Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   3870x2 NDA pushed back -delay (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/4210-3870x2-nda-pushed-back-delay.html)

Ugly n Grey January 22, 2008 09:47 AM

3870x2 NDA pushed back -delay

Rumour has it

Looks like it's more driver and OC tool related. The hardware was in hand for some of the top OC'ers quite early (like last month) with recent samples getting out to review sites, but it looks like those with review samples are going to have a bit more time to bench their products.

Some leaked benchies are out the interweb but without context and background it's hard to give them credibility though they look close. Apparently Crisis performance is not all it was hoped it would be with the existing drivers, perhaps a delay for that reason only.

With the claims that the cards are DDR3 based I have to wonder if it shouldn't have more appropriately been called a 3850 512 x2 ...

Source: a half dozen forums around the web that host reviewers. I've just been reading between the lines so to speak and this whole post is entirely speculation. But hey this IS THE RUMOR MILL (no "u" in rumour on a Canuck site? tsk tsk :) )

Thoughts?

werty316 January 22, 2008 10:36 AM

I haven't checked up on any tech news today but what source did you read this from? It better not be The INQ.

SKYMTL January 22, 2008 10:53 AM

Original story is from the Inq.

Ugly n Grey January 22, 2008 11:17 AM

I actually don't read the INQ. I know reviewers have hardware. I'm surmising the rest from hints...

Edit: If you do a search on the people that program after market overclocking tools and utils, you'll get more of the story than you every could off the INQ. Especially if you use Babel etc and check out some of the foreign language sites. They are actively working to get clocks higher with reviewers....

Edit again: If SKY has one, he especially can't tell us anything, so don't be poking him.

Ugly n Grey January 22, 2008 02:51 PM

Articles at techpowerup and tweaktown pretty much confirm new launch date as I surmised, the leaked reviews that are out are also all done at stock clocks , adds a little fuel to the supposition standard OC tools aren't working with the new bridge chip on the cards as well as they do with traditional crossfire boards.... Not that having no tools is a deal breaker, I mean even a couple years ago there was no OC tools for just released cards.

Some supposition is that based on feedback they are taking the extra time to fill the pipe with product to meet the huge demand.... beats me - I'm not going to get one right away anyhow.

SKYMTL January 22, 2008 03:37 PM

I HIGHLY suggest you all wait for some reviews from reputable websites before pining over this card.

Ugly n Grey January 22, 2008 06:55 PM

From what I've seen, I'd say it's a first mediocre stab at what's going to become a multi GPU market. I don't think this card is the one to leap in on either just based on standard manufacturing principle. The big gamers app last year was Crysis and without owning that benchmark I'm not sure how much impact the card will have no matter what 3dmark numbers it puts up. Still, non reference designs are starting to show up so who knows what the future holds. High watts, big heat output... maybe we'll likely see quadfire reviews shortly (if they get drivers that work out) and that will hold some entertainment value. I don't own a single game newer than Empire Earth II so all this is just market curiousity and benchmark scores to me.

Good hint Sky, danke

zlojack January 22, 2008 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 36283)
I HIGHLY suggest you all wait for some reviews from reputable websites before pining over this card.

Damn, that doesn't sound good. :sad:

I am looking forward to the release of this card as I still dream of CrossfireX on my mobo.

Oh well, if not, here's hoping the 9800GTX comes out before my step-up expires.

way January 22, 2008 11:05 PM

Been removed from site, managed to save most of it except p19(oc) and 2-6(setup).

Toms review

ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2 - Fastest Yet! | Tom's Hardware

Ugly n Grey January 23, 2008 07:28 AM

"Rumour has it" some reviewers will be getting their 9800gx2 next week as well (under NDA) so it won't be long before we see comparisons. I'm sort of hoping for real competition in the market so hopefully they won't be too far apart performance wise.