Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 7, 2010, 03:38 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Maybe I am missing something but squirrel cage blowers don't work like that. Blowers don't pull air from one side and through it out the sides. It needs a hole out the side to pull the air in.

If you notice though Lowfat, the fan blades are hooked a bit , so it actually gas some merit. And with the blades coming so close to a side wall on the bottom part it will help the system work as well.

Looks good.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 7, 2010, 06:04 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzn4evr View Post
Better have a good case intake fan pulling in LOTS of cool air for that Xfire setup.
Actually, this method will work far better for an Xfire setup, since neither card will be fighting the other for air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltron 3030 View Post
i question this design. with the fan after the heatsink, adding dust to the equation will not be a good result. sure, a good spray of compressed air will help getting most of it out, but what if ou get that caked on stuff?
I'd MUCH rather have dust on the fins of a heatsink than on every single blade of a blower fan (which is dam near impossible to clean btw).

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_metal_88 View Post
Damn this is nice and looking sweet but, if the fan is hidden like that won't it be noisier? Let wait for the real one and see what AMD can give us:)
I agree that we should wait, but also having the fan in the "middle" like this should help block some of the noise, rather than amplify it, which should allow it to run harder to keep the dual GPUs cool. This is all just guesswork for now though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Maybe I am missing something but squirrel cage blowers don't work like that. Blowers don't pull air from one side and through it out the sides. It needs a hole out the side to pull the air in.
Such fans can work in any direction really, some even use a 90 degree turn and still work (like some vaccums and industrial ventilation systems). I see no reason why this wouldnt work.
Old November 7, 2010, 06:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I agree that we should wait, but also having the fan in the "middle" like this should help block some of the noise, rather than amplify it, which should allow it to run harder to keep the dual GPUs cool. This is all just guesswork for now though...
H was not talking about noise from the fan itself but sincehe suck air turbulence could be an issue. But well, as we both agree, only time will tell us. Maybe AMD have a design that will blow our head with this ( if it's true for sure )

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old November 7, 2010, 06:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As per the video: "GPU Cooling and Design by Daniel1z" so obviously just a designer's ideas on what it could look like. Surely an interesting concept, but unlikely what ATI/AMD will be using.

Same things are done with concept vehicles for various brands. Artists that are not associated with the company will produce various designs/ideas that they consider fitting to that company.
Old November 7, 2010, 09:24 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Well, it sure is sexy that's for sure. Interesting concept.
Old November 7, 2010, 10:19 PM
Banned
F@H

+ you wont risk getting something in the fan and borking/stopping it anymore :) again, i think two will do better on a big dual card like that
Old November 8, 2010, 04:45 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
+ you wont risk getting something in the fan and borking/stopping it anymore :) again, i think two will do better on a big dual card like that
That's not possible: a 5970 is already a foot long and cant fit in some cases - there is no room for two fans and sufficiently large heatsinks to allow for two fans unless they make it a 3 slot card or (something I'd like to see) a taller card. Time will tell though....
Old November 8, 2010, 05:28 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Actually CM, they could put a Cross Blower VS what you see in the pictures there and that would provide enough room to probably put two in safely.

That being said, it is doubtful they will ever go that route.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com