Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 18, 2007, 03:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Default AMD delays Phenom 2.4 GHz due to TLB errata

I know, I know...it's the Inq... but it makes sense WRT their dropping release speeds, and changing roadmaps. Take a boo
here

Quote:
"The Translation Lookaside Buffer (TLB) errata is an L3 protocol issue causing a system hang when running certain client workload applications independent of platform. AMD is immediately introducing an updated BIOS which will correct the TLB errata".
Old November 18, 2007, 03:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ugh, Here we go....
Old November 18, 2007, 03:49 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

"Some 9500/9600 parts may even be overclocked to 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 3.0 GHz and they will have no problems whatsoever, while some will have this error."

In other words forget Overclocking it ain't gonna work.

Looks like sad days ahead for ALL of us if AMD doesn't get its head out of its arse ASAP (assuming that the Inq isn't BS'ing us...again).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 18, 2007, 03:56 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Well that explains ALOT about some problems that we have been having.
Old November 18, 2007, 03:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
"Some 9500/9600 parts may even be overclocked to 2.6, 2.8, 2.9, 3.0 GHz and they will have no problems whatsoever, while some will have this error."

In other words forget Overclocking it ain't gonna work.

Looks like sad days ahead for ALL of us if AMD doesn't get its head out of its arse ASAP (assuming that the Inq isn't BS'ing us...again).
I don't know if the Inq could be sued for libel/slander if they "made this up".(journalistic freedom? ). What i'm wondering is, if some of the early adoptors/ testers(read:l33t O/cers) got these and started getting freezes after upping the frequency? They would then do the obvious thing, and up vCore.. and still get the freeze/crash. This could lead them to believe that it's just a lousy overclocker, that even voltage won't help...when in fact it may be this "bug".
Old November 18, 2007, 04:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Just give them time

I heard about this a few weeks ago but was not sure whether to believe it.

Intels not due to release the mainstream 45nm till January so they have still got a bit of time to get things together.

I dont know if they will oc "that" well, but then will anything really benefit much from phenoms running much over 3ghz in the next 12 months??

Im sure a 3ghz phenom with groups of ATI cards will be amazing.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 18, 2007, 05:08 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

If AMD could have shipped Quads before Xmas it would have helped immensely with their bottom line / getting back into the good graces of the enthusiast crowd (their historical base of support). Want to bet that Intel will up its release date (limited numbers) on some of the "normal" yorkdales? After all, when you opponent is down is the perfect time to kick 'em in the head.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; November 19, 2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 18, 2007, 05:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default yes

I see. Oh well. I wonder if Intel will behave like gentlemen RE the kick in the head.

GPU: PA120.3|S.Res.rev2|2x EK FC blocks| MCP655.
Old November 19, 2007, 04:59 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
If AMD could have shipped Quads before Xmas it would have helped immensely with their bottom line / getting back into the good graces of the enthusiast crowd (their historical base of support). Want to be that Intel will up its release date (limited numbers) on some of the "normal" yorkdales? After all, when you opponent is down is the perfect time to kick 'em in the head.
Yep...looks like you're right...not with "normal Yorkies", but another Extreme CPU. Intel announces QX9770 which won't be available til Q1 08, and is only "officially" supported by the X48 chipset(also not released).

Anandtech

Quote:
Intel plays dirty.

The closer I got to receiving a Phenom from AMD, the more Intel started dropping hints that it would be sending me something new. One day a box arrived, inside it was this chip: What you're looking at is an Intel CPU that won't be out until Q1 next year, it's the Core 2 Extreme QX9770. We received it within a matter of weeks of us publishing our last Core 2 Extreme review.