Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2011, 02:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
SLI is done on the hardware level, as is X-fire.

ST
? Explain... you make no sense with what you just wrote.
Old March 16, 2011, 02:18 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
? Explain... you make no sense with what you just wrote.

SLI and Crossfire computation is done via the Hardware, not the game. The Games do not need support for 'multi-gpu' configuration for your system to do it.

The only exception to this rule I think is for PhysX but that is something else entirely.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 16, 2011, 08:53 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

No, the drivers from nVidia need to support SLI profiles for games. SLI and CrossFire IS a software solution that splits up the work between the hardware.
Old March 17, 2011, 08:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
No, the drivers from nVidia need to support SLI profiles for games. SLI and CrossFire IS a software solution that splits up the work between the hardware.

The drivers have their own profile for the game, not the game having a profile for the drivers.
SLI is a hardware and Driver solution. You should probably do some research on it.
The game has nothing to do with it. If i'm incorrect, please show me the info so I know, but as far as I'm aware its done on the Driver/HW level and the game requires nothing to 'support' it. Although there can be enhancements made, that is done on the Driver level.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old March 17, 2011, 12:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Drivers ARE a form of software solution! I never said specifically that the game handled SLI/CF! You are just mis-understanding what I wrote because I poorly worded it.

Sure, one can argue all day that SLI/CF is hardware because it uses multiple GPUs and has to perform the work on both, but the hardware doesn't actually do SLI/CF, it just does the work that is assigned to it. It's like saying that PhysX is a hardware solution. Well, yeah it is, but it's a software implementation to utilize the hardware.
Old March 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Drivers ARE a form of software solution! I never said specifically that the game handled SLI/CF! You are just mis-understanding what I wrote because I poorly worded it.

Sure, one can argue all day that SLI/CF is hardware because it uses multiple GPUs and has to perform the work on both, but the hardware doesn't actually do SLI/CF, it just does the work that is assigned to it. It's like saying that PhysX is a hardware solution. Well, yeah it is, but it's a software implementation to utilize the hardware.

Fair enough, happens all the time around these parts with how people word things.

ST

Old March 20, 2011, 11:36 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can anyone say if there is a GPU review coming out in the next 1-3 days from Hardware Canucks?
Old March 21, 2011, 01:56 PM
Restricted Poster

While Soultribunal and draemn deal with their marital problems, anyone have an idea how NVIDIA is going to cool this fireball? Anyone picturing the triple slot heatsink?
Old March 21, 2011, 02:14 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctech View Post
While Soultribunal and draemn deal with their marital problems, anyone have an idea how NVIDIA is going to cool this fireball? Anyone picturing the triple slot heatsink?
there taking the same route as AMD with duel vapor chambers and a center fan, but the fan is more of a case style fan instead of the blower option that AMD used.
Old March 21, 2011, 04:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

real picture are in!

launch date is 24march, haven't found anything on price but it be will more than a 6990 for sure