Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 18, 2011, 01:37 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Default RIM to stop producing current Playbook also? Update: denied by RIM[Globe and Mail]

Wow:
Quote:
Investment research firm OTR Global has issued a report saying RIM may be about to stop production of the Wi-Fi-only version of its tablet. RIM had been expected to launch a cellular-equipped version of the PlayBook later this year, but for now, the only one available to consumers is the Wi-Fi model.
RIM may stop producing current PlayBook: report - The Globe and Mail

So they scrap the bigger model, and now its possible that they will only have a cellular version?

This is the reason the article gives for such a decision:

Quote:
RBC analyst Mike Abramsky said in a note that the move to discontinue the Wi-Fi PlayBook may reflect RIM's strategy to lower channel inventory after lower-than-expected sales, or a realization by the company that a cellular-equipped PlayBook may cannibalize sales of the current model, among other factors.

However Mr. Abramsky said the move may also be prompted by a shift in priorities at the company, as RIM prepares to launch an entirely new line of smart phones in 2012 running on an operating system developed by QNX, a software-maker the company bought last year.
I don't agree with this decision or the rationale above. It can't really be that hard to have wifi and cellular in one package nowadays....and to drop the Playbook with the poor effort shown by RIM so far to make it successful is awful.

I know I would look at a Playbook once a wifi and cellular version were released, and especially if they offered a tablet-sized version (ie. an Asus or Ipad sized one).

But to give me the small screen they have now, with only cellular or only wifi?

Edit: this is now denied (thankfully) by RIM:

“Rumours suggesting that the Wi-Fi version of the BlackBerry PlayBook is being discontinued are pure fiction,” RIM said in a statement sent to The Globe and Mail. “Over the past month, the PlayBook has launched in 16 additional markets around the world and further rollouts are planned for Southeast Asia, Western Europe and the Middle East in the coming weeks.”
RIM denies reports of plan to discontinue Wi-Fi PlayBook - The Globe and Mail
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; July 18, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old July 18, 2011, 01:57 PM
Allstar

That would be a shame, who wants to pay for an extra data plan with a cellular version? My playbook's tethering works great with my 9780, one data plan. I like the size of the playbook over the iphone large print for the elderly. I use a vnc app for some of our more critical servers and I can read the un-zoomed screen fine, paired with a keyboard with a touch pad I can do emergency fixes on the servers if I have too. I know the other tablets can do this, but I downgraded/upgraded to a playbook over a netbook because it reduced the size even more.

I think rim does have a solid tablet with the playbook, if they cut production/development its not just seen as a weakness, but it would shake the confidence in the most avid rim supporters that have purchased playbooks.
Old July 18, 2011, 03:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

How often now have we been getting false/inaccurate or jumping the gun stories from G&M relating to tech stuff, its staggering, ridiculous and to me they've lost all credibility.
Old July 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If they stop doint the playbook, who will care? They already have their phone to focus on because they are not what they were in future, jump on the tablet market once you have some marketshare back on the phone market.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 28, 2011, 10:20 PM
Rookie

the playbook is one of the best things RIM has come out with in a while, so I highly doubt this.
Old July 30, 2011, 04:26 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

RIM did not launch it well. I also read reviews that said the pre-release models were bad and required a BB to get eMail (which hasn't changed TMK). They need to take this back to the drawing board and put time into it as this was a me-too product that RIM made to grab some of the iPad's market share and revenue.