Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2010, 01:01 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hrmmmm.... I love rumours..... an 8 core AM3 chip just might get me to pull out my CC. I'd love to be able to run bigadv without having to delve into a gray area WRT the client EULA. ;)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old December 4, 2010, 01:14 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Actually, another possible idea to wet everyone's appetites? A quad-core Phenom II base processor with two or more "Bobcat" APUs. The bobcat cores have been out for a little while, so it is within the realm of possibility.
The AMD Fusion platform leads us to believe that this is where theyre going for sure, so why not start sooner rather than later? (Maybe it's wishful thinking) How would it work? Think of having all 6 (or 8 cores, if there are 4 APU cores) available for regular multi-threaded applications, the APUs take care of all flash decoding, etc instead of passing it to the GPU. But when gaming, instead of stepping the APUs down to 800mhz like a regular core, theyre completely turned off and the extra TDP headroom is used to further boost the performance of the regular 4 cores.

Ahhh to dream, lol.
Old December 4, 2010, 01:41 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by matsta31 View Post
dan, care to elaborate ?
well, from what i read so far a fully fledged dozer will not see am3. fully fledged is the catch phrase here ;)

and as for the server business,well, lets say es or not es chips have been around, i hear ahem ahem. im not gonna shell 500 bucks+300 for special psu plus god knows how much for ram just to run it.

dont expect a tiny lil cpu either :D

i remember getting on the a64 back in the day,was cursng for the lack of agp haha. man that was cheap compared to nowadays :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Actually, another possible idea to wet everyone's appetites? A quad-core Phenom II base processor with two or more "Bobcat" APUs. The bobcat cores have been out for a little while, so it is within the realm of possibility.
The AMD Fusion platform leads us to believe that this is where theyre going for sure, so why not start sooner rather than later? (Maybe it's wishful thinking) How would it work? Think of having all 6 (or 8 cores, if there are 4 APU cores) available for regular multi-threaded applications, the APUs take care of all flash decoding, etc instead of passing it to the GPU. But when gaming, instead of stepping the APUs down to 800mhz like a regular core, theyre completely turned off and the extra TDP headroom is used to further boost the performance of the regular 4 cores.

Ahhh to dream, lol.

ive heard of 8 cores, and we apparently were supposed to get them in am3 but didnt because...?
Old December 4, 2010, 01:46 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Agreed Dangtx, it won't be a "real" bulldozer because the bulldozer cores are not yet ready. But I see no reason why current-gen Phenom II cores couldn't be paired with a few Bobcat APUs either. haha
Old December 4, 2010, 02:23 PM
Banned
F@H

well no they're are ready but from what i hear not for am3. trouble is preproduction board with subpar bios + es chip = the sux :D
Old December 4, 2010, 02:37 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

New socket/ package / bord change

what ram is LINUS playing with DDR3 ?

EDIT: YouTube - AMD CPU Evolution - A History Lesson About AMD's Best Technology (NCIX Tech Tips #86)

Last edited by ZZLEE; December 4, 2010 at 02:44 PM.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:43 PM
Banned
F@H

i think dominator gt's 1866. so his chips are am3 for sure, unless the backward compatibility thingie is there ,...actually put it thisway.

since that board IS am3 for sure, then we know the new cpus may be toned down dozers or maybe be not.

Desktop Bulldozer Processors Will Require New Platforms - AMD - X-bit labs

"Apparently, it was possible for AMD to make Bulldozer microprocessors compatible with existing AM3 infrastructure, but in order to do that, the company would have to sacrifice certain important features of the new core.
"

so perhaps someone decided it was cool to sell a few more chips to people with existing am3 boards?

"

"When we initially set out on the path to Bulldozer we were hoping for AM3 compatibility, but further along the process we realized that we had a choice to make based on some of the features that we wanted to bring with Bulldozer. We could either provide AM3 support and lose some of the capabilities of the new Bulldozer architecture or, we could choose the AM3+ socket which would allow the Bulldozer-base Zambezi to have greater performance and capability," the official said.
"
Old December 4, 2010, 02:47 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Let's go through this and dispense with the run around.

It isn't "new" per se.

You will see a review here on HWC.

One of the main things we all have to remember is that Bulldozer IS NOT ready. What AMD is focusing upon right now is sharpening their lineup in an effort to somehow head off Intel's Sandy Bridge architecture. This means additional speed bins and the lowering of some prices. Nothing more.
Old December 4, 2010, 02:48 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Let's go through this and dispense with the run around.

It isn't "new" per se.

You will see a review here on HWC.

One of the main things we all have to remember is that Bulldozer IS NOT ready. What AMD is focusing upon right now is sharpening their lineup in an effort to somehow head off Intel's Sandy Bridge architecture. This means additional speed bins and the lowering of some prices. Nothing more.

Trust SKY to ruin all our hopes...
Old December 4, 2010, 02:53 PM
Banned
F@H

meh, i guess same old 6 ahem cores. any chance you could fiddle with and make a bud from the server section at amd? at least that would give us an idea of the new chippies,coming straight from you not from me who likes to stare at a bare chippie or two :D

btw sky, hows the gtx 570 review coming up?? hope they sent you the parts in time.