Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2011, 03:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
With AMD, 10 cores = 10 threads. Only Intel implements hyper threading. And about the socket change - yea it's disappointing especially when the 1155 will see the next gen 'haswell' 22nm cpus.
What I find interesting about the 10 core possibility is I still think there's room for a 12 or even maybe a 16 core as AMD just anounce all the interlagos 16 core opterons becoming available in aug.

Oh & if intel's track record says anything they'll STILL try to get peaple to upgrade to a new & "needed" board for the haswell's.

Last edited by terrybear; July 26, 2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Then you OVIOUSLY have not been following, using, researching & building pc's for the last 3 decade's as I have then ... Intel has ALWAYS overpriced there stuff as well as overmarket themselves with catch phrases & subliminal type advertising so you don't think about its "cost". Maybe once IF ever in the last 3 decade's has intel ever had to sell cpu's more at a amd level/pricing point & even then it STILL wasn't all that much "cheaper".

And unless you run BOTH synthetic & non synthetic tests there's no way you DO notice a diffrence ... I even had won a dell box with a Core i7 860 in it ..... you think i noticed any diffrence between booting it & my X4 955 BE @ 3.6 ghz up ..... nada ... nothing they both booted & reacted the same when I was in the os doin some stuff. AND i'm not the only user on some of these canadian based forum whom see's it & also agree's with me whom are indipendant system builders. Needless to say if I was "all that impressed with the Core i7 860 box i wouldn't have sold it to my bud for a good price & sold him my X4 system insted.

The " pro consumer " types like myself nowadays are the ones that can see thru all the mumbo jumbo marketing/hype & base there views on real time preformance, cost, ease of use/assembly & ect. NOT on things like how high there 3dmark or pc mark bench is cause as alot of review sites do mention there is ALOT of biasing goin on in them just look at that recent bench that was left by AMD, Nvidia & Via cause of that point.
No only the last 2 decades, I understand extreme and FX type cpus are over priced they always will be and yes Intels can be slightly more for a simular cpu but that simular cpu edges out the amd 9/10.
And your right I sucumbed to subliminal messaging thats why I was on AMD for 15 years up till a month ago, go put your tinfoil hat back on.

Yes AMD build can be cheaper but they are also mostly slower in benchmarks and gaming, sure in a idle desktop your not going to notice much but add in a gfx card that pushes a cpu and sure notice the difference. I am not saying that AMD cpu's are sunpar they are great cpus but right now, aka since 939, they are slower than there Intel counter parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 26, 2011, 04:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
And your right I sucumbed to subliminal messaging thats why I was on AMD for 15 years up till a month ago, go put your tinfoil hat back on.

Yes AMD build can be cheaper but they are also mostly slower in benchmarks and gaming, sure in a idle desktop your not going to notice much but add in a gfx card that pushes a cpu and sure notice the difference. I am not saying that AMD cpu's are sunpar they are great cpus but right now, aka since 939, they are slower than there Intel counter parts.
RIIIIIGGGHHHHT, do you have ANY clue about marketing/advertising .... oviously not by your responce mr go put on a tin foil hat. I supose you'd like to tell me that tim horton's coffee DOESN'T have nicoteen in it & mcdonalds sells healthy food as well ...

Oh & yes .... the system my friend bought off me with a 1 step up videocard in it, is far superior to whats in my signature for gaming .... RIIIIGHT ..... we play the same games & in alot of instances MY system still outpreforms his by 20-50 fps in games .... I still even bet IF his system had my current videocard in it it's not be overtaking mine .... Oh & again please do point out to me what your refering to in what I have bolded then if you may be so kind to do.

I understand wanting to try out a intel platform, thats understandable, but just basing that on some "benches" that in part could be biased i don't think is valid enough to do so.

Last edited by terrybear; July 26, 2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old July 26, 2011, 05:46 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

What I am hoping for, is the Bulldozer cpu offers a noticable performance upgrade to the 965BE I am running - so that it can supply ample performance for the next generation graphics cards that should be released this fall. If the benchmarks show that it is, then the estimated $300 price will be worth it. I just don't know how it will perform on my Crosshair IV board vs the Crosshair V.

Last edited by RBA; July 27, 2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Spelling - grammer
Old July 26, 2011, 06:28 AM
Banned
F@H

19 september something? thats still far far away :)

here' to hoping prices will be killer!
Old July 27, 2011, 08:23 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
19 september something? thats still far far away :)

here' to hoping prices will be killer!
Did someone say price?

I doubt that it would be priced at USD269 though and the fact that the information is sourced from OBR just makes it even worse. It would be great if it is true but I would think that an 8 core BD should cost as much or slightly more than a Core i7 2600K.
Old July 27, 2011, 10:55 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Honestly I'm more concerned about performance rather than a few bucks here and there.
Old July 27, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

With every Bulldozer thread I find it harder to wait for BD to come out. Even if it out performs SB I don't need anything that outperforms SB... bigadv will be pretty sweet on an 8 core clocked at 5.0 ghz I'd imagine.
Old July 27, 2011, 02:53 PM
Banned
F@H

guys, i see people talking about 5ghz liek it was nothing lol

wait for the retail chips,get them to 4.5 on little voltage,little being the emphasis,
then post your findings :)
Old July 27, 2011, 02:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
With every Bulldozer thread I find it harder to wait for BD to come out. Even if it out performs SB I don't need anything that outperforms SB... bigadv will be pretty sweet on an 8 core clocked at 5.0 ghz I'd imagine.
Honestly, do we even need anything faster than last gen Core iX chips? It maybe be useful for people that render stuff but for the average user.... Core 2 Duo is more than enough.