Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/)
-   -   Gamespot Editor Fired (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/rumor-mill/3496-gamespot-editor-fired.html)

MpG November 30, 2007 07:49 PM

Gamespot Editor Fired

THIS has been bouncing around suddenly. Would have put it in the 'Games' section, but things are still unclear at this time, IMO.

Looks like Jeff Gerstmann of Gamespot was fired, shortly after the posting of a rather negative review (6/10) and video of the game "Kain & Lynch: Dead Men". The fact that Eidos blitzed the website with advertising for this game at the same time, and that the video has since been removed makes it all rather suspicious.

Needless to say, speculation is running rampant. When you see forums and blogs posting stuff like this -
Quote:

From a GS editor, anonymous of course: What you might not be aware of is that GS is well known for appealing mostly to hardcore gamers. The mucky-mucks have been doing a lot of "brand research" over the last year or so and indicating that they want to reach out to more casual gamers. Our last executive editor, Greg Kasavin, left to go to EA, and he was replaced by a suit, Josh Larson, who had no editorial experience and was only involved on the business side of things. Over the last year there has been an increasing amount of pressure to allow the advertising teams to have more of a say in the editorial process; we've started having to give our sales team heads-ups when a game is getting a low score, for instance, so that they can let the advertisers know that before a review goes up. Other publishers have started giving us notes involving when our reviews can go up; if a game's getting a 9 or above, it can go up early; if not, it'll have to wait until after the game is on the shelves.
I was in the meeting where Josh Larson was trying to explain this firing and the guy had absolutely no response to any of the criticisms we were sending his way. He kept dodging the question, saying that there were "multiple instances of tone" in the reviews that he hadn't been happy about, but that wasn't Jeff's problem since we all vet every review. He also implied that "AAA" titles deserved more attention when they were being reviewed, which sounded to all of us that he was implying that they should get higher scores, especially since those titles are usually more highly advertised on our site.
I know that it's all about the money, and hey, I like money. I like advertising because it pays my salary. Unfortunately after Kasavin left the church-and-state separation between the sales teams and the editorial team has cracked, and with Jeff's firing I think it's clear that the management now has no interest at all in integrity and are instead looking for an editorial team that will be nicer to the advertisors.
When companies make games as downright contemptible as Kane and Lynch, they deserve to be called on it. I guess you'll have to go to Onion or a smaller site for objective reviews now, because everyone at GS now thinks that if they give a low score to a high-profile game, they'll be[fired]. Everyone's **** scared and we're all hoping to get Josh Larson removed from his position because no one trusts him anymore. If that doesn't happen then look for every game to be Game of the Year material at GameSpot.
Definitely lots of posters claiming that they're cancelling their paid subscriptions on account of this. And to add insult to injury, THIS happens just afterwards... meh.

This could turn into something of a black eye for Gamespot, or it might just blow over. Who knows.

Squeetard November 30, 2007 08:54 PM

I'm not surprised. GS reviews have been for sale for years now.

Digitaldemon November 30, 2007 09:43 PM

This is the norm.. alot of the fluff and bs out there is from the need for cash flow.. a strangle hold on writing and editorial freedom if people.

I look at reviews with tepid trepidation. The crap at toms hardware and favoritism towards certain hardware.. the fluff at hard ocp.. it is everywhere.. yeah I almost believe I am treading on thin ice...

You almost got to have an iron set, to resist the the padding of a site.

Hell I can give an honest review of every game out there, i get and and test them and usually throw them in the corner even though alot of sites are glowing with rehashed crap about it.. e
The same with hardware, I rarely get burned due to personal research, I like this site and have hopes for it.

after 30+ years of deigning building and tweaking computers... I have learned to walk a thin line of reality and fluff... one thing though.. if the reviews are too hot.. the product is not..

SKYMTL November 30, 2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitaldemon (Post 28316)
if the reviews are too hot.. the product is not..

I don't know about that one. I gave the 8800GT a pretty glowing review...and it gets hot as hell.

Well, at least the GPU core does. :whistle::ph34r:

Digitaldemon November 30, 2007 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SKYMTL (Post 28321)
I don't know about that one. I gave the 8800GT a pretty glowing review...and it gets hot as hell.

