Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 16, 2011, 02:39 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default HD 6990 early as second half of feb [Rumor]

After the demolishing news at Christmas time of the delayed card, I've been searching for a while to find a new time to kind of set my eyes towards. Not that I can afford it anyway, but I enjoy seeing the benchmarks

So according to both fudzilla, and softpedia, the HD 6990 should be out for the second half of February, however it may possibly slip into early march (I think that it will be almost mid march before there will be any stock available though). The delay being from the Chinese New Year, which I don't find overly surprising.

Also there are rumors that they are working on a new card with twin barts cores, a change from the cayman cores that are supposed to be used in the HD 6990. From my understanding though wouldn't this just add a more affordable dual gpu card to the lineup?

- adam
Old January 16, 2011, 02:51 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I wonder how it will compare to the Nvidia 580 GTX
Old January 16, 2011, 03:11 PM
F@H

My System Specs

If they are switching from Cayman to Barts its possible because the temps or Power consumption is too high for cayman.
Should be interesting to see what they bring out, and what nVidia responds with. Something tells me though that nVidia has learned from its past and maybe will get their dual GPU card out first.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 16, 2011, 03:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Also there are rumors that they are working on a new card with twin barts cores, a change from the cayman cores that are supposed to be used in the HD 6990. From my understanding though wouldn't this just add a more affordable dual gpu card to the lineup?
Like Soultribunal mentioned, that new card could just be that they cannot fit two caymans on the same card for power management reasons....

There will be only ONE AMD dual GPU card. We all hope it's a dual Cayman. If it's dual Barts, it wont live to the 5970's reputation and longevity...
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 16, 2011, 06:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Evga had deul cores at CES so Nividia defitly in the works.

YouTube - EVGA Shows off New Dual-GPU Video Card at CES 2011 - GeForce GTX 560?

edit EVGA on there own (Not a Nividia )
Old January 17, 2011, 04:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Oh snap, if it is only one dual gpu card, and we use barts core its definitely going to be a disappointment, with all the anticipation build up from the delays. I'm not saying the card will be bad but I don't think in any way will it be able to hold out to the dual gpu nvidia (we all know it's on the way).

maybe i'll have to stop being such a fanboy and just go with nvidia for my next card..
Old January 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

Pictures of the 6990???

Posted on anand's site:

Amd HD 6990 Photo's - AnandTech Forums

Big card! You can see the two x-braces on the back...also, the fan seems to be in the middle...it might just be a prototype with a blank PCB who knows.
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 21, 2011, 08:49 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Pictures of the 6990???

Posted on anand's site:

Amd HD 6990 Photo's - AnandTech Forums

Big card! You can see the two x-braces on the back...also, the fan seems to be in the middle...it might just be a prototype with a blank PCB who knows.

Not sure if thats legit and/or the final version yet. And Ill explain why I think that:

Look at the position of the X-braces on the card. The second GPU core is almost at the very edge of the card, which means the VRMS/GDDR is in between both GPU cores? This means either AMD is breaking from standard and putting in a central fan, which will exhaust the heat of the first GPU core outside the case and exaust the second back into the case. I don't find this very likely, but it is possible.

HOWEVER!!! Upon some further thought, and perhaps my over-optimistic hopes for Antilles, this Could be a legit card with the cores/GDDR configuration as above... but it created as such on purpose due to AMD having (finally?) developped a direct interconnect between the GPUs... OR at very least a way for them both the share the same GDDR.

Food for thought?
Old January 21, 2011, 09:27 PM
Banned
F@H

all i can say is that the pcb high rez pictures might make some lol, and others awe :)

from that far looks like a decent es, hell if they slap a sticker on it it could be the final product.

for the love of god, someone implement fan control on unknown cards plz
Old January 22, 2011, 05:25 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

haha they are just trying to build something bigger than the ARES. I wonder which one has more copper in it?