Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 9, 2010, 07:26 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Rumour Mill

I don't see anything that really knocks me over guys. Maybe I have to see more of them. I must admit that the different colours look good, but I didn't see any prices that justify a purchase either. For that kind of money I would rather get MnpcTech to mod a case for me. No offense guys.
Old June 9, 2010, 07:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

Yeah, I've never entirely understood the appeal of them. I can certainly appreciate an elegant, sexy, understated case design, but these have never really jumped out at me as being anything amazing. Different and unique in NA, sure, but they're not doing accomplishing anything that more common cases aren't managing as well.
Old June 9, 2010, 08:33 PM

My System Specs

The cases that will be sold in NA aren't even called Windy. They are 'Alexer'. What a lame ass name.
Old June 9, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Um....I hope my translator is broken but is that $450 for a case? That's ridiculous. I can understand if tolerances were extremely tight and its made of expensive metals but they don't look special at all to me, just another ordinary case. Not my cup of tea and not to mention the fact that the cost is completely bonkers. I agree with fishing fanatic, at those prices, getting a custom case is a much better idea but to each their own.

Old June 10, 2010, 07:47 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The cases that will be sold in NA aren't even called Windy. They are 'Alexer'. What a lame ass name.
Actually , alexer is just the name of one of the windy cases....(it's an htpc case)

------

450$ isnt really that much for a quality case.I've been a LIAN-Li user for many years , and if you go look at lian-li's current offerings , several of them are 500$ +.

All custom cases start out as a regular case.....I am quite capable of modding my own case , I don't need to pay someone to do it....I am however looking for a good canvas to start on.

Old June 10, 2010, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Windy Cases

For inspiration go to the off topic section and browse through the hot babes pretty ladies thread. Even if it doesn't give you the inspiration for a mod, at least it should put a smile on your face.
Old June 10, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame

Hehe

----

Yer right lowfat , They are rebranded under 'Alexer'.....

There is some legal issue with the 'windy' name or something.

Doesnt bother me....I'd still buy one.

Old June 10, 2010, 08:36 AM
Top Prospect

Looking at the WWW-Online website, I'd say that Alexer is a line of cases. The cases all seem to have the WiNDy branding. Though it looks like their website needs updating unless anyone else can view any of the other cases besides the FX2000R4 and the VR2000.

To add to BrainEaters defense of the price, these are made from 1.2 to 2 mm aluminum, not cold rolled steel. That adds a fair chunk of change to the price and for most people it probably isn't worth it. But having aluminum in that range of thickness adds options to modding the case that cold rolled doesn't have (I'm thinking of welding in particular). That said, I wouldn't want to do very much modding with a case like that, all I'd end up doing is messing up those nice clean lines.

edited to correct my awkward phrasing
Old June 10, 2010, 08:46 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry D View Post
Looking at the WWW-Online website, I'd say that Alexer is a line of cases. The cases all seem to have the WiNDy branding. Though it looks like their website needs updating unless anyone else can view any of the other cases besides the FX2000R4 and the VR2000.
All the cases will be sold under the Alexer name. They just don't have updated pictures of all the cases on their site. That is if they ever get sold in North America. They were already suppose to be available here by now.
Old June 10, 2010, 01:01 PM
Top Prospect

You're right lowfat, and I should have looked a little deeper before commenting. I do wonder though, why are all these nice aluminum cases coming from Asia? As Canada is a world leader in aluminum production I have to wonder if it is just the lower domestic demand or a lack leadership in the field or just a cultural feeling that pc = meh?