Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 8, 2011, 11:56 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Some of that enthusiasm might be tempered by reports like this AMD Reschedules Launch of FX-Series Chips to October, Changes Launch Lineup - X-bit labs
Personally, I found this article (Bulldozer finally shipped last week | SemiAccurate) by SemiAccurate's Charlie Demerjian much more informative. Instead of repeating the same old junk like everyone else, he goes on to discuss the potential reason behind the delay.

Lot of people know very little so they just start ranting about AMD's delay, but take very little time to inform themselves about the potential reasons behind the delays.
Old September 9, 2011, 04:52 AM
Banned

Well, lets put what we know to date suspect or not & figure this out then for the delay using some logic:
- we know yields are suspect
- we know they want to sell abunch of chips & recoup moneys any ways possible from failed 8 cored die's
- we also know they want to satisfy the consumer as well

Would you then blame them for the delay if then they wanted to maximize profit/sales as well as satisfy consumers with maximum preformance, variety & availability on launch?

I found this list online of what is supost to launch. Lets for arguments sake say its within 10% of sandy bridges preformance vs comparable sandy chips. Would you be interested in them as a upgrade or for a new build if you had no allegence to either amd or intel?

FX-8150: 3.6Ghz / 4.2Ghz T.C, 8C/8T, 8MB L3 Cache, 125W TDP, 32Nm, B2 Revision $299
FX-8120: 3.1Ghz / 4.0Ghz T.C, 8C/8T, 8MB L3 Cache, 125W TDP, 32Nm, B2 Revision $259
FX-8120: 3.1Ghz / 4.0Ghz T.C, 8C/8T, 8MB L3 Cache, 95W TDP, 32Nm, B2 Revision $229
FX-8100: 2.8Ghz / 3.7Ghz T.C, 8C/8T, 8MB L3 Cache, 95W TDP, 32Nm, B2 Revision $199
FX-6100: 3.3Ghz / 3.9Ghz T.C, 6C , 8MB L3 Cache 6MB L2, 95W TDP, 32Nm, B2 Revision $159
FX-4170: 4.2Ghz / 4.3Ghz T.C, 4C , 8MB L3 Cache 4MB L2, 125W TDP, 32Nm, B2 Revision $129
FX-4100: 3.6Ghz / 3.8Ghz T.C, 4C , 8MB L3 Cache 4MB L2, 95W TDP, 32Nm, B2 Revision $100

BTW, the prices at the end of each one are what I am sugesting AMD might price them at & not actualy MSRP.

Last edited by terrybear; September 9, 2011 at 06:00 AM.
Old September 9, 2011, 05:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I know that AMD is trying to put the best cpus out that they are capable of, I just think that these continous delays are hurting them somewhat. The fact that the price points for these chips are lower than Intel's is a huge plus for them. AMD will take more of a hit if these chips don't perform to what people are hoping/expecting to see. Having said that, I could easily see myself getting one of the 41xx chips, don't really need any more than that for my use. I might still go that way with my main desktop.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 9, 2011, 04:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post

I found this list online of what is supost to launch. Lets for arguments sake say its within 10% of sandy bridges preformance vs comparable sandy chips. Would you be interested in them as a upgrade or for a new build if you had no allegence to either amd or intel?

FX-8150: 3.6Ghz / 4.2Ghz T.C, 8C/8T, 8MB L3 Cache, 125W TDP, 32Nm, B2 Revision $299

BTW, the prices at the end of each one are what I am sugesting AMD might price them at & not actualy MSRP.
Well, because I chose to upgrade my recently fried AMD board (since I already had a good decend CPU), I would actually highly consider getting the FX-8150, as an upgrade, presuming that the performance is acceptable. Though I would still probably wait and see how Intel's early SB-E' would fair; time will tell.

Last edited by EmptyMellon; September 9, 2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Removed signature - space saving
Old September 9, 2011, 08:49 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I know saw a chart here somewhere on the forums that gave likely pricing for the bulldozer chips... can't seem to find it, but here is a link to the article on TPU. AMD Bulldozer, Llano Pricing Surface | techPowerUp

This table does not include some of the new chips that AMD has said they will be releasing at the same time.
The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old September 9, 2011, 09:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
I know saw a chart here somewhere on the forums that gave likely pricing for the bulldozer chips... can't seem to find it, but here is a link to the article on TPU. AMD Bulldozer, Llano Pricing Surface | techPowerUp

This table does not include some of the new chips that AMD has said they will be releasing at the same time.
Lats I heard in july or maybe even august was the 8130 for $269.

Tags
amd , bulldozer , pcmag.com , september release