Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 11, 2011, 07:13 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
...unless of course Apple succumbs to the networks current rebranding insanity, whereby 3G+ is now 4G, but I would be surprised.
The basis for what I think 4Gs or 4S or 4-2 or something along those lines is because apple is there to reap profits.

If they release an iPhone4 in white, then 2 months later an iPhone5 they are losing out on a lot of potential profits.
Old March 11, 2011, 07:37 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellplanman View Post
If they release an iPhone4 in white, then 2 months later an iPhone5 they are losing out on a lot of potential profits.
Not really. Logically, since they have been making them for a while, Apple can reap more profits out of selling an iPhone 4 now than they will with an iPhone 5 at launch, since that newer hardware will be more expensive but will still have to be sold at the same price point (give or take).

Apple might simply release a white iPhone 4 because of the fact that the iPhone 4 line will be replacing the 3GS as the 'cheap models, so might as well have a little diversity to suit different tastes.
Old March 11, 2011, 07:43 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Not really. Logically, since they have been making them for a while, Apple can reap more profits out of selling an iPhone 4 now than they will with an iPhone 5 at launch, since that newer hardware will be more expensive but will still have to be sold at the same price point (give or take).

Apple might simply release a white iPhone 4 because of the fact that the iPhone 4 line will be replacing the 3GS as the 'cheap models, so might as well have a little diversity to suit different tastes.
from what I remember Apple takes the phones that are returned and uses the memory and a few other pieces for making the latest phone

ie: 3GS gets returned, they use some of the parts to make the iPhone4.

example: When iPhone4 came out in 16GB and 32GB, the CDN providers stopped selling 16GB and 32GB 3GS iPhones. They started selling 8GB 3GS iphones which were made from 3G returns.

Same thing will happen with the iPhone4. We will be getting an iPhone4 8GB when the iPhone5 comes out
Old March 11, 2011, 07:47 PM
Allstar
F@H

iOS 4.3 was ripped apart by those who were interested in finding out some stuff, the N94 kernel file (N94 is the code name for the next gen iPhone) was listed with a dual core A5 processor (S5L8940). Looks interesting and is enough to keep me from upgrading to the 4 in April when I'm eligible for the new hardware deal through Rogers.
Attached Images

A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown
Old March 11, 2011, 07:53 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neolithium_Wpg View Post
iOS 4.3 was ripped apart by those who were interested in finding out some stuff, the N94 kernel file (N94 is the code name for the next gen iPhone) was listed with a dual core A5 processor (S5L8940). Looks interesting and is enough to keep me from upgrading to the 4 in April when I'm eligible for the new hardware deal through Rogers.
Gese thats crazy. Can you send me a link to where you found this?

Also, when the iPhone4 was released, people who had upgraded prior to the official press release were still able to get hardware upgrades (at the 399 price instead of 159). Still have some solid resale value on that if you are into that
Old March 11, 2011, 07:53 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellplanman View Post
from what I remember Apple takes the phones that are returned and uses the memory and a few other pieces for making the latest phone

ie: 3GS gets returned, they use some of the parts to make the iPhone4.

example: When iPhone4 came out in 16GB and 32GB, the CDN providers stopped selling 16GB and 32GB 3GS iPhones. They started selling 8GB 3GS iphones which were made from 3G returns.

Same thing will happen with the iPhone4. We will be getting an iPhone4 8GB when the iPhone5 comes out
I would love to know where you heard that from since it doesn't seem economically feasible at all.

As far as I know, all iPhone returns just get a new body and new screen covering and then get sold as refurbished.
Old March 11, 2011, 07:55 PM
Rookie

Quote:
I would love to know where you heard that from since it doesn't seem economically feasible at all.

As far as I know, all iPhone returns just get a new body and new screen covering and then get sold as refurbished.
I actually dont remember to be honest. I beleive it was on HoFo, but it was a long time ago

edit: Lets say Apple sells 1,000 iPhone 3G phones, another 1,000 3GS phones, and another 1,000 iPhone 4's

When the 3G breaks (lets say 1), what are the odds of apple reselling it refurbished? People arent really in the market for the 3g anymore....
Old March 12, 2011, 06:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Isn't the A5 processor used in the ipad 2?
Old April 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I read somewhere (I think Tom's Hardware) that the iPhone 4 will be a Fall launch in September 2011. It'll have the A4 chip from the iPad 2, and improved antenna design. 8 MP camera, and will ship with iOS 5.
Old April 20, 2011, 05:55 PM
Allstar
F@H

Unfortunately I have no desire to get the iPhone 4 or next revision, just feel like a change and want something different so I'm hopping on board the Android bandwagon. The nice prices of the unlocked Android phones make them ridiculously tempting as well.
A Veteran, whether Regular Force, Reserve or Retired- is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank cheque made payable to the Dominion of Canada for an amount of "Up to and including my life"
-Author Unknown