Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   CrossfireX delay & DX10 a Lame Duck ?! (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/4011-crossfirex-delay-dx10-lame-duck.html)

way January 9, 2008 02:58 PM

CrossfireX delay & DX10 a Lame Duck ?!

Fudzilla
Fudzilla - CrossfireX driver expected this quarter

I am in the sad and embarassing position of waiting 6 months for just the right video card to come along(stupid Most Wanted,yay Serious Sam,Grim Fandango next?),I know I know.I am still buying a card, but now I dont know if it will be the R680 (or Nvidia equivalent) as originally thought or a nice used dx9 cheapie to get me by until the industry gets its stuff together.I am just getting back into pc gaming :punk: and wanted something that would last a bit.It did not occur to me until last night reading CES "news" that upgrading gradually with dx10 crossfirex is pointless if DX11(assuming it has some longevity)is so close!Are companies now going to skip dx10 without it ever getting off the ground?Bought WIC and Lost PLanet in anticipation! So I guess its probably full steam ahead anyway with r680(or equivilant) and not worry too much about the possibility of upgrading this particular build(q6600 4gigs)for games of tomorrow.No January crossfirex drivers as well?aaarrrgh.Here I was thinking graphics card makers were shifting their sli xfire strategy to aid in upgradeability and avoid obsolesance.Alas,it looks as though it is still for those who can afford to buy 2 or three of the latest and greatest in one go.

Anyone with insight into hardware and software development cycles care to put their 2 cents in? Thanks for hearing my rant and speculation

Bah!! I am probably taking up the wrong hobby(bought a turntable yesterday:biggrin: for my long play hi-fi delity recordings)

sam101p5 January 9, 2008 03:04 PM

HD3850 might fit the bill -- not too expensive

Will ace the games you play

can always x-fire or just grab a bigger card when the time comes.

SKYMTL January 9, 2008 03:15 PM

Actually, with Crossfire X, you can pair up a HD3850 with a high-end card.

sam101p5 January 9, 2008 03:18 PM

ooh

so an HD3850 with a HD3870 for example?

SKYMTL January 9, 2008 03:24 PM

Yes. But you need one of AMD's new 7-series mobos

way January 9, 2008 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 33957)
Actually, with Crossfire X, you can pair up a HD3850 with a high-end card.

Without underclocking the faster card?It would be nice if that were the case.

MpG January 9, 2008 03:30 PM

My thoughts:
  • At present, DX10 has been supported by cards for over a year, and there still isn't a single game out there that doesn't use DX9.
  • The ones that also support DX10 almost universally use it for high-end settings that most cards aren't capable of running smoothly.
  • Despite many other rumours about them, I've seen no indication that G100/R700/Whatever the hell NVidia and ATI actually call their new architectures will support DX11. Even if they do, they're not expected for at least half a year yet.
  • Conclusion: It's going to be a loooong time before you'll need a DX11 card.
Grab a 8800 GT or an HD3850, you'll do alright. If you got a little money, the 8800GTS and HD3870 will give you a little more performance at slightly less value. If you have some money and patience, there have been rumours that Nvidia's going to be turning out a single card replacement for the 8800 GTX, just slightly below their upcoming dual-PCB card.

Thund3rball January 9, 2008 03:35 PM

I agree with MpG. You can always play the "waiting for the next tech" game till the day you kick the bucket. Might as well enjoy yourself now, no?

way January 9, 2008 03:49 PM

True,I just wanted to avoid the game of catch up as much as possible.Will dual gpu(not necessarily xfire) only be useful for uber high res gaming,or will it bring up framerate as well on 720p?Oh yeah,Urban Terror(lame name)and Alien Arena are sweet....really!

Supergrover January 9, 2008 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MpG (Post 33962)
My thoughts:
  • At present, DX10 has been supported by cards for over a year, and there still isn't a single game out there that doesn't use DX9.
  • The ones that also support DX10 almost universally use it for high-end settings that most cards aren't capable of running smoothly.
  • Despite many other rumours about them, I've seen no indication that G100/R700/Whatever the hell NVidia and ATI actually call their new architectures will support DX11. Even if they do, they're not expected for at least half a year yet.
  • Conclusion: It's going to be a loooong time before you'll need a DX11 card.
Grab a 8800 GT or an HD3850, you'll do alright. If you got a little money, the 8800GTS and HD3870 will give you a little more performance at slightly less value. If you have some money and patience, there have been rumours that Nvidia's going to be turning out a single card replacement for the 8800 GTX, just slightly below their upcoming dual-PCB card.

Even when DX11 comes out (Windows 7) I think we will see what we are seeing with DX10 . A year after release there is still just a hand full of games and systems that run it. Granted more and more games are DX10 but how many were there in the first 6 months?
By the time DX11 matures to the point that most developers use it a DX10/DX10.1 card will be outdated and underpowered IMO.