Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 25, 2011, 06:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
Lol, I hope it's good... I decided that my next build is AMD just to stick it to intel for charging fat price premiums for their products and not having backwards compatibility with sockets.
Congradulations for being one of the ones to break away from the "flock" of intel users. If only more peaple could do so maybe amd could finaly catch up some & intel finaly take a kick in the nuts & get abit of a "reality check".

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonTrooper View Post
With the performance gap between Intel and AMD right now, I'd hardly call it "fat price premiums."

Just my opinion though.
Intel has ALWAYS overcharged & overmarked up there products period. Even when they've not been the best you's ALWAYS had to pay out your azz just to own " intel ". Of course when most of us consumers started gettin " more for your money " with non intel branded motherboards & other products that US technicaly more savier folks noted that why do we need to pay more for something when the cheaper items does the same job & the savings will go into our pockets or into more higher end parts for the build.

Face facts .... MANY users have kept buying intel over the years cause of there smart subliminal marketing to non knowledgable folks over the decades (example " its not a pc, unless its a intel ") or the "cool" factor cause "everyones got one so i need to own one too" or the other saying in just to flex there "e-penis".

Like I've said on MANY occasions in the forums i've belonged to ..... build 2 non labeled/non identifyable equaly preforming AMD & Intel box's .... sit folks down at them & get them to do the same tasks on both. I gurentee you at LEAST 90% or more of those comon consumers wouldn't be able to tell you the diffrence.
Old July 25, 2011, 07:06 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Either company who has had the "best" has charged a premium for it. Its just that amd hasnt been near the best for a while so people may have forgotten. I remember when the FX-60 (939) was over $1000.

Steam \ BFBC2 ID - Coffaholic | RIFT - Coffaholic \ Perspice Shard

Old July 25, 2011, 07:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Congradulations for being one of the ones to break away from the "flock" of intel users. If only more peaple could do so maybe amd could finaly catch up some & intel finaly take a kick in the nuts & get abit of a "reality check".

Intel has ALWAYS overcharged & overmarked up there products period. Even when they've not been the best you's ALWAYS had to pay out your azz just to own " intel ". Of course when most of us consumers started gettin " more for your money " with non intel branded motherboards & other products that US technicaly more savier folks noted that why do we need to pay more for something when the cheaper items does the same job & the savings will go into our pockets or into more higher end parts for the build.

Face facts .... MANY users have kept buying intel over the years cause of there smart subliminal marketing to non knowledgable folks over the decades (example " its not a pc, unless its a intel ") or the "cool" factor cause "everyones got one so i need to own one too" or the other saying in just to flex there "e-penis".

Like I've said on MANY occasions in the forums i've belonged to ..... build 2 non labeled/non identifyable equaly preforming AMD & Intel box's .... sit folks down at them & get them to do the same tasks on both. I gurentee you at LEAST 90% or more of those common consumers wouldn't be able to tell you the diffrence.
lol Even me a staunch AMDer has to say um sorry no, intel isnt overpriced right now, sure they have been in the past as has AMD. As Coffee pointed out the FX chips of yesteryear were way overpriced for the time. And cpu to cpu I am afraid Intel beats out AMD's lineup, I agree that most ppl will not notice the difference but I know I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old July 25, 2011, 07:22 PM
Banned
F@H

everything is overpriced...but then again you got to compare it to something :)

if intel,amd or any other co are alone in the lead? hell theyll charge 4 arms and the 5th leg too!
Old July 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

i just cant wait to get back on the amd bandwagon....i enjoy amd, regardless of what others say (hold for bashing) i like their drivers, i like thier simply marketing (prob cause they arent on top) but i just plain enjoy them...im looking forward to bulldozer, and selling this great working i5 750 @ 3.8 everyday (including chimp challenge) and the 40C humidex! we had last week
Old July 25, 2011, 07:43 PM
Banned
F@H

you better get selling lol.

its going to be interesting though, at least on the marketing side

a 200 dollar octo core amd dozer or an intel sandy bridge 2500k ? :)
Old July 26, 2011, 02:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

10 cores in late 2012..?
Attached Images

Old July 26, 2011, 03:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT7R View Post
10 cores in late 2012..?
I was noteing that as well yesterday when I was reading it ... it would be the next step for shure, but are we talkin bout 10 actual core count or 10 "units" = 20 core count. It's very vauge in the specifics whom is to say its not 5 cpu+1 apu either ....

Which also now brings up the next point ..... new future forward AMD FM1 socket platform. This kinda makes me abit hesident to upgrade now if there is not much future cpu support for the AM3+ boards that are out there now. IF this is to facilitate better interconnects for higher bandwidth support in ram/apu & ect I can understand that, BUT if this is nessicary to bring preformance up to a more competitive level they should not be waitin till 2012 to release it.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:36 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
I was noteing that as well yesterday when I was reading it ... it would be the next step for shure, but are we talkin bout 10 actual core count or 10 "units" = 20 core count. It's very vauge in the specifics whom is to say its not 5 cpu+1 apu either ....

Which also now brings up the next point ..... new future forward AMD FM1 socket platform. This kinda makes me abit hesident to upgrade now if there is not much future cpu support for the AM3+ boards that are out there now. IF this is to facilitate better interconnects for higher bandwidth support in ram/apu & ect I can understand that, BUT if this is nessicary to bring preformance up to a more competitive level they should not be waitin till 2012 to release it.
With AMD, 10 cores = 10 threads. Only Intel implements hyper threading. And about the socket change - yea it's disappointing especially when the 1155 will see the next gen 'haswell' 22nm cpus.
Old July 26, 2011, 03:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
lol Even me a staunch AMDer has to say um sorry no, intel isnt overpriced right now, sure they have been in the past as has AMD. As Coffee pointed out the FX chips of yesteryear were way overpriced for the time. And cpu to cpu I am afraid Intel beats out AMD's lineup, I agree that most ppl will not notice the difference but I know I do.
Then you OVIOUSLY have not been following, using, researching & building pc's for the last 3 decade's as I have then ... Intel has ALWAYS overpriced there stuff as well as overmarket themselves with catch phrases & subliminal type advertising so you don't think about its "cost". Maybe once IF ever in the last 3 decade's has intel ever had to sell cpu's more at a amd level/pricing point & even then it STILL wasn't all that much "cheaper". Oh & we won't hit on Intels own business ethnics ala the early 2000's Dell deals & ect other company's they pulled to prevent those companies from sellings AMD's better offering at the time.

And unless you run BOTH synthetic & non synthetic tests there's no way you DO notice a diffrence ... I even had won a dell box with a Core i7 860 in it ..... you think i noticed any diffrence between booting it & my X4 955 BE @ 3.6 ghz up ..... nada ... nothing they both booted & reacted the same when I was in the os doin some stuff. AND i'm not the only user on some of these canadian based forum whom see's it & also agree's with me whom are indipendant system builders. Needless to say if I was "all that impressed with the Core i7 860 box i wouldn't have sold it to my bud for a good price & sold him my X4 system insted.

The " pro consumer " types like myself nowadays are the ones that can see thru all the mumbo jumbo marketing/hype & base there views on real time preformance, cost, ease of use/assembly & ect. NOT on things like how high there 3dmark or pc mark bench is cause as alot of review sites do mention there is ALOT of biasing goin on in them just look at that recent bench that was left by AMD, Nvidia & Via cause of that point.

Last edited by terrybear; July 26, 2011 at 03:48 AM.