Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 10, 2011, 04:23 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

LOL!

Btw back to the cpu business, I'm interested more in the per core performance rather than the core count.. we need something 2500k-style which will be fast in everything, not just encoding/decoding.
Old August 12, 2011, 10:19 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

I just saw this article and WOW it would be great if the stock cooler was up to snuff but will it drive up the cost too much?

AMD Considers Equipping FX Chips with Liquid-Cooling Solution - X-bit labs
Old August 12, 2011, 10:55 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If they use that Antec/Asetek unit, I will not be very pleased; They should use CoolIT's units IMHO

I also hope that they don't drive up the price too much
Old August 15, 2011, 05:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
If they use that Antec/Asetek unit, I will not be very pleased; They should use CoolIT's units IMHO

I also hope that they don't drive up the price too much
Or go along Intel's lines and don't include any cooling at all, much like AMD does with their Opteron processors. In the end, the server/enthusiast market will customize their cooling solution pending usage senarios and the aftermarket vendors will be very thankfull as well, while AMD can produce less garbage with the stock coolers.
Old August 15, 2011, 11:09 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Apparently Sandy Bridge-E shipping light without a heatsink/fan :: TweakTown USA Edition
:P
Old August 16, 2011, 03:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I have a ASUS m4a89gtd pro, so I could run a BD

I fear BD will be way behind SB i5-2500k in games

most games don't use 4 cores yet, let alone 8, all I want/need is a 4 core gaming chip.

And if the FX8 is clocked higher and can OC better than the FX4, for me thats even worse again, because theres no point paying +$300 for a faster 8 core just to 2-4 cores in games

What would the price and performance of a FX4 or FX6 have to be for me to upgrade from my pII x4 40, I don't know, but with the i5-2500k at $220 and some Z68 MB being IB capable aswell.....
Old August 16, 2011, 12:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedShackley View Post
I have a ASUS m4a89gtd pro, so I could run a BD

I fear BD will be way behind SB i5-2500k in games

most games don't use 4 cores yet, let alone 8, all I want/need is a 4 core gaming chip.

And if the FX8 is clocked higher and can OC better than the FX4, for me thats even worse again, because theres no point paying +$300 for a faster 8 core just to 2-4 cores in games

What would the price and performance of a FX4 or FX6 have to be for me to upgrade from my pII x4 40, I don't know, but with the i5-2500k at $220 and some Z68 MB being IB capable aswell.....
Cept you forgot the main fact win 7 utilizes all the cores, other apps utilize all the cores & the most ovious that there ARE games out there that will utilize the cores. Games from last year forward ARE multi core supported, so your theory/observation is a lil shot down there.

Good luck tryin to game in a multi core intensive game & have other apps running in the background on a 2500K ... Peaple seem to not factor into things the multi tasking / multi application side of things. If all you run on a pc is 1 game/application & NOTHING else then core's/threads beyond say 2 isn't a big issue for you. BUT start throwing into the background activly running things like im's, ventrilo/teamspeak/skype not to mention the cpu resources tied up by any onboard items you've enabled & more & more you cpu is stressed out/running warmer. That is where having more cores benefits in not only resources but also heat n such.
Old August 16, 2011, 12:40 PM
Banned

Either way, if the top 8 core dozer preforms as rumored around that of between a intel 2600K & 980X then at a $300 price point weither its being used on a old board or a new one its gonna be a good deal. The true test will be how they preform on the AM3+ 9xx series boards vs compatible AM3 boards.
Old August 16, 2011, 01:11 PM
Banned
F@H

dont expect all the fancy core shutdowns and what not on older mobos though..some may say ;)
Old August 16, 2011, 02:32 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryeguy151 View Post
I just saw this article and WOW it would be great if the stock cooler was up to snuff but will it drive up the cost too much?

AMD Considers Equipping FX Chips with Liquid-Cooling Solution - X-bit labs
???

May as well put a $20 check, as the first thing I would do is put that on kijiji. Anyone buying their top of the line CPU's is almost guaranteed to have a great air cooler, or at least a decent cpu loop.