Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 26, 2008, 10:58 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I tried Crysis for an hour on an SLI setup... visually stunning but the game play didn't draw me in at all personally. So good looks, can't dispute that. I think it's a demo to sell the engine personally, I think game play was last on their list of things to do.
Old January 26, 2008, 11:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkorb View Post
Pics like that bring tears to my eyes. Seeing what some people are doing with Sandbox is just mindblowing and it gives some real how as to what the future brings.

However no matter how much you optimize a game that looks like that, you'll need a tricked out DeLorean, a willey-haired and slightly nuts genius and about a ton of plutonium to bring a supercomputer named Alf back from the year 2150 to play it.
Old January 26, 2008, 05:13 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
GOing buy the price of the 8800gtx or what ever they are called for over 700.00 i would imagine that the 9800 cards would be the price of a lower to cheap parted medium priced computer
Well, the Ultra was over $800 when it came out.
Old January 26, 2008, 05:21 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
Given what we know about SLI and Crossfire scaling the OP's hypothesis on speed at this point don't fly in my opinion. To add to it, no one seems to be struggling getting 3870 cores into some pretty phenomenal OC's with a little tweaking. Let's put it in perspective though, I personally can't tell the difference between the 5-10 per cent that seems to separate cards these days so I think the primary argument will be as werty says in his post - one of price and availability with each fanboy camp sticking to themselves.
That's true, likely a lot of fanboys will buy their favourite brand whether it's a better deal or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Crysis is one of the most over-hyped pieces of crap to ever disgrace the gaming scene. It is so poorly optimised that there is no way it should be considered the definitive gaming benchmark. The fact that even 8800ultra SLI can't play it smoothly is ridiculous. The game is not that good that it should be basically unplayable by current high end PC's. It doesn't even run multiple core CPU's properly like it is stated it can. The game is a joke, period.
I is a good tech demo though. But hey, 3DMark shouldn't be considered a definitive gaming benchmark either, but it's rare that there's a review without it. Same for Crysis.
Old January 28, 2008, 06:12 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Crysis is one of the most over-hyped pieces of crap to ever disgrace the gaming scene. It is so poorly optimised that there is no way it should be considered the definitive gaming benchmark. The fact that even 8800ultra SLI can't play it smoothly is ridiculous. The game is not that good that it should be basically unplayable by current high end PC's. It doesn't even run multiple core CPU's properly like it is stated it can. The game is a joke, period.
Easy down, bro, haha. It's just a game; no need to get angry.

Actually, I found Crysis to scale quite well on my computer. I was running it at 1680x1050 on medium settings with a consistently playable framerate, and it still looked great.

I found the gameplay to actually be a lot of fun, and everyone I know who has played it also enjoyed it for the abundant ways to accomplish each level (until the invasion, then it becomes a little too linear for our tastes). I loved the gameplay - however, my gripe with the game is that it was a little too short.

By the way, Crysis (and the CryEngine2) was never meant to have its full potential tapped with current hardware. It was built from the ground up to look beautiful for at least two generations, so why you're angry that the game's visual technology is beyond where we're at now is mind-boggling. Should we slow down the pace of graphical-software advances so that hardware can keep up? I think not.
2 x WD 500 GB // Antec Trio 650W
Antec P180 with 2 x Stealth 120mm fan

Last edited by RobbyP; January 28, 2008 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Meant to say "ground" instead of "group" in last para.
Old January 29, 2008, 08:22 AM
Top Prospect

Being a gamer, and also an Environment Modeler, I can say Crysis is pretty remarkable. I also have no problem getting it to play on my single 3870. Wow I don't get to use Super high on everything. I don't think a lot of people get why. They wanted you to be able to upgrade later, and be able to increase your Crysis Expierence. Essentially they made it so when you upgrade your system in a year, you can upgrade your Crysis expierence instead of just getting a boost in frame rate you get a boost in eye candy as well.

One point to mention, and being a world modeler, if you'd like to play most things on high, turn the object quality to low. Even at low Object quality at any given time you'll see 600,000 tri's. Thats insane. Thats more than just about any other game at high. If you put it on super high its like 2 million tris'. ( tri's are triangles, its how your video card draws every piece of geometry you see ) Basically they engineered it so knowing that current hardware cannot handle that many tri's. But they will.

Cards like these 3870X2's and 9800x2's Will get you closer, having 2 of them will get you closer again. I actually applaud Cervat's idea of making the game ' upgrade responsive ' vs just getting an increase in framerates ( which you can get by just leaving your settings the same ) or you can increase the level of detail and maintain a suitable framerate.

I also have no problem with it running on my current dual core single GPU rig? If you cant get it running thats your problem. Also remember it has had a patch, driver updates have come out. So please dont link me to some stupid crysis test from before christmas showing me how bad it plays. I own it, I play it, and thankfully I undertand more of whats going on than the average joe.

Stops me from making posts about " worst game ever " you really need to go play E.T.

Last edited by Keir; January 29, 2008 at 08:24 AM. Reason: grammer>me
Old January 29, 2008, 08:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I don't hate Crysis. What I do hate is that it is so poorly optimized that you need to run such low settings on high end PC's. If it properly used multi-core CPU's and if SLI/Crossfire was properly supported, it would already be quite playable on higher settings. I knew it was doomed as soon as EA got their greedy little hands in on it.

As for 3D Mark, it is probably the most useless benchmark made considering the HD2900 can beat pretty much any other video card at will and cannot play a game with any AA without problems.
Old January 29, 2008, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

poorly optimized, I think not. Like what Keir said even on low object settings there are more triangles to render then most games with high object detail. The game looks better then any other game and people expect to play it at 1920 x 1200 with very high and 16QAA. I can run it at very high at 1280 x 1024 with some lag at points and it looks amazing. Just turn down shaders to medium and it is smooth enough for enjoyment. Crysis is good at 720p for now so when the 9 series comes out maybe we can play at 1080p. Remember farcry. Well lets at least hope farcry 2 is a bit more optimized.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 29, 2008, 10:30 PM
Top Prospect

I really doubt that the 9800 x2 is going to be very good at all. I just keep remembering that the 7800gx2 was a big flop. Nvidia just didn't do a very good job integrating the two cores together. Guess it doesn't really matter tho seeing how I won't be buying either cards anyway.
Old January 30, 2008, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaname View Post
I really doubt that the 9800 x2 is going to be very good at all. I just keep remembering that the 7800gx2 was a big flop. Nvidia just didn't do a very good job integrating the two cores together. Guess it doesn't really matter tho seeing how I won't be buying either cards anyway.
It really depends on how well they support it. The 7800gx2 wasn't supported very well.