Go Back   Hardware Canucks > NEWS & REVIEWS > Rumor Mill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 31, 2010, 02:06 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fiendo View Post
He was getting a lot of flak (and really, the latest drivers had been out for 2 days and offered a marginal increase?) and considering how much the man obviously cares for his creation, I could see him being fed up with the lack of respect for his work. I won't do a job if all that will happen is I'll be abused and shat on.
I have to say I am on the fence about the whole situation.

While I know how brutally hard it is to benchmark things, especially when you have to redo it when driver's come out, part of the reason it was as such, so that he could reduce testing time by taking benchmarks he had already run because Fermi got to reviewers so late - An arguably acceptable solution when the guy had to run over 22 individual game benchmarks for every single card. Multiply that by 3-5 for each run and you have to invest ridiculous amounts of time for one review so large.

However, according to ATI, 10.3 did offer enormous improvements in many games, and even the 10.2's were part of ATI's two part driver improvement. We are also talking the biggest graphics card launch for NVIDIA since 2007. The least that could have been done was to take some extra time, and test the primary competitions cards with the the previous months drivers instead of attempting to shave off extra time by using old results.

I have the utmost respect for W1zzard and TPU, I just think it was a poorly calculated move to increase the number of benchmarks and include more graphics cards by only having to run them once every so often. This is a compromise that is acceptable for charts or rehash reviews but I don't think appropriate for a product launch review

On the flip side, the answer is DEFINITELY not to go the Kyle Bennett route and only handpick 4 titles, a few of which are debatable in terms of there validity as a benchmark.

Despite all that though, this is a huge blow on the industry to have him bow out. I am a daily visitor to TPU and love their content. GPU-Z is an invaluable tool to so many people, and the community there has always been great because of staff and W1zz. He is involved, he cares and is able to adapt the website to what users want. He definitely one of the top admins/reviewers in the tech world.

Last edited by FiXT; March 31, 2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old March 31, 2010, 02:12 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

God damn it.

I hate when the punks and idiots with a sense of entitlement wear down the patience of perfectly good men and women like this. I really hope this is an elaborate April Fools' joke.
Old March 31, 2010, 02:47 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovine.baron View Post
God damn it.

I hate when the punks and idiots with a sense of entitlement wear down the patience of perfectly good men and women like this. I really hope this is an elaborate April Fools' joke.
I blame this on the ATI fanboys who bash anyone and everything if they don't do it right to ensure AMD/ATI looks good aside from downplaying Fermi.
Old March 31, 2010, 02:56 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm confused...he is quiting doing reviews...or he is no longer supporting GPU-Z and the like? This could also be an April fools joke...? That said, if he used ATI driver version 9.12 in the fermi launch review...he might as well of forgot to put in the ATI 5000 series while he was at it....ok...maybe it's not that bad. He made a HUGE "boo boo" using a year old driver for a review.
The more I think about this though...it must be a April fools joke...cause nobody would use that driver in a current review.....this must be a joke.

Edit: checked the review. I assume that the 9.12 was used for reference on older ATI cards and 10.3 was used for the 5000 series. If that is the case then I take it back. It is fine in the context it was presented...he just should have put in some fine print *9.12 on older cards used from older reviews for rough comparison only. I do hope this is a April fools joke...I like his reviews because he uses alot of cards and you can compare older cards for upgrade purposes.

Last edited by Wi-Fuzzy; March 31, 2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old March 31, 2010, 03:04 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Sad if true. Hopefully a joke, but as a reviewer of a major tech site, folks are just waiting to pick apart and attack every graph, method, and sentence fragment. This is a sad, but expected, part of the internet today.

edit: Looking through the thread, does not look like a joke.
Fold for team #54196

Last edited by chrisk; March 31, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old March 31, 2010, 04:08 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
Sad if true. Hopefully a joke, but as a reviewer of a major tech site, folks are just waiting to pick apart and attack every graph, method, and sentence fragment. This is a sad, but expected, part of the internet today.
True that. You could add that some who post, make assumptions, misconstrue, misrepresent and just plain ole' make stuff up.
I hope that the you reviewers realize that most people who read your reviews don't bother to post at all, but silently appreciate the work you do. My distributed friends & contacts do read the reviews (with differing levels of enthusiasm) then they talk to me (poor fools).
ThnX again for all the good work.
Sadly though, squeaky wheels still get a lot of attention.
P.s. I too hope the W1zzard reconsiders. We all need a break now and then.
MAIN: i5 3570 @ 4.5Ghz wH100 / evga GTX780 SOC / MSI Z77A-G45 / 8gb G.Skill 2133 1T / 30" 2560x1600 / Antec P280 / PCP&C 950w / Intel 520 SSD 240gb / Eclipse / G3-Lazer / z5300 / Win7 Pro64 / APC Xs1300
HTPC : nMedia6000B / AMD X2 4400+ / M2A-VM / Corsair 4GB 800 / LiteOn Blu-Ray / 8800GT / Samsung 46"LCD / 2x2TB / OCZ500 / ATI550 / Wrless Kbrd & Rmte / z-5500 / Win7Pro / APC700
"You must be the change you want to see in the world" 
- Mahatma Gandhi  
Old March 31, 2010, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

Damn, if true, this is out of left field. Still, a part of me isn't that surprised that this happened somewhere. Seriously, the GPU hardware sector has been getting absolutely vitriolic over the last year or so, and far too many forums are just letting it ride, instead of clamping down and telling people to act remotely civilized. And from the sounds of it, both ATI and Nvidia haven't been doing reviewers any favours lately, putting people like Wiz between a rock and a hard place.
Old March 31, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I'm not defending the bashing he took, but he made a HUGE error not going with the latest and greatest driver especially for such a caustic subject as graphics cards. There is no other computer part that brings out the absolute worst in people than the graphics card. ON a side note, stepping down is probably the right thing to do since readers are getting ridiculous in demands that they expect from reviewers. Most of us don't even get paid for this and yet we are expected to do this like a job. Any way you look at it this is a sad situation.
Old March 31, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I agree he makes good reviews and tests a lot of cards but doesn't use min frame rate but that is o.k.

Do the drivers seriously improve THAT much in AVG FPS other than 1 or 2 FPS?

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old March 31, 2010, 09:46 PM
Hall of Fame

My System Specs

ATI Catalyst 10.3 WHQL Driver Released | Hardware Canucks

10.3's were anywhere from between 2-20% with a majority hovering around 5%-8% in nearly all of the games tested.

As you can see, the 10.3's in particular were a HUGE update. I don't think ANY reviewer used the 10.3 WHQL drivers, but I know Mike at least had access to 10.3a (BETA's) when Fermi arrived and that was what was tested.