Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Very high in DX9 vs DX10

OLD NEWS but: I was just wondering why Crytek would kneecap the Dx9 version of Crysis by restricting to high settings only. Does this mean other game developers are doing this and is Microsoft behind it?

Seems a great shame to limit the potential of DX9 when it seems such a viable option while they work on DX10.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old January 6, 2008, 10:32 PM
Allstar

Very high makes use of DirectX 10 features which DirectX 9.0c obviously doesn't have. High in Vista is still DX 9.0c to the best of my knowledge ...

A greater concern for me is the fact that the game was released over 2 months ago and still hasn't had a single patch released for it. My brother cannot play full screen on his computer (has to play in Windowed mode), which is absolutely retarded ...
Old January 6, 2008, 10:46 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Very high makes use of DirectX 10 features which DirectX 9.0c obviously doesn't have. High in Vista is still DX 9.0c to the best of my knowledge ...

A greater concern for me is the fact that the game was released over 2 months ago and still hasn't had a single patch released for it. My brother cannot play full screen on his computer (has to play in Windowed mode), which is absolutely retarded ...
You can use very high settings with DX 9 with the texture replacment "hack" I think thats what he is talking about.

If you can just replace very high with high textures and be able to use them in game and get the same Icandy as you would if you did it the normal way by getting a DX10 card and using vista. Whats the real point of DX 10 are other games doing the same thing

am I wrong?
Old January 6, 2008, 11:24 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default yep i mean the hack

Yes a simple hack unlocked a very high level of detail in crysis that makes it pretty close to DX10.

Just seems wrong to limit the potential like this.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old January 6, 2008, 11:53 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
Yes a simple hack unlocked a very high level of detail in crysis that makes it pretty close to DX10.

Just seems wrong to limit the potential like this.
HAH! To a gamer it does, to a company it does not.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:38 PM
Rookie

Ideally a gaming company would have the best interests of the gamer at the heart of their business practice, over time people notice this and reward them with support.Some companies bow to pressure(incentives) just to get their game known and out the door.Why not open up your product potential to the biggest audience(full dx9 that is)?It would be interesting to hear a Crytek employee comment on this,doubtful.Who knows maybe the coming patches will resolve things a bit.
Old January 7, 2008, 01:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by way View Post
Ideally a gaming company would have the best interests of the gamer at the heart of their business practice, over time people notice this and reward them with support.Some companies bow to pressure(incentives) just to get their game known and out the door.Why not open up your product potential to the biggest audience(full dx9 that is)?It would be interesting to hear a Crytek employee comment on this,doubtful.Who knows maybe the coming patches will resolve things a bit.
When a company has you by the balls and tells you "screw the gamers you do it our way or you'll lose your contract" who do you think will win? Yes the company who has you by the balls and thats exactly what has happened.

DX10 was supposed to be a Vista only feature and the fact you could get "close" to the same performance from DX9 through a very simply hack made people go "OH MY!" because that is what was supposed to make Vista sell DX10.
Old January 7, 2008, 02:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Yes limiting the DX9 detail on Crysis is a pretty blatant attempt at trying to sell more Vista. DX10 has yet to show anything really impressive over DX9. Ya there is a small difference but it comes with a performance hit as well. You lose frames just because you are on Vista :\ So what's the point?

Show me groundbreaking, mouth dropping awesomeness that I just won't get in DX9 and then I'll be impressed. Until then... pffft, DX10 is a scam.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old January 7, 2008, 02:06 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thund3rball View Post
Yes limiting the DX9 detail on Crysis is a pretty blatant attempt at trying to sell more Vista. DX10 has yet to show anything really impressive over DX9. Ya there is a small difference but it comes with a performance hit as well. You lose frames just because you are on Vista :\ So what's the point?

Show me groundbreaking, mouth dropping awesomeness that I just won't get in DX9 and then I'll be impressed. Until then... pffft, DX10 is a scam.
Exactly and if something is gonna cripple sales of Vista you can bet money on the fact Microsoft is gonna send notices out very quietly to fix that very quickly.
Old January 7, 2008, 02:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Ya I hope they don't figure a better way to cripple DX9 in future games just to make DX10 seem better? Or worse... eliminate DX9 all together . Will happen one day I am sure but better not happen prematurely just to sell more Vista. That would be a major snafu IMHO.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE