Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 4, 2007, 02:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default PC World Says Mac > PC - WTF?

(Didn't know where else to post this?)

Ok just to get this straight I am not being a fanboy I am legitimately confused by the scores and claims of PC World's Top Ten Performance Notebooks.

PC World published an article about how the new Macbook Pro was the fastest machine out there to run Vista. Ok fair enough, might be true. Don't really know about that since I can't find any actual Vista benches (If you know where they are link me). But the WorkBench tests that they run on the machines show many of the PC notebooks beating the Macbook Pro. Even when the PC notebooks are clearly inferior machines hardware wise? And the PC machines are also less expensive, lighter, smaller etc...

You be the judge. Any thoughts welcome :)

The Article
PC World - Apple MacBook Pro

The Top Ten
PC World - Chart - Top 10 Power Laptops

Top 3 Side by Side
PC World - PC World

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 4, 2007, 03:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

Clearly a mac user wrote it. I can appreciate mac, but they are NOT the best thing out there.

Teletraan I: Asus P5K-E/WIFI, E4500, 2 GB RAM, ATI 3450, Sapphire Theatrix, 2.25TB storage, Antec SP2 400w

Galvatron: Asus M2NPV-VM, 3800+ X2, 2GB RAM, NV8500GT, Seasonic 500w

Tracks: Acer AS5920, C2D 2.1ghz 45nm, 3GB DDR2, NV8600m GT, 250gb hdd

Hound: Gigabyte GA-MA74GM-S, AMD 4400+ X2, 1 GB RAM, 2900XT, 500w Seasonic

My Heatware!
| Got RMA? Tell us your experience! | VOIP Help? PM ME!
Old December 4, 2007, 03:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

PC World is teh suxxorz. It doesn't take anything more than common sense to realize that the PC is far superior to the MAC in almost all roles.
Old December 4, 2007, 08:40 PM
Allstar

The Macbook Pro is a nice laptop, that's for sure. That being said, a lot of the gamer laptops would walk all over it ...

I also find it quite humourous that the 3rd place Acer beat it in almost every test, had more/better features, had higher ratings in reliability and service, and cost $1000 less ($1800+ in reality), yet it's inferior because ... ?

Humourous number 2, they're using a custom-made Macbook Pro for their comparisons w/ 4 GB of RAM and high-resolution screen which costs $3599 USD on their website (apple.com), yet they list the price as $2949.
Old December 5, 2007, 12:22 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Exactly Jmac... If this isn't a complete and utter sell-out to Apple, so Apple could put a commercial on TV, claiming it's Notebook is the fastest Vista machine out there then I'll eat my AS5!

I also read that PC World fired one of their writers this year (IIRC) for much the same reason that the Gamespot writer is rumoured to have been fired. Well it's good to know capitalism is not dead and every company has their price. Pffft

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old December 5, 2007, 12:29 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I wonder if they know what the word "research" means. Immediately in the first paragraph, they stated that the 8600M is Nvidia's fastest mobile part. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 8800M faster than the 8600M?
I wonder what else they got wrong if they didn't manage to get that basic fact right...
Or maybe PC World is trying to woo Apple into buying ad space on the website, and decided to overlook the fact that it performed worse while costing more.
Old December 7, 2007, 02:37 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Looking at the charts it looks like the mac does win most of their benches, and if it doesn't win it's really close. Of course, you throw another 2 gigs of ram in that Acer and it would be really close, for 1/2 the price.
Old December 7, 2007, 09:20 PM
MVP

There's nothing wrong with their tests, the MacBook Pro just happens to have better components than any of the other laptops they tested.

I don't really get all the hatred for Macs, I don't own one, but I use them fairly frequently, they're just PCs, except with the ability to run Mac OS instead of the ability to customize or upgrade hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rommelrommel View Post
Looking at the charts it looks like the mac does win most of their benches, and if it doesn't win it's really close. Of course, you throw another 2 gigs of ram in that Acer and it would be really close, for 1/2 the price.
Except the Acer CPU is 400 MHz slower, and the screen is only 1280x800 instead of 1920x1200. Apple laptops are generally competitive with other brands pricewise.
Old December 8, 2007, 09:07 AM
Top Prospect

I agree that with Mac's new contracts with Nvidia and Intel, they're making much higher quality notebooks now but they are definitely not the best notebook u can get out there.
I own a Macbook myself and its great but I can easily build a dell that can eat it. This is true because you can go build a dell with the exact same specs but with better video cards hard drives and ram (just to be clear I'm not saying go buy a dell, I'm using them as an example).

It just comes down to the fact that better hardware = faster computer which mac just doesn't have the best of. This should be known by any person testing a computer which means that whoever wrote that article was either payed off, extremely bias or just compared it to a lot of crappy laptops.

Last edited by ineedaname; December 8, 2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old December 8, 2007, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

Default Macs

"PCs Are For Fart-Huffers and Macs Get You Laid!"