Well, at least the GPU core does. :whistle::ph34r:

Nah I read your review..... it was informative.. concise. I have an XFX 8800GT, which is in my gf's pc.. yeah like I am gonna give up a gtx.

One thing we noticed is the video playback is jaggy and not that fluid... we have a PX-810SA in her machine.... we tried lord of the rings and a few others and noted the edges and flowing of the video was not right...

might be the software.. or something i did though

..yup something i did.. fixed

qwerty December 1, 2007 08:18 AM

This reminds me of SKY's post a little while back about the corruption in the hardware review industry, that's what is has become after all, an industry. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what industry, item or other consumer product is being reviewed those with money will always try to extort influence on those who want some of it.

I seriously doubt that this chap will be out of work for long and probably already has had offers for his services.

Some people still value integrity, and honesty while for others they seem to be just buzzwords.

This whole debacle stinks. I am sure that if and when GS makes a public announcement, and the more heat they feel from members over this they will have to, it will go something like this...This guys dismissal had nothing at all to do with any particular review but instead had more to do with other circumstances that will not be made public...yea sure GS that must be it. It couldn't have to do with companies threat to pull all there ads worth whatever...heavens no couldn't be...

Companies must think that we as consumers are all idiots and will believe whatever some outfit tells us.

Whenever I am shopping for something I always read more then one review, then I'll read a couple more and when I have made a decision and am ready to commit I'll read a few more just to be sure, I suggest you all do the same or I suspect most do.

What really irks me more then anything else is the lack of respect that 'some' companies have for our dollars. Most of us had to work for the money to buy things and work damned hard for it. How dare they not show us the same proper respect, honesty and integrity we showed, hopefully, while earning it...

MpG December 2, 2007 04:54 AM

I can't help but think that GS just got unlucky enough to have a few attentive readers start up a sh*tstorm over it, which snowballed into the present situation.

For all we know, 9 times out of 10, the dismissal and the circumstances surrounding it goes unnoticed by the internet community at large.

Thund3rball December 2, 2007 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 28367)

What really irks me more then anything else is the lack of respect that 'some' companies have for our dollars. Most of us had to work for the money to buy things and work damned hard for it. How dare they not show us the same proper respect, honesty and integrity we showed, hopefully, while earning it...

uhm... respect for our dollars? It's no secret that big business is just that, business. Caveat emptor (Buyer beware) remember that from high school Consumer Ed? I see that you are a very careful shopper but the reality is many people are not. In fact the majority are not. And one of the largest, if not the largest, demographic of consumers in the world right now are not even in high school yet. Think about that.

I work for a mid/large manufacturer that sells the most expensive products in their industry. Is it because they are the best products compared to our competitors? No not at all. It's all about perception, positioning and separating you from as much of your money as possible with the least amount of effort needed. Sad but true.

Anyways good for the GS guy to not give in to the BS and too bad he got axed. My bet is he's going to be happier for it in the long run though.

Mr. Cipher December 2, 2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty (Post 28367)

Companies must think that we as consumers are all idiots and will believe whatever some outfit tells us.

The problem is that for a good percentage of consumers, that is the case. It's often too much work to go beyond the surface for them.

That being said, I'm sure there are a lot of people who want to see beyond the fluff but are unsure of how to or where to go.

I for one am pretty impressed with HWC's commitment to report positive and negative aspects on their hardware reviews, which was one of my main draws to the site in the first place.

The whole incident is unfortunate, but expected. It happens almost everywhere now - whoever has the money has the control to the detriment of the consumers and the less than decent products they often get peddled.

At least the incident highlighted the fact that fundamentals do matter - if you make a good product, you're set. And if you (indirectly) pay people off because you control their salaries and want to make sales despite having a less than stellar product...well it will eventually come out.

NuxTux December 8, 2007 10:00 AM

Reply to Thread

Does anyone remember the TV show Gamers? I remember watching an ep when it was reviewing a walt disney game and the girl with the pink hair said I giving this game a 5 out of 5 Gs, then in a whisper she said "it's one of our sponsor" :haha: