Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   Possible MOBO prices increasing soon????? [TechReport] (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/40162-possible-mobo-prices-increasing-soon-techreport.html)

Delavan January 24, 2011 02:16 PM

Possible MOBO prices increasing soon????? [TechReport]

Hey all,

This might be interesting. Who knows....

Link from TechReport:

Expect motherboard prices to rise, says Asus - The Tech Report

Might just be a way to stir up sales a little....

Anyway, good thing to know! IVY bridge and Bulldozer enthusiasts MOBOs might be $$$$$

belgolas January 24, 2011 08:42 PM

Well I heard all electronics are going to increase in price because a lot of electronics use rare earth materials and that rare earth materials are going to go up in price. Also rare earth materials are supposedly running out.

Polygon January 24, 2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belgolas (Post 477999)
Well I heard all electronics are going to increase in price because a lot of electronics use rare earth materials and that rare earth materials are going to go up in price. Also rare earth materials are supposedly running out.

Do you know which rare earth materials? I'm just curious as I've heard this theory before.

belgolas January 24, 2011 10:01 PM

Nope. Just heard it on a podcast saying prices may increase.

Comatose January 25, 2011 10:19 AM

Rare Earth Elements are used mostly for Magnets and Laser Beams so I doubt that as the case for motherboard prices to change.

Soultribunal January 25, 2011 10:39 AM

Catalytic Converters and a few other things as well Comatose. Espically in the Analytical Insturment industry.

Stiil, I'd like to know what exactally would cause the increase? I know copper and gold are hitting amazing Highs right now, and that could play a part in it. As in my industry right now I've seen copper prices really hurt pricing on other fronts.

ST

MAC January 25, 2011 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soultribunal (Post 478235)
Stiil, I'd like to know what exactally would cause the increase?

Probably the rare earth metals issue.

A) China produces 95% of the world's rare earth metals, B) they have pledged to slash exports of the metals by 35%, C) they just nationalized most of their rare earth mines last week.

Soultribunal January 25, 2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 478341)
Probably the rare earth metals issue.

A) China produces 95% of the world's rare earth metals, B) they have pledged to slash exports of the metals by 35%, C) they just nationalized most of their rare earth mines last week.

I should have been more specific, which metals are the cause.

Like I said, I know copper is the big one, and that is in Chilie's hands, not China's IIRC.

ST

martin_metal_88 January 25, 2011 02:14 PM

So that's why logitech price went up and quality down for the past 2 years 8-)

snoosebum January 25, 2011 03:10 PM

Copper is at all time highs but thats still only 4.30 cents a lb.

Copper Prices, London Metal Exchange and COMEX Copper prices, Copper news, charts, historical prices.

I think gigabyte was advertising 2 Ounces of copper in thier UD motherboards so thats just over 50 cents worth.... Theres some copper in the brass motherboard standoffs and misc parts? Still doesnt add up too much.