Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2011, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
For all intents and purposes, Bulldozer was designed to compete against last year's higher end Nehalem CPUs (920, 950, etc) and will likely do so in some benchmarks. Whether or not it can pull ahead is anyone's guess but AMD did learn quite a bit from Magny Cours so let's hope some of those lessons were the reason for Bulldozer's delay.
Well, yes. Exactly like the HD6970 was targeting the GTX480 instead of the 580...so, as a result, it competes with the 570...

Quote:
At this point, AMD doesn't want to dilute the Llano launch by releasing too much info about Bulldozer. That makes sense to me since in my opinion, Llano's possilities and potential capabilities make it MUCH more exciting than Bulldozer.
Good point, I had the same thought...they didn't want to loose momentum...

Anyway, AMD MISSED an awesome opportunity to get their CPU out around SB's launch...
It's like being late to a job interview...DON'T BE SURPRISED IF YOU DON'T SUCCEED AMD!!!!!!

In my world, it's called p1$$ poor planning. Or lack of capability.

SAD, I loved my S754 A64 3400+ 1 mo cache/X800PRO AGP rig...it was great when it came out....just when DOOM3 came out!!!

Now, my 2 years old Q9550 OCed is almost as good as the latest AMD CPUs....

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old January 12, 2011, 04:43 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
At this point, AMD doesn't want to dilute the Llano launch by releasing too much info about Bulldozer. That makes sense to me since in my opinion, Llano's possilities and potential capabilities make it MUCH more exciting than Bulldozer.
I think that's why AMD has kept quiet about Bulldozer. A lot of enthusiasts think it's because BD has nothing to show for itself, but I feel they're missing the big picture: mobility.

After AMD's abysmal show in the mobile arena, from selling off their smartphone operations, to disavowing netbooks in 2008, they're probably keen to really get into the mobile fray to make up for lost ground. Especially with VIA's dual core 'Nano' debut and nVidia's 'Denver' showing promise, getting as much mileage out of Llano is imperative.
Old January 12, 2011, 04:51 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Apparently the title of this thread magically turned into "Crap on AMD". Nice guys. Real Nice.

Mods. Close this thread at the Request of the OP? (Me) I'd rather not see it again.
Old January 12, 2011, 05:17 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No one is crapping on AMD from what I see. Seems to be a pretty civil discussion, no?
Old January 12, 2011, 05:20 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DokkRokken View Post
After AMD's abysmal show in the mobile arena...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
DON'T BE SURPRISED IF YOU DON'T SUCCEED AMD!!!!!!

In my world, it's called p1$$ poor planning. Or lack of capability.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern88 View Post
AMD=EPIC FAIL
Im not saying any more. Please close this thread.
Old January 12, 2011, 05:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Dropping Xilleon and Imageon were bad ideas, even if the decisions were ultimately decided by shareholders.

Passing on an Atom competitor, calling netbooks a fad, and handing the netbook and 'mobile internet device' category to Intel was a bad idea.

I'm not out to drag AMD through the mud. Others might be saying 'OMG AMD IS TEH SUXORRXXZ,' but I'm only pointing out the bad decisions they made. And subsequently, it's my reasoning that they're really marketing Llano, instead of Bulldozer because mobile platforms are the future.

While Bulldozer is indeed exciting, I'd rather AMD get their mobile platform down; if that means delaying Bulldozer, so be it, because in reality, the only people who care so much about Sandy Bridge and/or Bulldozer are enthusiasts, who constitute a mere sliver of the market. Get the server, and consumer-grade stuff rolling first. So a bunch of nerds are saying 'LOLOLOL SANDY BRIDGE IS TEH WIN.' Big whoop.

I want AMD to succeed. But I want them to succeed where it counts. Intel fanboys and AMD fanboys spend more time arguing ad-hominem than they actually spend buying components, anyways.
Old January 12, 2011, 07:12 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

It really depends on how you look at it. From my understanding, AMD felt they needed to concentrate on their core business which at the time included evolving the Phenom platform into Phenom II and continuing with Llano, etc. In hindsight, it was an absolutely bad idea but it didn't mean much for Bulldozer.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It's not that I hate AMD. I had a lot of past PC's with their CPU's. But they have just flat lined. They need a shot of ethanol to get the motor restarted. All the have been doing is adding a couple more cores and thinking that would compete against Intel. But it hasn't. I'll give them E for effort. But they are just second rate. And miles behind Intel. Maybe this new CEO will boot them in the pants. Time will tell.
Old January 12, 2011, 08:37 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thread closed at OP's request.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com