Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2011, 10:07 AM
Banned
F@H

that is the one part some people might need clarifying. is it like intel's ht where its not really a core, but something along it or it behaves exactly as just any other core?

because if it goes like that,mr cmet, your quad is an octo, your hexa is a dozen, and your octo is a ..wel...16 core cpu? :)
Old January 12, 2011, 10:13 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Hopefully the AVX extensions in BD will make them more competitive in encoding. Budget CPUs for a HTPC will need to do more and more of this type of work, so AMD needs to get more competitive in this area.

Also liking the fact that finally with the 8xx series chipsets we can have full SSD support.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 12, 2011, 10:15 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Hopefully the AVX extensions in BD will make them more competitive in encoding. Budget CPUs for a HTPC will need to do more and more of this type of work, so AMD needs to get more competitive in this area.

Also liking the fact that finally with the 8xx series chipsets we can have full SSD support.
By that you mean TRIM support? Or am i missing something?
Old January 12, 2011, 10:18 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
The Bold does not agree with the underlined sky. If you want to list facts about why Intel is ahead then sure you can say that Phenom wasn't a success, but only if you also acknowledge the fact that Intel used frankly criminal tactics to get where they are today financially. So yeah, Bulldozer is late, being screwed out of millions of dollars probably didn't help the R&D process much did it?

And AMD dropped the ball when it came to a lot of their developments. They are both things that happen in the corporate world. SKY's point along with a few others is AMD isn't a bed of roses and they have been in part the reason for this backlog.

In tune you are posting in a double standard, because you stated prior to talk about speculation but in the interm all you are doing is posting about Intels buisness tactics.
We are all aware of what happened, much like how nVidia too finally won a big lawsuit because of its exclusion into the chipset on all of Intels latest platforms.

This thread is in rumor mill for a reason, you wanted speculation, well the only way to speculate performance is to compare for us. And to do so we have to bring in their only other competition.
So that leads us to this point.

Now, lets keep the threads in Line (because some posts are border) and let us talk rationally about this.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 12, 2011, 10:21 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
By that you mean TRIM support? Or am i missing something?
Yup TRIM exactly. I built a gaming system for my little nephew recently and I had a SSD in mind, and did not want him to have to mess with ITGC and all that stuff. Same thing went for my dad when I upgraded his, so I went with an older P35-ICH9R board.
Fold for team #54196
Old January 12, 2011, 10:23 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Yup TRIM exactly. I built a gaming system for my little nephew recently and I had a SSD in mind, and did not want him to have to mess with ITGC and all that stuff. Same thing went for my dad when I upgraded his, so I went with an older P35-ICH9R board.
Its truely a shame that they took this long to integrate that into the chipsets.
I hear you on that Chrisk,

I opted to not put my Force into my AMD Rig because SF has a really lame ITGC (unlike the kingston drives I've used) which if I forget to do the maintaince (Tony-Trim, FFS) will bog down the SSD.

Now if only they offered SLI support in BD I would be one happy camper. I love the X6 i've got, but I run the i7 because of my affinity to nVidia GPU's (Folding).

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old January 12, 2011, 11:07 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
The Bold does not agree with the underlined sky. If you want to list facts about why Intel is ahead then sure you can say that Phenom wasn't a success, but only if you also acknowledge the fact that Intel used frankly criminal tactics to get where they are today financially. So yeah, Bulldozer is late, being screwed out of millions of dollars probably didn't help the R&D process much did it?
AS I have said many times in this thread, we are talking about BD and its possible performance versus the competition here. Hence the speculative nature of this thread. So IMO the whole "Intel did illegal things" remark only serves to lead the conversation away from the ON TOPIC points I made before: that Bulldozer is late and thus won't compete directly against Intel's mid to end of year high end processors.

This means two things: that consumers MAY have some serious competition at more affordable price points and that AMD needs to get this thing out ASAP.

For all intents and purposes, Bulldozer was designed to compete against last year's higher end Nehalem CPUs (920, 950, etc) and will likely do so in some benchmarks. Whether or not it can pull ahead is anyone's guess but AMD did learn quite a bit from Magny Cours so let's hope some of those lessons were the reason for Bulldozer's delay.
Old January 12, 2011, 12:01 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Like I said. AMD hasn't released any official info on BD since NOV. I do believe. Why haven't they given anything else about it. I think it is far off from release. Who knows. Maybe when they saw how good intels entry level SB performed. They started scratching their heads and said " Dang it. We can't come close to matching SB." and are scrambling to get more performance. Who know's since they won't throw us a bone when it will be released or anything. AMD=EPIC FAIL
Old January 12, 2011, 01:10 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

At this point, AMD doesn't want to dilute the Llano launch by releasing too much info about Bulldozer. That makes sense to me since in my opinion, Llano's possilities and potential capabilities make it MUCH more exciting than Bulldozer.
Old January 12, 2011, 03:15 PM
Banned
F@H

lano's coming to desktop as well right?

maybe make some sales in the next month or two before dozer hits?