Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 25, 2010, 03:47 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Primochill Typhoon IV

I posted a little while back about the Typhoon III being discontinued, but also included a tidbit about the upcoming Typhoon IV which is a Delrin reservoir instead of acrylic with some other (unspecified) optimizations. I got this email from Primochill support today:

Quote:

Brad,
We have received word that we should have the first production sample of the reservoir on Tuesday of next week. Once inspected and quality checked we will release the product to market. We will update again once we receive word that it has passed quality check. Have a great weekend.
Best Regards,

Melissa
Customer Support

So it looks like next week there could be some
actual news on the successor to the much maligned Typhoon III!

I will post any updates I receive.

Old June 25, 2010, 08:55 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Once inspected and quality checked we will release the product to market.

so inspection and quality control is just something they have discovered now??

and if this product fails les miserable like its predecessor,who will they blame this time??
anyone who buys this deserves it
Old June 26, 2010, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtf2 View Post
Once inspected and quality checked we will release the product to market.

so inspection and quality control is just something they have discovered now??

and if this product fails les miserable like its predecessor,who will they blame this time??
anyone who buys this deserves it
Just like that god-aweful T3
Old July 7, 2010, 09:12 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Wasn't there asketchy review on the predecessor.
I don't watercool, but I remember a crapload of veteran users getting ban when they called hoaxes.
Old July 20, 2010, 12:55 PM
Rookie

Looks like it failed the quality check.

Also got some news:

Quote:
Just wanted to update you with the latest news. We have made the final revisions to the T4 mold and are waiting for them to be corrected. However we will not have a final ETA until the end of the month. Because of this additional delay, Management has decided to do a special edition product run for the handful of people (such as yourself) that have been waiting for so long. The reservoir you will be receiving has all the new features of the T4 as well as past functionality of the T3 including the mount of the D5 and dual inlet/dual outlet feature. These reservoirs will not be avaiable to the general public because they are a completely hand machined part. We are willing to incur the extra cost involved for those of you that have had to wait for so long, who have remained patient, and who continue to support us. We expect to have these reservoirs in our hands no later than August 2nd. As always, I will keep you updated as I receive the information.
I had thought the T4 was going to be a better version of the T3. Either we got tricked and the whole time it was just like any other reservoir, or they realized it was too difficult to make the T4 and changed the design completely, making only real T4's for those of us with defective T3's.

Oh, and this is my first post, yay! Native from OCN here, but Canadian all the way.
Old July 20, 2010, 01:03 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

It looks like some people are being compensated with an exclusive hand-made model, just for being patient!

I'm interested to see this thing, mainly because I'm not paying for it.

Old July 20, 2010, 01:44 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Dang. Just bit the bullet on an XSPC dual-bay D5 reservoir too. If they're not going mass-market with the T4 then I guess I have nothing to worry about...

...I wonder how much those hand-made ones are gonna go for?

---
Bob - Core i3 530 | Gigabyte H55N-USB3 | 4GB DDR3 | Corsair H50 w/ TFC Triebwerk | Silverstone SG06
Old August 6, 2010, 08:24 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Brad,
We have received word that the reservoirs are complete and shipping today. We should have them by Friday. I am hoping to have pictures to post of the reservoir for you then! Also, one last hiccup, we are waiting on information regarding the new mounting brackets.They should be complete August 16. Almost there!
Best Regards,

Melissa
Customer Support

Sounds like there may be some pics available today! I'll post them if I get any.
Old August 10, 2010, 12:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I received some pics today!

They have asked that I do not redistribute, and for now I'm going to abide by their wishes... a quick google search shows that this is one of the top threads even mentioning a Typhoon IV, so its easily traceable back to me.

If they leak anywhere else, I'll gladly link to them.

Anyways, if you have questions about the design please let me know. It looks like they've corrected all of the issues I had with the T3, but may have introduced some new ones.

The good:

The body is delrin/acetal now. No more acrylic and no more ugly joint either! Its a 2-piece body but it is screwed together now, presumably with an o-ring seal. The face is still acrylic, but the look is very clean.

They have added slots in the side of the body to accommodate 5-1/4 optical drive rails, so there should be no need to modify cases to fit these in.

The pump is now centrally mounted in the back, with the inlet/outlet ports at the 4 corners. There are still 2-inlets 2-outlets, so it will be dual-loop compatible again.

The pump mount is now cast into the back plate, and uses a retention system similar to the stock D5 top. Its just a large screw-on ring. (The pictures show it comes with a retention ring, so it does not use the stock hold-down at all).

The bad/unknown:

The pictures provided do not show any fill/drain ports. The front face is just a solid acrylic panel in the pictures, and there are no ports shown on the top either.

The mounting system for installing the reservoir in the case is not shown. (should have more info on this by next week)

Its tough to say for sure, but simply looking at the pictures the outlet design looks to be more restrictive than the T3, so it will be interesting to see how that effects performance.

Heres the email for reference:
Quote:
Brad,
We have pictures! Please see the links below. Please DO NOT REDISTRIBUTE. This means posting in forums or showing this to the public. This product has NOT been officially released!

** LINKS REMOVED **

As far our last hiccup, we are still on track to have the brackets here by the week of August 16.
Best Regards,

Melissa
Customer Support

Old August 18, 2010, 08:46 AM
Rookie

Default Same thing on Typhoon IV

Yeah.. I got the same couple e-mail's and the link to the pictures... I also noticed no fill ports and stuff and I e-mail'ed asking them about this and how one is supposed to fill the Typhoon IV.... I haven't gotten any response back in a couple of days, and also asked for an update on if they were still on track to get the mounting brackets this week... the silence and fact they are avoiding returning my e-mail suggests that another snafu may have come up so I'm not holding my breath that we are actually going to get the typhoon IV shipped this week or next, much less any more details..

-Dan