Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   Windows 8 to feature Metro-style built-in PDF viewer (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/42527-windows-8-feature-metro-style-built-pdf-viewer.html)

botat29 April 14, 2011 08:39 PM

Windows 8 to feature Metro-style built-in PDF viewer

"Coming across a link to a PDF is always a pain, with the hassle of waiting for Adobe’s slow PDF viewer to load and suck 100% processor usage.

It seems those days will soon come to an end, with Raphael Riviera from WithinWindows finding a native PDF viewer in their leaked build of Windows 8"

more here :

Windows 8 to feature Metro-style built-in PDF viewer | Microsoft News

neojjjk April 14, 2011 09:14 PM

why they want to build a new os like win8 ? win7 is working fine .in my opinion they must introduce dx12.

enaberif April 14, 2011 09:23 PM

Microsoft is going back to their 3 yr Windows release.

And for all those suckers still use Acrobat I laugh at thee... Foxit has been much better for a lot longer.

mo' power April 14, 2011 11:28 PM

I don't have any issues with either downloading or simply opening pdf files. Lickety-split as usual.

MacJunky April 15, 2011 12:05 AM

Mac OS X's Preview.app has had the capability to open pdf files since forevar.. How has it taken microsoft this long to do it?

Amarthfea April 15, 2011 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 506302)
Microsoft is going back to their 3 yr Windows release.

And for all those suckers still use Acrobat I laugh at thee... Foxit has been much better for a lot longer.

+1 for foxit, lets me open, read, print, close...
my hypothesis: windows 8 = vista II

enaberif April 15, 2011 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amarthfea (Post 506378)
+1 for foxit, lets me open, read, print, close...
my hypothesis: windows 8 = vista II

From what I read Windows 8 will be able to run on even lower and less powered hardware and have pretty much the same look as 7 with the new ribbon bar *gag*

But I'm all for lower resources.

Desiato April 15, 2011 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacJunky (Post 506341)
Mac OS X's Preview.app has had the capability to open pdf files since forevar.. How has it taken microsoft this long to do it?

I think it's possible that US and EU attention and rulings regarding Microsoft's Windows and Office monopolies pushed back a lot of Windows features over the years. Even the inclusion of media player was a big deal back in the day.

The best Windows PDF reader is: Free PDF Reader - Sumatra PDF by Krzysztof Kowalczyk

It's the best because it has no scripting support, securing it against all PDF exploits. Foxit has had its share of security issues; even Apple's PDF viewer has.

Sumatra works for 90% of the PDF's I use.

Chris April 15, 2011 10:13 AM

Any chance that MS will offer beta testing for free, like win7?

Windows_Canada April 15, 2011 04:29 PM

Excited about this conversation, guys : ) Thanks for all your feedback. Re: beta testing and other specs/questions, we'll keep everyone posted, but might be good to keep an eye on our Facebook Page for information when it comes: Microsoft Windows Canada | Facebook. It's an active space! : )

Windows Canada

--
Win Weekly Sweepstakes happening on our Facebook Page now! Answer a quick question to qualify for weekly prizes such as pre-paid credit cards, Via Rail passes, Xbox 360s and more: Microsoft Windows Canada | Facebook