to run using high detail settings at 1080P on current mid-level GPUs (GTX 560, HD 6870, etc).

As for Skyrim, I have absolutely no hope that it will be anything but a warmed over console port. There is nothing about the Creation Engine that should push current GPUs unless (as usual) the PC to console port is FUBAR'd.

Personally, I'm more interested whether the upcoming GPUs will allow me to crank up the details in Shogun 2 and Witcher 2...something I haven't been able to accomplish with a single card.

Last edited by SKYMTL; September 22, 2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old September 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

You can't max out Witcher 2 on your current card? I have an Eyefinity setup, but played The Witcher 2 on one screen do to the fact it doesn't support Eyefinity (There is a crack but it comes with HUD issues). On one Sapphire Vapor X 1gb 5870 I could max the game out, uber-sampling and all.

As for Skyrim, I agree. Well it looks nice, I don't consider the game to warrant a gpu upgrade. A factor that could come into play is the increase in textures in an open-world, sandbox type environment. Skyrim is a considerable increase in graphics from Oblivion/Fallout 3.