Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 27, 2011, 02:57 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Honestly, do we even need anything faster than last gen Core iX chips? It maybe be useful for people that render stuff but for the average user.... Core 2 Duo is more than enough.

if youre talking about folks going on youtube and checking emails? too much :p
Old July 27, 2011, 06:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Honestly, do we even need anything faster than last gen Core iX chips? It maybe be useful for people that render stuff but for the average user.... Core 2 Duo is more than enough.
2 cores for normal usage and the other 6 is for their e-peen. Although I have convinced many that the Core i5 2500K is more than enough for them, they would still insist on getting a Core i7 2600K just because they think that the extra 4 virtual threads are beneficial to them. What they don't realize is that the virtual cores aren't active during light workloads and improvement is a paltry ~20% at best over a Core i5 2500K.
Old July 27, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Well right now no, that's what I was kind of getting at, the only advantage is raw folding numbers. It would be sick if you could fold on 4 cores and game on the other 4... Then I would most definately wait for BD but I don't currently have a folding rig so I don't know how it works. All I know is that it is for a good cause and team HWC is bad ass and I wish to be a part of the bad assery.
Old July 27, 2011, 07:26 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Well right now no, that's what I was kind of getting at, the only advantage is raw folding numbers. It would be sick if you could fold on 4 cores and game on the other 4... Then I would most definately wait for BD but I don't currently have a folding rig so I don't know how it works. All I know is that it is for a good cause and team HWC is bad ass and I wish to be a part of the bad assery.
amen!

Old July 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if youre talking about folks going on youtube and checking emails? too much :p
Well the work computer uses Pentium 4 with HT. I gave my mom an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.7Ghz (which I'm trying to sell) and she said it was slow, so I think a Core 2 Duo is about right in terms of everyday mainstream usage. But you can't buy Core 2 computers anymore, so to be more with the current times, a new Core i3 or AMD Athlon X4 based computer is more than enough for the average user.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0991 View Post
2 cores for normal usage and the other 6 is for their e-peen. Although I have convinced many that the Core i5 2500K is more than enough for them, they would still insist on getting a Core i7 2600K just because they think that the extra 4 virtual threads are beneficial to them. What they don't realize is that the virtual cores aren't active during light workloads and improvement is a paltry ~20% at best over a Core i5 2500K.
Only reason I'm holding back on building a new computer is because I have too many, and because I really won't make use of that extra performance except for Folding@Home. Only CPU game I play the most is SC2 so I'll probably just slap a Bulldozer onto my current rig and call it a day. The other games, yea I still haven't beaten em lol.
Old July 27, 2011, 11:28 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Smile

Quote:
Yes, but our (great!) HWC site was not made for these kind of users anyways... still yes, not everyone needs it, but we await and discuss it endlessly just because we love it, for the sake of the thing.
You know, just 10-20% or so of the guys here will consider buying it but still, why not have a good time here with our fellow HW freaks ;)
Old August 9, 2011, 12:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think a lot of people make the wrong assumption that "normal" people only do one thing at a time on their computer...

What about the guy who has facebook open 34/7, watches youtube, has music play, and has some other program open + all the background stuff they may have (virus scanners, bloat, etc)? I've seen a lot of people who say you don't need the extra cores, but for anyone who likes to have more than 2 programs open at once, you'll really start to notice the benefits of the extra cores as you add more programs to your "currently running" list. That's just my 2c, but yeah.
Old August 9, 2011, 11:30 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
What about the guy who has facebook open 34/7, watches youtube .
When did we add ten hours to a day??

The oath to serve your country did not include a contract for normal luxury, and comforts enjoyed within our society. On the contrary it implies hardships, loyalty and devotion to duty, regardless of rank
Old August 9, 2011, 12:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Greeeeeat.

That means my work will want me for 8 of it, at the same pay, of course.
Old August 9, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Greeeeeat.

That means my work will want me for 8 of it, at the same pay, of course.
I know how that is I work on a day rate 24 hours day = $150, 1 hour day = $150, Unfortunately whenever I am in the field which can be for a month at a time they are all 24 hour days. Oh the life of a student in the summer lol