Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

View Poll Results: Do you think that Bulldozer is delayed?
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 12, 2011, 04:51 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Apparently there are some places offering the Bulldozer for pre order. At least thats the story on TPU AMD FX Series Processors Up For Pre-Order | techPowerUp
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 12, 2011, 05:23 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As much as I am looking forward to Bulldozer, I find pre-ordering anything non-life essential/mission critical, laughable. In the end, all the power to the businesses that cash-in on the silly folks that do pre-order.
Old September 12, 2011, 09:48 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I wouldn't even be bothering with pre-ordering a BD processor. It is like investing in a startup company with unknown product, it can be a hit or miss. I'm wondering how would those who have bought AM3+ boards feel when they have a mediocre chip to go with their board and a socket that is bound for a dead end once FM2 comes out.
Old September 13, 2011, 12:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Well, to my pleasent suprise, Piledriver was initially suppose to have been an FM2 socket but, has now been rev'd to an AM3+ (for now anyway), so people continue to have a potential upgrade path for a year or two after Bulldozer. In the long run, I think people will go where the performance will be, while AMD will go where the money is and that may not be the desktop architectures of either Bulldozer or Piledriver.
Old September 13, 2011, 01:02 AM
da_bradler

I just got a Sabertooth Tuf 990FX AM3+ board for 130 dollars, which I can throw my phenom II in until dozer. So for under 200 I get off my old AM2+ platform. Would have cost over 400 to get a i5 and a decent SLI board.

Hopefully encouraging what I just did isn't the whole of AMDs business model. But in the end if bulldozer really is the suck I just wasted 130 bucks on a fun board to play with.

The upgrade path has been really well made on the AMD side, I get a M2N SLI AM2 board with a 6400+ on sale initially, think I paid 180 for both, then with a bios upgrade the board supports AM3 95W processors, so I upgrade to a phenom II 945 3.0ghz for like a 120 dollars, then I upgrade to a AM3+ board for a 130 more. And if bulldozer isn't the total suck they might end up getting another 200-300 out of me.

I dunno they've kept me reasonably up to date for far less than if I had initially bought a core 2 duo system than had to completely throw it out for a i5/i7 system.

I'm really hoping it fairs decently with adobe products
Old September 13, 2011, 02:04 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'm 50/50 when it comes to the backwards compatibility of AMD platforms. I'm pretty sure motherboard manufacturers would love Intel over AMD because users will have to change motherboards every cycle, more money for the manufacturers. Changing motherboards every cycle also makes sure that the user has an up to date platform with better connectivity with SATA and USB 3.0.

However for the budget constrained, AMD is definitely a plus with the backwards compatibility and wherever I can save a penny, I'm happy. I also like the fact that AMD keeps the spacing for heatsinks the same for every generation regardless of FM1 or future sockets. That means I don't have to spend extra money on a chunk of metal every cycle. Can't say that heatsink manufacturers will be happy though.
Old September 24, 2011, 07:08 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Didn't know if this warranted its own thread, but I saw this on TPU this morning. Their source was donanimhaber.com AMD FX 8150 Looks Core i7-980X and Core i7 2600K in the Eye: AMD Benchmarks | techPowerUp

Obviously alot of AMD hype there since all the slides come from them. It will definitely add fuel to the fire though.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 24, 2011, 07:26 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

I want to see OC performance first, so I can compare it to my 970. Heat is important too.

That said, looking good. The new FMA4 instructions might be beneficial to folders.

edit: lmao I saw this spoof for the first time in the comments thread:
Fold for team #54196
Old September 24, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I wish they would get going on this, I am holding off on my next build until it gets sorted out.
Old September 24, 2011, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoanee View Post
I wish they would get going on this, I am holding off on my next build until it gets sorted out.
My cpu and RAM is similar to yours (cpu is the same... I have Mushkin RAM).

I'm leaning more towards SandyBridge since I think Bulldozer doesn't sound too good. But, also I value low power and temps and I think SNB will beat Bulldozer there as well.

Only price/performance remains and I think that SNB might be more $$ but not by a lot when you compare to the higher end equivalent BD parts.

The most interesting part for me is how they will handle virtualization but if power/temps are much more than SNB, then I don't care so much.

Tags
bulldozer , delay , october , xbit