Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 15, 2010, 11:21 AM
Top Prospect

Question ASUS ROG Crosshair IV Extreme

Hey guys & girls

I wondering if anyone here has heard anything more about this particular board as I would so LOVE to have it! Its "little brother" the Crosshair IV Formula is a great board, but it limits you on the graphics configurations to 16/16 or 16/8/8, where as the Extreme would allow 8/8/8/8 as well.

My intentions are to use it for folding @ home, so the more gpu's I can run, the better! I know that when this board was first seen and talked about that ASUS said it was just a concept board, but then there was talk on their official fan page on facebook saying it will soon be released, which has got me excited but since then there isn't any more talk about it. It was the page's founder that made that very comment, so I'm suspecting him or her to possibly be an insider or have an insider contact/s or just be very excited about the board as I am!

Also other reasons why I like this board so much are:

1) 8 SATA ports & 1 E-SATA port - good expandability options for both hard drives and optical drives
2) Lucid Chip - now we can have both ATI & Nvidia gpus' together (politely correct me if I'm wrong)
3) The colour scheme - Black & Red = Very SEXY, especially when compared to say Gigabyte with its annoying Blue/light blue/white colour scheme!

So now I'm putting to all of you, if anyone is interested in this board and wants to find out more, post here so we can get the guys & girls at Hardwarecanucks to find out more for us so we can possibly get ASUS to change their minds and bring this beauty out!

Thanks for reading
Old June 18, 2010, 02:27 PM
Rookie

i'm interested! but hard to judge whether it will be that much different from the crosshair 4 formula I have right now. But it is coming out for sure now!!

Can't wait to see any updates on this lucid hydra chip and how it scales, since it will soon come to motherboards with a lower pricepoint
Old June 18, 2010, 02:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

She is on the way to come;) jsut wait a bit. Some official sneak peak shot have been release on Asus forum so just be patient.

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old June 18, 2010, 08:49 PM
Trial Member

I was waiting for this board as well. But as I understand it, Asus has gone past two "release" dates or should I say two "proposed" release dates. Of course all of this is from da good old rumer mill of da 'Net, so who can be sure. But I would think they'd be ready to let this one go, it's cooked long enough. But I did read that an Asus chief was ready to show off the board at one of the last shows and they was trouble with the Hydra chip and pulled the board. Hydra has bitten several others in the past and maybe it's doing it again. Any how I pased on the Formula and setteled on their step-brother-board the Asus M4A89TD PRO/USB3. Not the first M4A89TD released in April but the last one released into the USA. Please read the specs real close or side-by-side and I thnik you'd agree that it has a lot of the bells & whistles as the Formula and the soon Extreme. The OCing it won't go as far but it will take you places you never been before and save $30 - $50 in the process.
Old June 19, 2010, 02:24 PM
Top Prospect

I'm happy to see some of you do express the same interest in this board as I do

As I said in my original post, the extreme board is different from the formula due to the graphics options, lucid hydra chip and more SATA ports. Even if it didn't offer the lucid hydra chip, I'd still want it due to the other 2 options, but mainly due to the graphics configurations that better suit my proposed usage intentions.

Nice board suggestion there Pop, but I can hold off for now
Old June 22, 2010, 01:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only way this board can stand out is if Hydra actually works this time around. MSI's Big Bang board didn't turn out so well, hurting performance in fact. Lets hope they've revised the firmware and drivers for this beast. I'm really hoping this takes off.
Old September 23, 2010, 03:23 PM
Top Prospect

Well guys & girls, I'm here to update you on the progress of this board. It was announced on Asus's Official Page on Facebook that the board is officially here and it's even announced on the ROG Blog & Forum too!

Check out these links for more details...

Welcome to Republic Of Gamers! - Blog

Crosshair IV Extreme extensive overview

I'm very happy to say at the least that this board is officially here
Old September 23, 2010, 03:31 PM
Banned
F@H

"
The C4E is equipped with a Lucid hydra controller that can run both AMD Crossfire X and Nvidia SLI. In the past you were only able to run single AMD or Nvidia GPU or AMD Crossfire X. With Lucid you are now able to run single, dual or triple SLI configurations. Lucid will also allow you to have a mixed mode. You will be able to mix cards from the same vendor for example; AMD 5870 and 5850 combo or Nvidia GTX480 and GTX460 combo. You also have X mode which will allow you to mix and match Nvidia and AMD cards.
"

wait what? which version, is it actually putting out numbers ot its there for show?
Old September 23, 2010, 03:33 PM
F@H

My System Specs

The proof will be in the pudding when the SLI #s come out. Pretty cool if it works reasonably well though.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old September 23, 2010, 04:38 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Do you guys think this will be good with SLI? I personally don't like ATI cards, and I think Intel CPUs and Motherboards are overpriced.